Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you have air conditioning?
1  2  Next

where do you have air conditioners?
we have central air  
 34%  [ 17 ]
we have units in all the rooms  
 24%  [ 12 ]
we have units in the downstairs only  
 0%  [ 0 ]
we have in bedrooms only  
 6%  [ 3 ]
we have no air conditioner anwhere  
 16%  [ 8 ]
we have in one room only  
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 50

micki

Post Sat, Aug 13 2005, 10:25 pm
I am melting. I am crabby. and I need winter!!!
boy whoever thought I would say that!!!

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Aug 13 2005, 10:44 pm
micki, you need winter????????????

the poll didnt really fit what we have. we have one in our bedroom and one in our living room/ dining room. we have in fan in sz's room and the kitchen.
I would really like a air con in the kitchen.

miriam

Post Sat, Aug 13 2005, 11:55 pm
We have the same situation, RL. I kvetch every Friday how hot the kitchen is, but, alas fall/winter will be here soon. Micki, I also can't believe that I am davening for winter already!!!

This is my husband's reason for not putting A/C in the kitchen he tells me that just one flame on the stove puts out 9000BTU's of heat, and that it doesn't matter what you do, an AC simply can't handle that - most units are 5000 BTU's. At best you'll get cold wind on your face, but there is no way it will be able to cool the room - and with the oven on or more than one flame,forget about it.

But this doesn't make me happy - I'm still hot.

queenie

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:49 am
Why don't u test out your DH's theory? I mean, put in an a/c and see if it helps? I hope he can handle defeat!

If he doesn't like the a/c let him cook!! or let him stand outside at the bbq.

We have one big a/c in the kitchen but we have an open concept home. It's kindof hard to say where the kitchen ends and the diningroom begins. The diningroom is open to the the den/living room. So, the heat from the kitchen can float throughout the house but the one big a/c in the kitchen does everything. I also keep blinds closed during the day and lights off.

Upstairs we have units but I try to keep them off during the day when we are not there. Keeps electricity bills down. I also shut off the main floor a/c when I go to work. With all the lights off and blinds down and no cooking during the day the main floor doesn't get hot. Upstairs can get like a sauna.

queenie

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:50 am
Oh yeah, most units are not 5000 btu, stores just like to advertise that bc those are the smallest and therefore the cheapest. Units can be many different sizes.

deedee

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:56 am
we have a big unit in the livingroom. it is very hot in the kitchen so I put a big standing fan by the kitchen door and it cools off in no time!

debz123

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:16 pm
wouldnt the fan blow out the fire on teh stove?

miriam

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:25 pm
its probably not directed at the oven.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:52 pm
miriam. our stove is gas so it isnt taking any electricity so I don't think it would make a diff if we have an air con in. it is just that the window in our kitchen is on top of the sink, and I don't how it would go in..

buba123

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 1:34 pm
guys- listen to this story - since we moved into our new home a year ago we installed a ceiling fan over the kitchen table. My kitchen is a 10' x 12' .
Every Friday while cooking the kitchen was like a steam bath. I have a very strong a/c unit in my LR/DR (open floor plan). My dh and I couldn't figure it out until one day we did LOL
The ceiling fan was circulating all the hot air from the ovens and stove around the room. It couldn't escape. As soon as we turned off the ceiling fan we had a very noticeable improvement. So please make sure this same story doesn't apply to you!! embarrassed

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:10 pm
my kitchen ceiling fan has a summer/winter setting. Since it has no label I dont know if it is making things better or worse. clockwise or counter clockwise?

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:06 pm
No a/c... and its HOT HOT HOT!!!

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:17 pm
nothing on the poll that I can check off!

have air conditioners in our bedroom, living-dining room area, and kitchen

we MUST have air conditioner in kitchen or collapse, whether or not burners or oven is on, it's a MUST!

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 4:44 pm
Quote:
we have a big unit in the livingroom. it is very hot in the kitchen so I put a big standing fan by the kitchen door and it cools off in no time
!
Us too incl bedroom. And yup if if it's only 2 mnth here of incredible heat it's still worth it!

micki

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 5:23 pm
I actually had an optiion for
"none of the above, so please explain"
but I think 6 is tyhe limit.

so good for all of you that did it anyway!

im still hot!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 5:53 pm
Well only other option is move here! LOL

miriam

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 7:08 pm
Micki, why don't you buy some air conditioners? They cost $70-$100 at Sears.

micki

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 11:06 pm
I don't have windows to put them in. either the windoas are too big or too small.

I want hubby to make some holes in the wall for permanent units!
and I want CENTRAL AIR!!!!!

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 11:19 pm
I live in an area where it is consistantly so hot that their are charities to pay for AC and electric for those that can't afford it. And there are 'cooling shelters' in the summer for the homeless. Needless to say, we have central!

baby's mom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 1:01 am
Have a/c thank G- d and I dont think I'd manage without it!!
I get so irritated in the heat Exploding anger
We have nice bills that come in the mail as well Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics