Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Baby Wearing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:21 pm
So I was reading through the baby wearing thread and it got me thinking. I don’t think I’ve seen the more in-towny type wearing babies. When I’m at the park in my neighborhood the only mom’s I see wearing babies are the more modern, more eccentric-dressing “type.” I’m wondering why that is?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:23 pm
because it's considered a "crunchy granola" type of thing to do, and those types tend to exist more OOT

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:31 pm
Because the “in-town” mommies have bugaboos, doonas, and yoyos. No need for a baby carrier

Wife1

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
because it's considered a "crunchy granola" type of thing to do, and those types tend to exist more OOT

This

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Because the “in-town” mommies have bugaboos, doonas, and yoyos. No need for a baby carrier
I don't think they do it because of a lack of a nice carriage.

OP, you have to be a certain type for it. Most in town people are just not that type. And it's also not so 'acceptable' to wear it around here. So even if you really would like to wear one in Monsey, Boro Park or Lakewood, you probably wouldn't because you don't want people to think that you're that type. Whatever.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:39 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't think they do it because of a lack of a nice carriage.

OP, you have to be a certain type for it. Most in town people are just not that type. And it's also not so 'acceptable' to wear it around here. So even if you really would like to wear one in Monsey, Boro Park or Lakewood, you probably wouldn't because you don't want people to think that you're that type. Whatever.

Yeah.
Though I was pleasantly surprised that when I wore my mpst recent baby around town (monsey) I got such nice reactions from even the most in-towny type of person.
Lots of curiosity but all of it pleasant.
Which made me realize that I think we project our own insecurities on ourselves but blame "in town" for it. Whoever that is...

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:41 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Yeah.
Though I was pleasantly surprised that when I wore my mpst recent baby around town (monsey) I got such nice reactions from even the most in-towny type of person.
Lots of curiosity but all of it pleasant.
Which made me realize that I think we project our own insecurities on ourselves but blame "in town" for it. Whoever that is...
Totally, the baby wearing thing, plus many others that would make our lives more pleasant but we don't do it because....

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:42 pm
I thought it was a tznius thing. Idk. I would do it. I could care less what I look like.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:45 pm
Baby wearing momma here who lives smack dab in the middle of ‘town’!

I don’t wear my baby when taking a stroller would be easier (like the park where I need a lot of ‘stuff’) Which May be why you don’t see me!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:51 pm
But why is it a crunchy granola thing to do? And if it’s really convenient why haven’t more in towny people adopted it? I’m sure they can make ribbed baby carriers 😂 or whatever’s trendy lol.

I never really considered baby wearing with my first baby for some reason though I did buy a second hand baby bjorn carrier that my DH used occasionally but I never did. Bh I’m expecting my second and am wondering if it really could be useful at least for inside the house...(I did buy a Doona on black Friday sales so I probably wouldn’t need it outside the house.) I have a feeling the “in towny type” don’t even own baby carriers that they use around the house for whatever reason. Just find it so interesting.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:51 pm
I’m the OP of that thread, and I do happen to think it’s odd looking to wear outside the house, but it certainly wouldn’t bother me if others do it Smile

My daughter on the other hand let me know in no uncertain terms how utterly ugly it is and how I better stay behind locked doors only when wearing. I want to use around the house because I want to get things done while holding my baby. It never dawned on me to use with my first few, but I waited so long for this one and I just want to hold him all day! And nothing is getting done 😬

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But why is it a crunchy granola thing to do? And if it’s really convenient why haven’t more in towny people adopted it? I’m sure they can make ribbed baby carriers 😂 or whatever’s trendy lol.

Okay, I have a proposal for you. Be the first one of your friends, family, neighbors, cousins that'll do it. Proudly wear it outside when you go to the park, grocery and to your childs school! Come back and let us know what happened! Smile

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:54 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Okay, I have a proposal for you. Be the first one of your friends, family, neighbors, cousins that'll do it. Proudly wear it outside when you go to the park, grocery and to your childs school! Come back and let us know what happened! Smile

FWIW I do proudly baby wear to both shul and school drop off and pickup!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:55 pm
I'm super in town (lakewood) and wear my babies. So many curious women wondering why they never did it...
It's much easier to go food shopping thats for sure!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:55 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
FWIW I do proudly baby wear to both shul and school drop off and pickup!
Yes, but I meant OP!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:56 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Lol I’m not a trend setter and honestly will probably be more convenient to use my Doona when out and about 😉

But maybe I should get one that’s comfy and easy to use for around the house? Not sure why I never thought to use it last time lol.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I’m the OP of that thread, and I do happen to think it’s odd looking to wear outside the house, but it certainly wouldn’t bother me if others do it Smile

My daughter on the other hand let me know in no uncertain terms how utterly ugly it is and how I better stay behind locked doors only when wearing. I want to use around the house because I want to get things done while holding my baby. It never dawned on me to use with my first few, but I waited so long for this one and I just want to hold him all day! And nothing is getting done 😬

Aww that’s so sweet about wanting to hold him all day ☺️

lol how old is your daughter?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:58 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Yes, but I meant OP!!

Lol happens to be I’m not in-towny but I don’t like to stick out and try to somewhat blend in with my in-towny neighbors. (But only to the extent I feel like it. I’m sure I still stick out lol)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I'm super in town (lakewood) and wear my babies. So many curious women wondering why they never did it...
It's much easier to go food shopping thats for sure!

Good for you!

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

When they have a newborn in the bugaboo, a toddler on the wheelie board, another toddler hanging off the side/footrest, and a preschooler trailing halfway down the block, they would definitely benefit from putting the infant in a carrier and a toddler in the stroller. Not to mention leaving the sleeping infant outside in an unprotected stroller so you can use your hands to shop.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics