Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Bnos penina tiferes yechiel Lakewood
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:44 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I send to these 2 schools.
My 4 year old speaks english fully to the other boys and only the teachers speak yiddish.
He will have a hard time there..

Oh well. They can’t send to a too chassidish school though. Maybe a tutor? Whatever. Hope it’ll work out for them.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:46 pm
Honestly kids adapt very well.
So I wouldnt be too worried.

(My son has a few yiddish speaking boys in his class amd they look like theyre doing just fine.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Honestly kids adapt very well.
So I wouldnt be too worried.

(My son has a few yiddish speaking boys in his class amd they look like theyre doing just fine.)

Oh good. Thanks!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:51 pm
She should probably enroll them in a school where they will fit in long term. Kids that age usually pick up the language quickly. I would also suggest she starts teaching them english now before they move.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:53 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
She should probably enroll them in a school where they will fit in long term. Kids that age usually pick up the language quickly. I would also suggest she starts teaching them english now before they move.

Do you have any suggestions on how to teach English to kids who live in a Yiddish/Hebrew speaking community?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:01 pm
I guess the English teaching suggestions is for a new thread..

But thanks so much for your advice.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:10 pm
bnm wrote:
Tiferes Yecheil speaks Yiddish, mostly chasidish families. Even if they don't speak 100 percent yiddish at home they speak/understand. Bnos Penina isn't chasidish. They teich Chumesh to English. First grade does do teich to Yiddish then English.

I would love it if Bnos Penina teiched in English. They do Yiddish teich with some English translation.
The girls are a big mix some Israely's, Americans, Yeshivish, Chasidish, ect.
There are some classes that are Trilingel with girls speaking English, Hebrew,and Yiddish as their MaMa tongue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I would love it if Bnos Penina teiched in English. They do Yiddish teich with some English translation.
The girls are a big mix some Israely's, Americans, Yeshivish, Chasidish, ect.
There are some classes that are Trilingel with girls speaking English, Hebrew,and Yiddish as their MaMa tongue.

Wow! Sounds good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:54 pm
Will the girl belong in a 4 yr old playgroup rather then school send to a warm Yiddish playgroup were there will be English and Yiddish. Most 4 yr olds don’t go to school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Will the girl belong in a 4 yr old playgroup rather then school send to a warm Yiddish playgroup were there will be English and Yiddish. Most 4 yr olds don’t go to school.

will she learn to speak English in such a playgroup? If yes, then that's wonderful. Are there any playgroups for 4/5 year olds, or only 3/4?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
will she learn to speak English in such a playgroup? If yes, then that's wonderful. Are there any playgroups for 4/5 year olds, or only 3/4?

Yes there is 4\5 year old playgroups

mommy2x

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:25 am
In Lakewood, people don't apply to school until primary /pre-1a/the grade before first grade. Usually the kids in that grade turn 5 for sure by Nov or Dec and then start turning 6 Nov or Dec time. If they come in 4 turning 5,most likely they will go to a kindergarten group. Some schools do offer kindergartens but it's mostly staff kids/siblings. Most people wait until primary to send. So you would be looking into playgroups for the kids. Lakewood has a tonnnn of playgroups for all ages so you want one that is either near their house, work, yeshiva, or on route. If you send to a Yiddish speaking one, they may not understand English unless they pick it up from neighbors. What Americans in Israel have found was they send their kid to Israeli playgroups which speak Hebrew and they speak English at home and the kids learn that way. Not saying that would for sure work here but it's something to keep in mind... If they send to a Yiddish speaking group but aren't chassidish while all the rest of the kids are, the kids will likely feel out of place. There are plenty of heimish groups that speak Yiddish and English. If they plan on going to litvish schools it may not be smart to look I to chassidish groups. Also, another thing to keep in mind, most morahs here already filled up for next year so she should be doing research already! Same if she was applying to schools. Most schools closed registration and aren't accepting more applications. There is always the ability to push /hope later but if it's a serious plan to be here for the next school year, she should be calling people already.
Lots of luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:37 am
Thank you so much mommy2, your post was so helpful. It will be so much easier to get them into playgroups than schools. I guess I'll start a new thread on playgroups. good night.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much mommy2, your post was so helpful. It will be so much easier to get them into playgroups than schools. I guess I'll start a new thread on playgroups. good night.

You don't know Lakewood getting into playgroups is not easy. Sometimes it is easier to get into a school then to get into a playgroup. You missed the big registration period now the best thing to do is wait until July\August it is not easy when you think you will never get into a place but most playgroups are not taking registration now.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:42 am
I know afew very chassidish families covered wigs that send to tiferes yechial. Their boys don't have a good English. I think that the younger classes are more English speakers and the older are more chassidish yiddish speakers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:10 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
You don't know Lakewood getting into playgroups is not easy. Sometimes it is easier to get into a school then to get into a playgroup. You missed the big registration period now the best thing to do is wait until July\August it is not easy when you think you will never get into a place but most playgroups are not taking registration now.

Oh no I don’t know Lakewood. So should she wait till August to find a playgroup for that year? Why will it be easier to find one right before she’ll have to send them?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:18 am
She should not wait until August-
Most playgroups are full for next year.
She should put her name down on a few Morahs waiting lists and this way if a slot opens up she’ll have an option before others who never even called.
Hopefully- if by July August she still doesn’t have a slot something will open by then.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:29 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
She should not wait until August-
Most playgroups are full for next year.
She should put her name down on a few Morahs waiting lists and this way if a slot opens up she’ll have an option before others who never even called.
Hopefully- if by July August she still doesn’t have a slot something will open by then.

Makes sense. Thanks!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no I don’t know Lakewood. So should she wait till August to find a playgroup for that year? Why will it be easier to find one right before she’ll have to send them?

She should not look until she knows were she is living. I do a playgroup near Bais Aaron so I get people from all over Lakewood\Jackson. I have people calling me that they are moving to Lakewood and want to send. Any one who does not live\work\learn near me pulls out. A SAHM is not driving every day for over 1\2 hour one way for playgroup. Other people find out that my playgroup is no were near there work or home and it is much to bring them to me. Most people can not belive how big Lakewood is until they move.

In August the whole town sifts as people change jobs, move, ect. and spots open up all over town.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:14 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
She should not look until she knows were she is living. I do a playgroup near Bais Aaron so I get people from all over Lakewood\Jackson. I have people calling me that they are moving to Lakewood and want to send. Any one who does not live\work\learn near me pulls out. A SAHM is not driving every day for over 1\2 hour one way for playgroup. Other people find out that my playgroup is no were near there work or home and it is much to bring them to me. Most people can not belive how big Lakewood is until they move.

In August the whole town sifts as people change jobs, move, ect. and spots open up all over town.

Thank you so much. She'll be happy to hear that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries