Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best careers for frum women
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:25 pm
From my personal experience, not great for frum woman if you want flexible hours. And schooling to get there is hard and long.

amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
There are so many different opinions on this out there; I never know who to believe.

I always thought PA was a good compromise if you're a frum woman who wants to go into the medical field and also raise a family.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Certain positions in higher education (if you have the degree for it).

This advice is a generation out of date. Sure, these jobs are great, but with universities churning out PhDs in high numbers, yet relying on TAs and adjuncts to do the bulk of the teaching work, tenure track jobs are hard to find.

Available jobs are likely to be outside large Jewish communities and competition is fierce. Adjunct work pays so poorly it's hardly worth doing.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:55 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
All completely valid points. DH owns his own business so his schedule is super flexible. Otherwise you are right, wouldn't be manageable.
I agree about the idealism being crushed but I took my job not viewing it as anything more than a job. I'm embarrased to say so but I don't care much as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to and doing a good job about it.

But yes, I guess I should have included more typical negatives in my original post. I happen to think I have the best job due to how easy it is and the flexibility DH has but I realize that is not the case for everyone.
Can't beat the benefits and pension though;) LOL

just started my cfy and am dying to get a job for the DOE! heard there was a compelte hiring freeze and not to get my hopes up (if ever)..

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
From my personal experience, not great for frum woman if you want flexible hours. And schooling to get there is hard and long.

Schooling is not longer than ot, pt speech.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Schooling is not longer than ot, pt speech.

Its not longer than pt. But much longer than ot and speech. No long summer or winter breaks, days are more than full time while ot and speech are part. And before even startingb one needs to dedicate years to a good bachelor's and patient experience. Actual school is difficult, with lots of at home studying. Anyone considering, please speak to ppl who've gone through it.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
This advice is a generation out of date. Sure, these jobs are great, but with universities churning out PhDs in high numbers, yet relying on TAs and adjuncts to do the bulk of the teaching work, tenure track jobs are hard to find.

Available jobs are likely to be outside large Jewish communities and competition is fierce. Adjunct work pays so poorly it's hardly worth doing.

I wasn’t talking about teaching.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:56 am
Its not longer than pt. But much longer than ot and speech. No long summer or winter breaks, days are more than full time while ot and speech are part. And before even startingb one needs to dedicate years to a good bachelor's and patient experience. Actual school is difficult, with lots of at home studying. Anyone considering, please speak to ppl who've gone through it.

I’m in PA school now Smile
I did my BA in 2 years and worked on the side to get enough patient care hours.
School is intense, but depending on your program...
Personally, my program is more chilled than most others (they really work with us)
We’re on an undergrad schedule and I have a month off in the winter and 3 months off this summer. The program is 3 yrs though instead of 2.5, but I think it’s worth it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 2:27 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Personally, my program is more chilled than most others (they really work with us)
We’re on an undergrad schedule and I have a month off in the winter and 3 months off this summer. The program is 3 yrs though instead of 2.5, but I think it’s worth it.

Can we ask which program are you in? How did you do this? Which schools?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 4:50 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
You need to do what you like and work out the hours after. I’m begging you.
I took a career that’s the “best for a frum woman”, and guess what? I make $0.00 because I hate it so much that I gave up working altogether.

I agree with this. I once had a young frum lady call me to learn about my profession. Her questions were about the salary, hours and flexibility. She didn't seem too interested in a description of what you actually do when you're working. It left a poor impression.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
just started my cfy and am dying to get a job for the DOE! heard there was a compelte hiring freeze and not to get my hopes up (if ever)..

Yes, there is a complete hiring freeze that is likely to extend for several years, except in areas of high need (like high school special ed).

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I agree with this. I once had a young frum lady call me to learn about my profession. Her questions were about the salary, hours and flexibility. She didn't seem too interested in a description of what you actually do when you're working. It left a poor impression.

It’s so depressing. You don’t have to love your job, but you have to have SOME sort of fulfillment. A tiny bit of joy. I’m too scared to go back to school because I’m scared of burnout again. So now I sit home and clean my house on days when I’m not depressed.
Today I have a very exciting activity. I get to get dressed and put on a sheitel, go to the ups store, and drop off a Zara return. This is my life now. A 4.0 student who lets her brain rot.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
It’s so depressing. You don’t have to love your job, but you have to have SOME sort of fulfillment. A tiny bit of joy. I’m too scared to go back to school because I’m scared of burnout again. So now I sit home and clean my house on days when I’m not depressed.
Today I have a very exciting activity. I get to get dressed and put on a sheitel, go to the ups store, and drop off a Zara return. This is my life now. A 4.0 student who lets her brain rot.

Hang in there! You're not alone. My PhD is collecting dust.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Can we ask which program are you in? How did you do this? Which schools?

I got seminary credits- only transfer P/F ones
Went to touro and did maximum credits per semester AND summer semester
Currently in Monmouth and the only Jewish person in my class.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 9:48 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

I went to PA school. My program, and most others don't have more than a wk off in winter and a wk in summer, and go for 2.5 yrs. And hours are often more than full time, especially during clinical year - think 12 hour shifts EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. And finding a job after graduation - it's difficult to find a job that is going to be "ideal" to the jewish mother.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:09 pm

PA school is definitely not longer than OT. My OT program usually has about a week off for spring break and 10 days for winter break. Graduate school for OT is 2.5-3 years long. There is no way to finish faster than this. I will agree that PA school is more intense. The first year of OT school, nobody in my class had jobs and we had school four days a week. The next year and a half were a bit lighter, unless we were in fieldwork. The advantage of Speech over OT and PT is that there are online programs, which is very convenient.

eli321

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:34 pm
Coding is a very good job, u get paid well and flexible hours

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 11:08 pm
eli321 wrote:
Coding is a very good job, u get paid well and flexible hours

Yes.... However, you must enjoy the work and have the skills for it. I see way too many young women try this field because the schooling is short (think 9 month part time bootcamp) and it seems like a perfect opportunity for a frum woman with the decent pay and the flexible hours.
A few downsides:
The first job can be very difficult to get, yet after you have experience it's usually easier to get hired.
Most non frum companies require full time employment and the frum ones that allow part time don't pay nearly as well.
It is relatively easy if you enjoy it, but it's torture if you don't! Especially since you need to keep learning in this field so as not to get outdated, it's gotta be interesting for you to make it worthwhile.

This is all based on my limited experience experience , feel free to argue with me if you believe it's different

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:41 pm
A bike repair lady. While that may sound strange my mother is the bike repair lady of her neighborhood.`It is something that people need will pay and you can make your own hours. I wish I paid attention to her when she tried to teach me some skills.

She tried to get a class in the local Frum girls high school saying it is a skill that will save everyone a bucket of money. They thought it was to weird why, in very high class girls boarding schools they teach the girls how to fix a car so `their drivers will not be able to cheat them. Why can't frum girls schools teach bike repair so mothers could save money?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:57 pm
Going freelance in your field?

I’m talking design, marketing, copywriting, web dev but I’m sure there are so many other industries that can go the consultant route.

Great if your goal is to make your own hours. So if you’re having a busy year personally, you can stagger clients more—obviously this will mean less money but it can still be worth it.

Requirements: you need to not only be good at what you do, but also have confidence, basic business skills, and good sales skills to charge right.

A smart, talented person can make up to 400k if they build their business up right, I’d think. (Of course most people probably make in the 60-80k range, but I know it’s possible.)

Obviously, starting a product-based business and running it well is an even better path to millions...
But now I’m just daydreaming.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes.... However, you must enjoy the work and have the skills for it. I see way too many young women try this field because the schooling is short (think 9 month part time bootcamp) and it seems like a perfect opportunity for a frum woman with the decent pay and the flexible hours.
A few downsides:
The first job can be very difficult to get, yet after you have experience it's usually easier to get hired.
Most non frum companies require full time employment and the frum ones that allow part time don't pay nearly as well.
It is relatively easy if you enjoy it, but it's torture if you don't! Especially since you need to keep learning in this field so as not to get outdated, it's gotta be interesting for you to make it worthwhile.

This is all based on my limited experience experience , feel free to argue with me if you believe it's different

I agree 100%! Its hard to break into the field and in the beginning you have to work long hours. Which may not be great if you are pregnant/having babies at the time...

I know quite a few girls who trained in coding, were really good at coding, and enjoyed it, but never got that first job. They are all now doing something else.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics