Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Question about my antibody results

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:05 pm
Hi,

I had a test done, and the result came back at 8.9. It then says that anything above a 15.0 is positive, and anything below is negative.

I'm just wondering if the fact that I had anything above zero means I had antibodies at one point and now it's just below that positive threshold? What does it mean to have results above zero but below 15.0?

I tried googling the answer but couldn't find anything, and I don't want to bother the lab since I really have no reason to be asking except curiosity.

thanks!

Miri1

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 3:39 pm
Assuming you did the same type as I did, there is also a borderline number (12-15 I think), which would indicate a retest.

If you got a low number, it is possible that in a few weeks you could have a higher one as the antibodies develop.

However a low number doesn't automatically mean you had any exposure at all, since there are other viruses that could skew the test. That is why it isn't considered a positive unless it is above a certain threshold.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:18 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Assuming you did the same type as I did, there is also a borderline number (12-15 I think), which would indicate a retest.

If you got a low number, it is possible that in a few weeks you could have a higher one as the antibodies develop.

However a low number doesn't automatically mean you had any exposure at all, since there are other viruses that could skew the test. That is why it isn't considered a positive unless it is above a certain threshold.

Interesting, ty!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:52 pm
My number was 87. I was very sick a few months before.
My husbands number was 190. He was also sick but took the test right after he was sick.
Even if you did have enough antibodies to protect you, you certainly don’t have now.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:56 pm
A low number under 15 does not indicate exposure.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:08 pm
Every lab has different kind of #s they work with. I originally took the mayo clinic from refuah monsey I had very low at 320.. Then I went to a diff lab.. My results were 28 back in.may and last week it was 24

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:52 pm
Um afaik infectious diseases docs don’t (at least not all) believe in the antibodies meaning much Hiding

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 7:57 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Um afaik infectious diseases docs don’t (at least not all) believe in the antibodies meaning much Hiding
and lots of drs do believe that once u had it you're good for life.
I was exposed multiple times to covid.. Bh never got it again.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

No one knows if we’re immune for life because this is all so new. We know we’re immune for a few months. Time will tell how long the antibodies are good for.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:06 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

Maybe?
But your second statement nulls your first if I wanted to believe that...
I’ll go by the doctor I know and trust.
Fwiw I had Covid in March (presumed) had antibodies in July and had a mild case (loss of taste & smell, low grade fever etc) in October.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

I don’t believe a dr says you can’t get it again ever again. I think the time frame is unknown.
All previous coronaviruses antibodies get less. It can take 3 months or 2 years depending on the type. But I don’t think any previous coronavirus gives lifetime immunity.
I recently spoke to a dr in a hospital in northern nj treating 3 patients positive for both coronavirus and antibodies at the same time months after their first positive. . He said he doesn’t know. Either the antibodies aren’t strong anymore after a long time. Or the virus mutated enough that they could catch it again.

My DH and I never got it bH and don’t have antibodies. We know we were highly exposed many many times. Some of our kids got it. Ppl at our Purim seuda got it. So you can be exposed and not necessarily catch it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics