Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nosh / Junk food
Previous  1  2

Do you believe in giving your child nash
All the time as long as they brush teeth  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Only as a treat or for special occassions  
 82%  [ 33 ]
Never don't encourage kids in this pattern  
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

Sunshine

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 7:13 pm
freilich wrote:
Bissili I might give for snack aswell as cookies and granola bars, fruit roll ups too, maybe?
Real Junk I will give only on shabbos pekelach! And hard candys aswell as gum have NO place in our home

If Bissili, cookies, granola bars and fruit roll up are not junk, Freilich, what do you consider junk?

YAEL "by the way what do you consider as nosh?
is chips, pretzels,popcorn considered nosh? or when you say you give nosh for a snack do you mean liccorice, bisli, cookies, I dont know what else?
is a healthy snack considered to be fruits n' vegies or chips?"

I am wondering the same. What do you ladies consider nosh?

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 7:57 pm
Nosh to me is candies, gum, chips, cookies cakes...pretzels is borderline for me. I wouldt limit pretzels as much as I would limit cake.

I would rather my kids have a bag of chips as a treat/nosh as it doesnt have much sugar as candies/cake/cookies

proudmom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 8:57 pm
The only junk food that I have in my home is crackers and rice cakes.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 10:07 pm
Whats wrong with pretzels? Our dentist encourages eating them. Good for the teeth. Just get the salt free ones.

Sara

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 10:08 pm
Quote:
If Bissili, cookies, granola bars and fruit roll up are not junk, Freilich, what do you consider junk?

Liqorice, sour sticks, chocolate etc as you can see I know alot about junk and I still have 25lbs to lose. Um I wonder why? LOL

Believe it or not in this out of town place even though we can't get milk always etc! There is no prob getting this, isn't that crazy!!!!!!

Sunshine

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 10:43 pm
It is very interesting that most people consider candy junk and not nosh. Is this because of dental reasons which affect the pocket more($), because niether are good for the body.

Chanie

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 3:47 pm
for pple who limit candy because of the harm to the teeth, I was told by a dentist that potato chips are actuaaly worst cuz the starch gets stuck in your teeth and sits there longer creating cavities (where as candy is on your teeth only for the time you are eatting it) In that respect potato chips are not good either.
Growing up I had nosh in my house while many of my friends only had it for special occasions. I never hogged the candies at a party while many of my friends would... why? because they felt deprived (I personally limit but not restrict, my son with all nosh)

imaamy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 12:24 am
At my kids' school there is so much junk all the time for treats--chips and cookies on Fridays, Krispy Kreme for birthday, ice cream, it goes on and on. At home we ration the treats and encourage healthier options but we don't forbid candy or cookies always.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 4:28 am
You may have heard of the tragic death of the 2 year old grandson of Jerusalem mayor Uri Lupolianski during a dental procedure. The child had such bad dental problems that he needed to be put under general anesthesia and l"a never woke up. Why did such a small child need such extensive dental work? Read this article:
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/S.....79865

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:04 am
Well we all here agree giving a child 2 and under is more then crazy, I was talking more about older kids!

Yael

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 1:27 pm
I would give chips, popcorn and pretzels for a snack, though not too often, (I'd rather he fill up on more nutritious foods, but for school its for sure fine. I would also give a fruit for snack. cake cookies -for special treats like shabbos. ice cream -only if I cant get away with it (if everyone else is having at a party so he gets a tablespoon).
all the other nosh you mentioned never enters my home and I hardly even see it except in the store and even then not.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 2:28 pm
I grew up with it everywhere in my house. When my friends would come over they went nuts. Personally I don't really care for nosh. I don't have the tivah. My sister either.

sara

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 3:53 pm
I wanted to ask you guys what you think
kids go to a bday and get stuffed with nush then come home with party bags full of nush what do you???? let them save it for shabbos perhaps

do you consider crisps and pretzals nush??/
I get very worried as im diabetic
the problem is my mum kept me away from nush and when I found it I went mad

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 4:18 pm
Quote:
let them save it for shabbos perhaps

Or share it with siblings etc!

But in our b/day loot bags I do not give nash I will give katchkes from the dollar store I.e. Like stickers, key chains, pencil with erasers, sunglasses, those type of gimmicks. Since they had enuf nash at the b/day they do not need any to bring home.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 10:51 am
Looks like we have two thread on this too the one w/h poisen Wink . Can't we combine or atleast tye it together somehow Tongue Out

lucky

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 11:21 am
Wink I'm the sweet junkie in my house. but for me I need 1 jellybean and it satisfies my craving. My big kids do help themselves to the nnash. I also LOVE chocolate.
But I do try to include lots of healthy food (to counteract the junk?)
In general my kids only have soda and candy on shabbos (along with lots of fruits) Cake that I bake(at least it has no coloring or preservatives)
and pretzels are always available.
Summertime I freeze Orange juice.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 12:44 pm
Quote:
But I do try to include lots of healthy food (to counteract the junk?)
In general my kids only have soda and candy on shabbos (along with lots of fruits) Cake that I bake(at least it has no coloring or preservatives)

Atlast..... there's someone normal out there Twisted Evil

lucy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2005, 8:55 pm
Excuse my ignorance but why is pretzels considered nosh?
I will give my kids pretzels, fruit , yogurt popscicles (I make with fruit) as snacks. The only soda that enters my house is seltzer, & the odd time (but this is for me black cherry cott embarrassed ) My husband is a snapple holic so he'll have sometimes but the kids will just want a taste then the move on.

For shabbos sometimes we'll have chips or icecream. But never candy nosh. I do admit when my daughter goes to shull there is a candy man in shull who gives everyone lollys, so if my husband is able to distract her she doesn't get but sometimes she is so upset that everyone has & not her so he lets her have one, but only ONE! Sometimes by a kiddush she'll have orange soda if there is nothing else better.

Though I do admit there is always a lot of cookies & cake in the house, but only what I back which is mostly healthy ( honey, whole grain flours ect.)

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 3:45 am
I learned the hard way to stop bringing candy into the house. My older children didn't have as many cavities, because they had regular dental checkups and got flouride treatments and sealants. But when our insurance changed, it took a while to find a new dentist who would accept it. So the youngest one didn't get the sealants his brothers and sisters got.... He needed alot of dental treatment after that.... I was so shocked about a little kid needing root canals, that the candy stopped coming into the house, with immediate results. He hasn't complained about a toothache in a long time b'h.

Aish

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:38 pm
[quote="manda"]
Quote:
I wanted to ask you guys what you think
kids go to a bday and get stuffed with nush then come home with party bags full of nush what do you???? let them save it for shabbos perhaps

this is what I do.
Quote:
do you consider crisps and pretzals nush??/

yes. its high in carbs and raises the suger level and its empty calories.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics