Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What do you wish you were named?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 3:58 am
A lot of people don't really like their name, but don't want to change it because it would hurt their parents, or just be too much of a bother. If you would rather have a name other than the one your parents gave you, what name would you pick for yourself?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 4:52 am
Something without a "ch" sound

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 7:40 am
My second name.

4g01o

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 7:51 am
I love my name bh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 8:28 am
I was hoping for specific examples. Here's mine: Moriah

I also like:
Aviyah
Yahli
Liba

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:03 am
I’m a geyoris who’s given English name is a very typical Jewish name and is similar in English and Hebrew. Think Deborah. When I was megayir I chose a different Hebrew name. It’s a family name (my father was Jewish ) combined with another beautiful Tanakh name.

For various reasons I never ended up really going by my new name and most people don’t know it. In fact when I introduce myself as “Deborah” they just start calling me Devora which is not my name. When they learn my Hebrew name they’re confused and say “Chaya ? But why isn’t it Devora ?” And I have to explain. Furthermore, my Hebrew name is gorgeous and I can’t use it for a kid now bc it’s my name .

So I wish I had just gone with “devora “, even though I don’t love it, it would’ve made life easier.

Names I love but didn’t use :
Tziporah
Haddasah
Rina
Yocheved

Brachie69

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:08 am
Love my name.
Also love:
Tziporah
Aviva
Hadassah
Shoshana
Shaindy
Leora
Meirav

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:08 am
I go by a double name and my parents flipped the order for my legal name making one of the name anglicized and keeping the other name. Had they just kept the order the same I would go by both names in frum circles and the first easily pronounced name in my secular work environment. It's caused a lot of confusion over the years. At this point I've separated myself from the drama and go by whatever name I'm called in those circles

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 9:53 am
I like names with full sounds.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:05 am
I'm a BT and my Hebrew name is totally different from my English name. (Ex: Rivka and Danielle). There are equivalents for both. I would have named myself either the Hebrew equivalent of my English name or the English equivalent of my Hebrew name, just bc that kind of thing bugs me. My kids have equivalent or same names in English.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I go by a double name and my parents flipped the order for my legal name making one of the name anglicized and keeping the other name. Had they just kept the order the same I would go by both names in frum circles and the first easily pronounced name in my secular work environment. It's caused a lot of confusion over the years. At this point I've separated myself from the drama and go by whatever name I'm called in those circles

My in laws did this to a few of the kids. Some don’t care but for others it’s really annoying.

essie14

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
My in laws did this to a few of the kids. Some don’t care but for others it’s really annoying.

Yeah, I have a friend whose parents did that and she finds it so annoying.
I have another friend whose parents named her Chaya Rochel and her English name is just Rachel to ostensibly make it easier but they only called her Chayala. So she would come to school and all the girls would call her Chayala and then the teachers would call out "Rachel Friedman" and no one knew who that was. (*actual names differ but same idea)

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I’m a geyoris who’s given English name is a very typical Jewish name and is similar in English and Hebrew. Think Deborah. When I was megayir I chose a different Hebrew name. It’s a family name (my father was Jewish ) combined with another beautiful Tanakh name.

For various reasons I never ended up really going by my new name and most people don’t know it. In fact when I introduce myself as “Deborah” they just start calling me Devora which is not my name. When they learn my Hebrew name they’re confused and say “Chaya ? But why isn’t it Devora ?” And I have to explain. Furthermore, my Hebrew name is gorgeous and I can’t use it for a kid now bc it’s my name .

So I wish I had just gone with “devora “, even though I don’t love it, it would’ve made life easier.

Names I love but didn’t use :
Tziporah
Haddasah
Rina
Yocheved

Wow this is so similar to my names! My Jewish father and non Jewish mother raised me reform and gave me an English name that I went by, and the Hebrew name Sarah. When I converted I didn't want to be Sarah bas Sarah so I chose a name that matched my initials instead. But I still feel a connection with the name Sarah, to the point that I won't use it for a daughter because it would feel like naming after myself. And it gets weirder because when I was going through a certain situation and was told to change my name, one of the names I was told I could add was Sarah! Again I chose not to, because being (other name) Sarah bas Sarah wouldn't have been any less weird.

So bkitzur I sometimes wish I'd kept the name Sarah. But just in terms of what I wish I'd been named, my favorite names are Chaya, Rivka, Nechama, and Miriam. If I could go back and redo my conversion, I think I'd call myself Chaya Sarah.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:07 pm
Mine is Rivka Bracha and I like it.

Raw

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:08 pm
An androgynous name.

Sam
Dani
Elie
Toby

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:29 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Mine is Rivka Bracha and I like it.

Did you go to Chitrik?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:30 am
I love my first name, hate my middle name.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:50 am
Amalia

yonabets

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:53 am
Anaël ,Odelya,or Vered

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:11 am
My name is Ayala, and I love it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names