Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
S/O REAL Tips for magazine writers

mamma llama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:52 pm
Any and all tips welcome!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:55 pm
What's on my mind now is the recent story in the familyfirst. Not to say it wasn't well written - it was! It was beautiful. But the way familyfirst accepts emotional pieces that need to follow a pattern of going back and forth between emotional/concepts to phsyical/tangible so it's "relatable" makes me find the style very repetitive.

Is this just me? I found the style and what type of ideas coming next, too predictable. Written well but predictable.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:01 pm
What sort of writing are you interested in OP? Fiction? Features? Interviews?

mamma llama

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
What sort of writing are you interested in OP? Fiction? Features? Interviews?

I'm mostly into fiction writing, but if anyone has advice on any kind of writing...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:06 pm
Obviously, English is not my mother tongue. But as we would say in French: don't farthe higher than your behind...

Meaning: don't try to use sophisticated language that you don't really know how to use.
It's better to keep it simple and correct.

The same goes for sentence structure: make three short sentences rather than one long one.

Understand that the reader doesn't know what you know.
You have to take him by the hand and lead him through your story or report. If the reader feels too stupid to understand you, it's not his fault, but yours.

Proofread once to check that pronouns are referring to the right antecedent. If something is murky, rephrase. It's preferable to err on the side of excessive clarity.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:08 pm
My advice would be to read good books on writing.

singleagain

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:17 pm
I've heard that reading your story out loud or having someone else read it out loud helps your ear pick up mistakes your eyes miss

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:18 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Any and all tips welcome!

Maybe post a link to your thesaurus here too. It sounds great!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:22 pm
If you're interested in writing fiction then you have to read fiction. Mind blowingly wonderful fiction, fiction that takes you places and opens your mind and teaches you things, not just things but movement and shape and feeling, the way the human works, the depth of emotion. The best way to learn how to write fiction well is to read high quality, beautifully written fiction.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
My advice would be to read good books on writing.

Recommendations?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:44 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
What's on my mind now is the recent story in the familyfirst. Not to say it wasn't well written - it was! It was beautiful. But the way familyfirst accepts emotional pieces that need to follow a pattern of going back and forth between emotional/concepts to phsyical/tangible so it's "relatable" makes me find the style very repetitive.

Is this just me? I found the style and what type of ideas coming next, too predictable. Written well but predictable.

Which story are you referring to?

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:44 pm
Good dialogue is one of the most important elements in a short story.

I found this helpful:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....6eVfa

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 4:34 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Which story are you referring to?

IT was in this past family first about a mother whose daughter struggled in yiddishkeit and died at age 16. It was fiction.

singleagain

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:00 pm
Also with fiction. It has to actually be believable. You can't just make up anything.

Do you research. And/or create your world ahead of time. If you do build as you go, don't lock yourself into rules that you might need to break in the future.

Some rough outline might be a good idea to help that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club