Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Gluten free for weight loss, non celiac

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:26 am
If you stopped eating gluten for weight loss only, would you eat things like regular oatmeal that says "contains gluten" but is 100% oats?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:38 am
I can't have gluten due to non-celiac digestive issues and I don't think going gf is in and of itself a helpful way to lose weight. I've never actually heard of it as a weight loss plan and I remember reading that more ppl actually gain weight when going gluten free. There's no reason to assume that gf products are healthier or lower calorie - in fact there's often a bunch of other junk in it to compensate for the taste if you aren't careful about what products you're eating.

Unless you're trying to go for a lower carb diet? In which case just do lower carbs. Gf substitutes can still be very high carb.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:32 pm
I am no expert, but friends who went gluten free, focus on beans, veggies, protein did lose lots of weight.

realsilver

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I am no expert, but friends who went gluten free, focus on beans, veggies, protein did lose lots of weight.

That’s carb free, not gluten free

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:43 pm
I went off gluten for digestive reasons but was eating lots of rice, potatoes and rice flour products.
Now for several months I've reduced carbs drastically and BH lost over 20 lbs.

If oatmeal agrees with you, it's a healthy, filling food.

Some people find eating carbs makes you more hungry. But because oats are a larger grain they are more slowly digested and perhaps don't raise blood sugar as much. But everyone reacts differently to different foods.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:46 pm
I’m gluten free for non celiac reasons and try to only use gf certified oats

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:45 pm
I've been GF for health reasons for 8 years or so. I used to be careful to buy the GF oats but I started buying regular and I think it's fine but I only use it for making hamotzi rolls or matzah. I don't eat it regularly as I need to be off most grains (low carb) as gf corn/rice/potato/tapioca based substitutes as really unhealthy and raise my blood sugar like crazy.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:53 am
realsilver wrote:
That’s carb free, not gluten free

Beans are not low carb.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise