Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Please share ideas for at-home Chanukah fun!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:35 am
Chanukah is coming, and Covid is still here. Sad I'm sure it's not just my kids who are not very happy that we're looking at yet another YT with no family visits or parties. Any ideas for exciting things we can do at home with the family during Chanukah vacation? Kids age preschool to post-HS.... Willing to spend some money to make happy family memories....

TIA!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:11 am
Paint night in a box?

hardworkingmommy

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:13 am
Paint night party, baking party, glow in the dark party.

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:45 am
There are some great escape rooms in a box that you can buy on Amazon, obviously better for the older kids. We did one Chol Hamoed Pesach and enjoyed it immensely.

SingALong

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:55 am
Someone I know hung donuts from the ceiling using string. The kids lined up and had a race, who could finish eating their donut first, with their hands behind their backs.

Chanukah themed charades. My kids love charades.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:59 am
We’re doing a sushi bar and everyone will make their own sushi

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:02 pm
We make latkes, donuts, this year my kids want to make funnel cakes. We serve a lot of milchigs. Shabbos channukah I make Chinese food that is battered and fried. My kids get some gifts from relatives. We just try to keep it fun with music and decorations. Nothing over the top.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:03 pm
A craft project? We're looking forward to doing the sock donuts from family first. The supplies are fairly inexpensive and everyone can be creative, then you can use them as a centerpiece for the rest of Chanuka.

precious

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:04 pm
There was a thread a few weeks ago with lots of great ideas. Search in the chanukah forum, I don't know how to link it.

baby12x

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 12:12 pm
Here are some ideas I wrote up!

https://adimesaved.com/celebra.....udget

https://adimesaved.com/holiday-party

Hope some of these help

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:09 pm
Pair up an older child with a younger child and do a treasure hunt. If you want to make it Chanukah themed they could find a pach shemen.
But make it hard enough that the older ones won’t get board.
The older ones need to solve the riddle and let’s say it’s up high on a shelf they’ll put the little ones on there shoulders to get the clue.
Or they need to put together a puzzle for the next clue. Or run a relay, and you hand them the next clue.

You can also play minute to win it. Watch some on YouTube. They use household items.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:30 pm
Thanks everyone for your great ideas! baby12x, your posts are fabulous!

Keep 'em coming!

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:36 pm
baby12x wrote:
Here are some ideas I wrote up!

https://adimesaved.com/celebra.....udget

https://adimesaved.com/holiday-party

Hope some of these help

These are great! Thanks!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:47 pm
Omg please meet up with your family!
Absolutely no reason no to.
The fear mongering is terrible.

Every Democrat governor is trying to encourage staying home and then they were caught secretly in an airport, restaurant, or family party etc.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:17 pm
A mother sienna, I am not quoting you as I hope your toxic statement gets deleted.
Irrelevant whether you think that you are immune or that you don't believe that you will die, which many people in every community have, or care about whether you spread it to somebody else, you have no right to post as you did above.
Many Rabbanim have adamantly stated that SD and masks are a must.
It is stated that you must follow the law of the land. That health and safety is paramount. If someone posted that they were hot in the summer in seamed tights, and someone of a different Haskafa told them not to wear them, all gehenum would break loose. How dare you tell people to go against or mock, as you are, the psak they were given.

If SD Chanukah celebrations are not for you, feel free to leave this thread!

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:21 pm
Hi everyone, just saw on one of the jewish websites a video of a dr stating that all the laws are political and not medically based...very interesting and so upsetting!!
I haven't seen my own parents in a very very long time due to covid and they missed my sons bar mitzva, I actually didn't have any of my immediate family by my sons bar mitzva, only my husbands side...very hard...
anyways, back to chanuka, I'm hoping to do a treasure hunt, pass the package, paint night, nachos, smores, making chocolate dreidels then dipping them into hot cocoa, family game night...
not in this exact order, but just some fun ideas...

eli321

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:51 pm
U can make ur own escape room its realy fun and keeps kids busy

Einikel

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:53 pm
https://peaslovencarrots.com/c.....2020/

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:04 pm
SingALong wrote:
Someone I know hung donuts from the ceiling using string. The kids lined up and had a race, who could finish eating their donut first, with their hands behind their backs.

Chanukah themed charades. My kids love charades.

We did the donut game, it's a blast!!!! So much fun and laughter.
You can order ceramic or canvas painting and have a paint night.
Bake donuts & cookies and decorate them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 10:51 am
Thank you to all for your suggestions.

Amothers Wine and Sienna, FYI, the reason we are not going to family or having parties on Chanukah is not because of any law; in my state it is legal to travel or have small gatherings, though highly discouraged. It is because DH and I do not want to be responsible for getting sick or getting others sick. Though the risk of any individual interaction may be relatively low, we don't want to do something that we'll regret later. We want everyone to stay healthy so we will be able to celebrate Chanukah together for many years in the future.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics