Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Adult children at home...rent?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At this point we couldn’t afford it but she’s not currently interested in getting married anyway. So we have time for that to come up. But when it does I would hope that she realizes spending a lifetime of money on one day is silly. We will contribute what we can but I hope I’ve raised her to see know what’s important and it isn’t a lavish wedding.

But even without the wedding, she will need money to set up her home. And pay rent. And once the kids come, boy do they cost.

I have a DD that age, and I encourage her to save as much as possible for her future. And we haven't raised her to spend lavishly for a wedding either.

With your situation, it really makes no sense that you would not qualify for more help. Is there any local council that can advise you? I really wish you could tap into any resources available to you, and get the maximum benefits you can.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
We didn’t charge rent when the children were home on school breaks but would have once they had that baccalaureate degree if they had still wanted to live at home.

Even with a degree, children often have student loans to pay off. Unless you helped pay for that degree.

I have two adult DD's, and one is pursuing a degree while also working part-time to help pay for it. She will have student loan to pay off once she's done, too. And I'm not sure she will make more money than my other DD, who chose not to pursue a degree but B"H has a lucrative job without one.

Different personalities, pursuing jobs that are suited to each of them....but just pointing out that a degree does not always equal more $$, at least not in the short-term, while they are paying for that degree.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Your last post changes things entirely.

I don't think a 22 yr old needs to pay rent if she lives in a middle class home with a middle class family.

I think it's basic derech eretz for her to contribute (I would NOT call it rent) if the family is struggling as badly as you are.

How much really depends on how much she is earning. Maybe leave the decision up to her for now.
This 100%

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:32 am
I have kids 20+ living at home. It didn't occur to me to charge rent. But they pay for their own clothes, cars and other extras.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:34 am
It sounds like she is responsible and I don't get a failure to launch vibe. If she wants to contribute, maybe something small like $100/month. Much less than any sort of market rent, but still would be a helpful contribution.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:46 am
I have older girls and mine pay for all their own expenses outside of the home (clothing, car, gas, etc.) but they live at home rent-free and eat the family food. It's expected that they give ma'aser, keep their personal expenses low, and save everything else toward their wedding and their living expenses after marriage. We will iy"H be making very simple weddings, but chasunas still cost $$, and married life can get expensive very quickly, so we want them to have a nest egg. In your situation, OP, I would think that your Rav could guide you in how to balance today's needs with tomorrow's projected expenses. Certainly your daughter's ma'aser could go to you, right? It's wonderful that she wants to contribute more to the family and the Rav may tell you to do that, but it would be good to check and see what he recommends. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is there anything you can do that would make more than $14/hour? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I'm wondering because my daughters made more than that right out of high school, with no degree and no experience. I know job situations can be very hard right now because of covid so it's maybe not possible right now.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have older girls and mine pay for all their own expenses outside of the home (clothing, car, gas, etc.) but they live at home rent-free and eat the family food. It's expected that they give ma'aser, keep their personal expenses low, and save everything else toward their wedding and their living expenses after marriage. We will iy"H be making very simple weddings, but chasunas still cost $$, and married life can get expensive very quickly, so we want them to have a nest egg. In your situation, OP, I would think that your Rav could guide you in how to balance today's needs with tomorrow's projected expenses. Certainly your daughter's ma'aser could go to you, right? It's wonderful that she wants to contribute more to the family and the Rav may tell you to do that, but it would be good to check and see what he recommends. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is there anything you can do that would make more than $14/hour? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I'm wondering because my daughters made more than that right out of high school, with no degree and no experience. I know job situations can be very hard right now because of covid so it's maybe not possible right now.

I agree that speaking with a Rav is a good idea. Please do whatever you can not to take your child’s money. She should be saving for her future. It could lead to resentment down the line.

yamaha

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:01 pm
Why doesn't she want to get married? I'm not saying everyone needs to want to (and for sure not immediately), but by her age I'd expect it to at least have crossed her mind and/or be a discussion topic. Going on a limb here, but I'm wondering if she's feeling she needs to stick around or not incur you additional expenses in response to the hardships she's seeing at home. Contributing rent would be another way she feels like she needs to be taking care of your family.

Hatzlacha and hugs, it sounds like a very difficult situation.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:37 pm
At the very least, her maaser should be given to her parents. Aside from that, my working kids pay most of their own expenses, and are expected to put away at least a third of their income towards setting up their homes.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:47 pm
Op, your situation is unique.

My parents asked me to contribute financially once I was finished with college and still living at home.
I was already paying for all my own expenses (car, insurance, clothes, toiletries, etc.)
I had already paid my own way through college.
I stayed at home for 3 years or so after college, paying them and saving some money and then I moved out.
There comes a point where adult children should not be living at home, IMO.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:56 pm
I am not a fan of charging children rent. I would tell my child to save up so that when they are living on their own they can support themselves and not depend on me.

That being said I would be ok with them using the food, toiletries and regular items we have. But if they want something different or more expensive then they can buy that for themselves.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I am not a fan of charging children rent. I would tell my child to save up so that when they are living on their own they can support themselves and not depend on me.

That being said I would be ok with them using the food, toiletries and regular items we have. But if they want something different or more expensive then they can buy that for themselves.

That is how I feel now. But when I was in my 20s my parents didn't want me using the toiletries or most of the food items. It was like they started treating me as a roommate instead of their child.
So I moved out.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:31 pm
OP, you clearly have a lot to be proud of, with your DD wanting to step in to help in your time of need. You and DH must be great parents, and she is an amazing young woman.

I would not normally charge rent. But families pitch in to help, and I would recognize that your daughter wants to do that. Let her. She's not going to feel great with money in her account and a hole in the roof.

B'li ayin hara, your family will be back on its feet soon, and you'll be able to treat her to many things in return for her current generosity.

Are you sure you're not entitled to help? The salary you listed should qualify you for some aid, and there may be organizations that could help with repairs (I assume that you don't have insurance). Can you give us a general location so maybe we can try to track down some resources?

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course this child is part of the family. My husband and I are also...we pay bills. It's more of the fact that my husband has become disabled...we are living on my pittance of a salary until his disability comes in and then it will be a step above a pittance. This child (22 yrs old) wants to contribute once their pay is stable. I guess I am looking more for info on what would be reasonable for this child to contribute.

I'm going to add some more information so that I can give a better picture of our life and the only reason why this has come up. We are poor. VERY poor. We have food stamps so I don't need this child to contribute to food. Right now we live in a busted old apt with a leaking roof, mold in the ceiling, a terrible heating system, undrinkable water, our youngest kids no longer have a bedroom because in that hurricane that came through a few months ago our roof ripped off and destroyed their bedroom. They now have beds in the living room. If we could afford to not take money from this child we would never consider it. But at this point we need more income. My husband used to make decent money, and we lived well. He then got sick and our lives fell apart. We are trying very hard to pull our lives back together but in the meantime...we just don't have enough. I make $14/hr and we are a family of 6. We are struggling...so...what seems reasonable to allow her to contribute? I also intend to make her open a savings account so she can get ahead and have money put away for a rainy day that we didn't have.

Oish, so sorry to hear this. I wish I can offer you advice. Maybe there are organization that can help you. Or any friends or family that can give you their maser money etc.

I think in this case, it would be more important if your dd can save most of her money so that she can use it to marry herself off. Getting married, even with a simple modest wedding, is still very expensive.

Hopefully things will get better for you really soon and you will be able to move to a better apartment, and have a better life.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:55 pm
Your daughter sounds wonderful.

I would take the money. Keep a cheshbon and iyh if things ever get better give it back to her. Even if its ten or twenty years.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:02 pm
No, not rent. Nothing official like that.

However, she can, and should, help out financially, in whatever amounts she can give- but relying on her as an income source has to be viewed as a temporary solution. Right now you're in a bad financial situation, she is an adult and is able to help out- A plus B equals C, she should help out. Let her help out. But this not a long term solution. Go back to the drawing board- what can you do to improve your financial situation? Your daughter can, and should, pitch in temporarily, but don't become dependent on her and don't view this as a long term solution. This should not go on long-term so don't let your mind go there- for the short term it is fine. It isn't fair to her or to you to make this a long term thing- allow her to be free to leave and marry when she is ready, with some money to start her life off with.

What do you do that you make just $14/hr?

(In my childhood home, adult children did their best to pitch in financially- so my advice is grounded in real world experience)

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:11 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
As my parents say: "What's the rush? You have the rest of your life to be responsible and pay bills. Let someone take care of this stuff for now."

Learning to be responsible can look like her buying her own clothes, or saving the money for later expenses once she gets married.

THIS!
She should save up for her wedding.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:19 pm
gold21 wrote:

What do you do that you make just $14/hr?

I work as a Morah. I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before that so I took what I could when I knew my husband would need to quit his job.
I used to be licensed in something medical but I let my license lapse and now I need to take classes to reinstate the license and it’s difficult as there aren’t any places near by and they classes that are within a couple hours driving distance always seem fall on either Pesach or Rosh Hoshanah/Yom Kippur.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Are you sure you're not entitled to help? The salary you listed should qualify you for some aid, and there may be organizations that could help with repairs (I assume that you don't have insurance). Can you give us a general location so maybe we can try to track down some resources?

We’ve applied for everything we could find and food stamps and healthcare were all we qualified for.

BH we did get a letter today that my husband meets the requirements for the medical part of ssdi now he has to be approved for the non medical part whatever that means.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work as a Morah. I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before that so I took what I could when I knew my husband would need to quit his job.
I used to be licensed in something medical but I let my license lapse and now I need to take classes to reinstate the license and it’s difficult as there aren’t any places near by and they classes that are within a couple hours driving distance always seem fall on either Pesach or Rosh Hoshanah/Yom Kippur.

How old is your youngest child?

You work as a Morah in a school?

Would you consider opening your own playgroup?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children