Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organizational idea for three kids in a room

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:42 am
I need to move my almost 3 year old in with two older sisters (ages 6 and 7).

I need her room for my 4 month old baby (they can’t share, I need the baby to have her own room).

It won’t be a permanent move, but at least for a year or two until The baby is older (and then they will move in together).

How do I fit all of their stuff into one room? Right now I have dressers for each of them (which are full!!) and the hanging goes in the closet. I don’t think I can fit a third dresser in without making the room overloaded!! I don’t want to get a bunk bed right now just to save space

Any organizational idea on how to
1- set up a room nicely with three indivisl beds and dressers
2- fix up a closet to make it more practical?

Just to add- I didn’t tell the two year old yet but I don’t think any of the kids will have a problem with the move as long as I’m ahead of the game and figure out a way to make it nice for them all

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:53 am
Give us A sketch of the room with dimensions. And dimensions of dressers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:57 am
Room is like a square. Closet in one corner, On the same wall as the door (with a small wall in between the door and the closet)

Do you really need dimensions of everything (so nice of you to offer to help me!! Just wondering if you really need me to take measurements or general idea is enough?)

Dressers are on the wider side. Three rows of drawers (not a tall dresser)

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:58 am
If you watch YouTube, look out for hacks on organizing small bedroom. There are such great tips on there, and you can pick and choose what speaks to you. Especially great is watching 'doing it on a dime or 'minimalist mom'

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Room is like a square. Closet in one corner, On the same wall as the door (with a small wall in between the door and the closet)

Do you really need dimensions of everything (so nice of you to offer to help me!! Just wondering if you really need me to take measurements or general idea is enough?)

Dressers are on the wider side. Three rows of drawers (not a tall dresser)

So a tall instead of wide dresser may help with the space issue. Can you leave your third wide dresser in the baby room and let one of your big girls choose a tall dresser for herself and pass down the wide one to the toddler?

Otherwise:
Is there space for a bed sideways on the wall between the door and the closet? Put toddler there if you can. Then the bigger girls each have their bed in a corner with each one's dresser next to the head of the bed opening towards each other (so they get a bit of privacy and a surface near their bed for stuff.

You can put a second rod in the closet lower down for the toddlers stuff.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:25 pm
Cabinets on top of bed can go for books, games, trinkets so you can have more space in armoire/closet/dresser for clothes.

If you have space issues, I would leave her clothes in her previous room. You take out the clothes yourself not she.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:28 pm
You can do like a bridge. 2 armoires, one by each side of bed with overhead cabinets shelves on top of bed.
Maybe custom or put together on own with ind pieces

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:32 pm
Does the 2 yr old sleep in a regular size bed or toddler bed?

lfab

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:37 pm
Can you leave toddler's clothes in the room with the baby? Then all you need to for in is an extra bed. If you have or get a toddler bed that will save even more space. Also, I don't know if you want to invest in new furniture right now but if you can replace the long dressers with tall chests instead you'll save a lot of space.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:42 pm
Thank you all for the amazing suggestions!!

Toddler is in a big bed. If I can fit the bed between door and closet, then her head is “left hanging”/not against a wall... can’t put a headboard there, that would look funny. And if I have her head against that wall and the sides are open, the bed will be in the mid of the room and taking up way to much space.

I can def get one tall chest.. that would be smart.

I think the closet has a lot of unused space. Shelves on top but too high for anyone to reach (including me!)

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for the amazing suggestions!!

Toddler is in a big bed. If I can fit the bed between door and closet, then her head is “left hanging”/not against a wall... can’t put a headboard there, that would look funny. And if I have her head against that wall and the sides are open, the bed will be in the mid of the room and taking up way to much space.

I can def get one tall chest.. that would be smart.

I think the closet has a lot of unused space. Shelves on top but too high for anyone to reach (including me!)

Not sure why the head not against a wall is bugging you so much, but ok. That will make it harder though because you only have 2 corners and 3 beds. What about a bed with a built in head and foot board? Would it make you feel better to put one of the bigger girls there?

Do the kids have a drawer full of out of season stuff you can move to the top of the closet for part of the year? Baskets or small drawers ontop of a dresser may free up drawer space from small things like hair accessories.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:05 pm
2 thoughts.
1 you can attach a rod lower in the closet so its actually useful
2 how about really going thru all the kids clothing and being brutally honest about what they really need (decide how many tops and bottoms and shabbos outfits and then pair down and get rid of all the extras)

SingALong

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:29 pm
Would you trade in their beds for a bunk bed with a trundle? Or bunk bed with draws beneath and regular bed across? The dresser can be between them.
I have a room with 3 kids, bunk bed with trundle, dresser across, door of room on same wall as closet.
I also have shelves going down middle of closet for bins of clothing. Double hanging next to shelves. If your closet has room for that you may want to consider it, that gave me tons of space.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:22 pm
Measure the space between the floor and the bottom of the bed. Purchase a few bins with covers that can fit underneath. You can store clothing, shoes, out of season, and even some toys. The child is young so clothing is small. When things change, those bins can be repurposed.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:28 pm
Can you put a narrow tall dresser on that wall between closet and drawer.
Also they sell hanging shelves for the closet
Third look into underbed storage

Sort and get rid of used or out of fashion clothing
You can store out of season clothing in the other room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics