Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Weaning a Milkaholic

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 1:50 pm
My 11 month old son would happily nurse all day, given the chance.

However, it is affecting his appetite... He is hungry and won't eat... I know he is hungry because he is wingy and miserable, and finally if I convince him to eat, he is a different child, happy.

I know it's the milk b/c 1) when he's at a babysitter (and not being nursed) he eats beautifully 2) also if I don't nurse him he eats much better.

But I don't have any idea how to wean him, he's very attached to nursing. How can I wean him easily?

proudmom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 7:28 pm
Are you planning to substitute the nursing with (liquid)?

1stimer

Post Fri, Aug 12 2005, 2:52 am
Just water. And I don't want to give him a bottle.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Aug 12 2005, 1:00 pm
Breatmilk or formula should be a childs main nurition till they are 1. you son is only 11 months and should still have breatmilk as his main source of nutrition. Nutrition wise is should be fine if you are nursing him whenever he wants. He may not want to take food from you. Try to get other people to feed him like your husband or a friend. Also don't stress about food for him its not worth it. Breatmilk is so much more healthier anyways. One thing that made my kids more apt to eating food was giving them more finger foods (homemade french fries, avocado, cooked pieces of carrot, pieces of chicken, crackers) so that they could feed themselves and offering it all the time. After awhile he will get used to food.

He may just be stubborn and doesn't want food cause he likes your milk or he may indigestion (silent reflux). Often children with silent reflux don't want food. I know my son didn't want food cause of an upset stomach.

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:30 pm
Quote:
Nutrition wise is should be fine if you are nursing him whenever he wants.

Nope, it's not enough for him. He is hungry if I 'just' nurse him whenever he wants. He needs real food as well.

Anyway, over the last couple of days, I have managed to wean him down to 'only' nursing every 2 1/2 - 3 hours!! And he is eating much better. Not sure whether he is eating better because he is nursing less or he is nursing less b/c he is eating better though!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics