Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Baby wearing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 6:39 pm
What is the best baby carrier/wrap for carrying the baby around the house? I won’t be wearing it outdoors. Looking at the baby ktan which looks great, but would love to hear tried and true recommendations.

Ellie7

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:25 pm
A lot of people love the ktan. I actually felt like I needed more support and loved the Ergo Baby.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 9:12 pm
I couldn’t figure out the ktan. I tried and tried. Returned it and went back to ergo that I had for baby #1

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 9:16 pm
I love love love a ring sling for around the house. It’s so easy to get on and off & pop baby in and out. You can also shift the positioning depending on what you’re doing and tuck their hands in so they can’t grab something dangerous when you’re in the kitchen. It also works well for newborn through toddlers, though a 30lb toddler in a ring sling is definitely hard on the back (ask me how I know 😉)

lucky14

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:11 pm
I liked the ktan for my babies when they were really little but once they started getting a bit bigger I felt like they didn't fit in it so well and I kept worrying they'd fall out when I bent over. I liked the ergo once they were a bit bigger- even for around the house. I liked having the extra sturdy support that the ergo offers (I'm sure they are other carriers that are similar out there but I just happened to get the ergo).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 11:22 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I liked the ktan for my babies when they were really little but once they started getting a bit bigger I felt like they didn't fit in it so well and I kept worrying they'd fall out when I bent over. I liked the ergo once they were a bit bigger- even for around the house. I liked having the extra sturdy support that the ergo offers (I'm sure they are other carriers that are similar out there but I just happened to get the ergo).

Is the ktan better than the ergo for newborns?

Teomima

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:40 am
The ktan is nice when you want to quickly get on a carrier, but it doesn't offer as much support as other carriers.

My favorite for around the house was a nice long stretchy wrap carrier. That's a learning curve to putting it on, but once it's on its very soft, comfortable, and supportive.

My overall favorite carrier is an Ergo, especially for outdoors or back carrying at home or out, when the baby is older.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:10 am
I found the clips and straps a little overwhelming for me with the Ergo, I really liked the simplicity and support of a mei tai (for older babies). Two easy double knots and you're all set. But it doesn't work for Shabbos Sad

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 10:12 am
The baby ktan is great for little babies and the lillebaby is GREAT for when they outgrow the ktan!
Mine even fell asleep in the lillebaby, expensive but so worth it!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
The baby ktan is great for little babies and the lillebaby is GREAT for when they outgrow the ktan!
Mine even fell asleep in the lillebaby, expensive but so worth it!

My baby ALWAYS sleeps in the ergo. Even if he’s a mess and inconsolable the ergo will always serve to reset him

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 10:44 am
Teomima wrote:
The ktan is nice when you want to quickly get on a carrier, but it doesn't offer as much support as other carriers.

My favorite for around the house was a nice long stretchy wrap carrier. That's a learning curve to putting it on, but once it's on its very soft, comfortable, and supportive.

My overall favorite carrier is an Ergo, especially for outdoors or back carrying at home or out, when the baby is older.

So you wouldn’t recommend the ergo for a newborn for in the home?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know you weren’t asking me, but I’ll respond anyway.

I also have an ergo and it worked well for a newborn with the newborn insert. It’s a little more of a hassle to get on and off than some others, but it’s very comfortable and supportive once it’s on. It’s my go-to for if I know I’ll have the baby in the carrier for a longer period.

Teomima

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My Ergo is very old. They've since changed the design and best as I understand, the modern design is more newborn-friendly. My version was less so. It's not that I wouldn't have recommended it for a newborn, I just found a regular wrap carrier to be more comfortable at that stage, especially at home.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:31 pm
I absolutely hated the ergo baby. It made my back kill (yes, I adjusted it quite a few times and couldn't find a fit that didn't hurt)

I got the k'tan and love it. I use it for the newborn until a few month stage. The baby can snuggle up in it so much more comfortably and it was much easier on my back.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:41 pm
I like ktan. Easy learning curve. Baby felt secure.
But I havent really used other carriers to compare.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:50 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I like ktan. Easy learning curve. Baby felt secure.
But I havent really used other carriers to compare.

Couldn’t do it. Tried like 10x. My hub had to do it for me which isn’t practical. Thank gd amazon took it back!

Teomima

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I absolutely hated the ergo baby. It made my back kill (yes, I adjusted it quite a few times and couldn't find a fit that didn't hurt)

I got the k'tan and love it. I use it for the newborn until a few month stage. The baby can snuggle up in it so much more comfortably and it was much easier on my back.

If it's on properly, the weight should be on your hips, not on your back.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:21 pm
LOVED the mei tai. A few times with a YouTube tutorial and I was a pro.
I miss baby wearing so much.....

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:24 pm
Teomima wrote:
If it's on properly, the weight should be on your hips, not on your back.

I took a baby wearing class to learn how to wear my ergo properly (most people don’t know the straps are fully adjustable)!

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:57 pm
I have a newborn in an Ergo right now! (which is how I can be typing this)

She's definitely secure in there. If she doesn't need to nurse, and has a dry diaper, this is the next thing I can do that will unquestionably help her calm down. It's very secure, she can fall asleep and stay there for hours while I take care of my other kids. Unless I bend over very low, I don't need to readjust or support her head with my hand at all.

The one I am using now is the Ergo Adapt. You DON'T need to use an infant insert with this one. I have the Ergo Original too from my older kids. I used it with the infant insert with one of my older kids as a newborn. It also "worked" in the sense that she was happy in there but it was definitely more annoying to use--more parts to keep track of, more steps to getting the baby in place, and also possibly bulkier once on.

I kept it though even after I got this one, because for older babies I think it may be better. At least it has a little pocket that can be handy for phone/keys type of things when out of the house. (Fine. I also like the color.)

I tried out the Baby K'tan. It didn't work for me--the whole thing didn't feel secure on. It may have to do with your build. I am very petite (short and narrow shoulders) and the K'tan may just have been too big on me. The Ergo is adjustable in many different directions. Once adjusted for you it can just stay that way, so you don't really need to deal with the straps again unless you are sharing the carrier with someone else--don't recommend because then it is annoying.

I hope this is helpful!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics