Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Dear Abby article with gift suggestion

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:28 am
Thought this was a great idea and wanted to share:

DEAR ABBY: As a grandparent, I feel the x-mas gift my husband and I received last year from our granddaughter was a gift of a lifetime. We have enjoyed it all year. It was a gift of memories, written on 12 cards to be opened on the first day of each month. She had inserted each card into an individual envelope, designated with which month it was to be opened. She put them in a box wrapped with a bow and placed it under the tree.

The excitement generated while anxiously awaiting a new month’s arrival so the new memory could be read created enthusiasm among the entire family. In each envelope were experiences we had forgotten or never realized had made an impact on her life.

A gift like this requires only time and 12 pieces of paper. The concept could even be reversed so it would be from grandparent to grandchild. Few of us grandparents need material gifts, but the caring, thought and love shown by this gift will remain with us all our lives. -- WANTED TO SHARE, FRESNO, CALIF.

DEAR WANTED TO SHARE: What a precious gift. I have long advocated that the most meaningful gift we can give each other is the gift of self, in the form of time, attention, a handwritten letter or a phone call. Your granddaughter’s concept of a “Memory of the Month Club” was ingenious. I congratulate her for it, and I hope it inspires others.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:44 am
My favorite Dear Abby column about gifts:

Dear Abby,
My boyfriend is turning 21 and I want to give him something special. What do you think he would like?
Looking for Ideas

Dear Looking,
Never mind what he'd like. Buy him a tie.

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
My favorite Dear Abby column about gifts:

Dear Abby,
My boyfriend is turning 21 and I want to give him something special. What do you think he would like?
Looking for Ideas

Dear Looking,
Never mind what he'd like. Buy him a tie.

I think that's actually terrible advice. Of course you should buy what a person likes... Unless... Bc the point of that post is why are you asking Abby what your boyfriend would like bc why would she know .. she doesn't know your boyfriend. Then good point

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 8:05 am
singleagain wrote:
I think that's actually terrible advice. Of course you should buy what a person likes... Unless... Bc the point of that post is why are you asking Abby what your boyfriend would like bc why would she know .. she doesn't know your boyfriend. Then good point

Her point was that a 21 year old would like zex, but that the girlfriend should wait.

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 8:23 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Her point was that a 21 year old would like zex, but that the girlfriend should wait.

I totally didn't read that. But that's partly bc I always give advice of consider the person..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics