Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Sanitizing surfaces after Corona?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:02 pm
I had Corona, probably kids and hubby too. We have a close relative is SUPER careful with Corona and basically said she won't come visit until January unless we hire a sanitizing company. Also, I told her people were so nice and loaned us books for the kids while they were in lockdown. She asked "How are you going to return them??? You have to sanitize them!!!" You can't sanitize a book. I understand that the virus might live on surfaces up to 3 days and even then, the odds of catching it from a surface more than a few hours after it was emitted from a human are slim. So if we were to leave all the things people loaned us in a bag for a few days before returning, that would be more than stringent enough. And the house? Should I wipe down surfaces? I aired out some bedrooms, just because.

What was your post-Corona protocol?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:07 pm
ask your dr. and do whatever s/he recommends

airing out is great

we did regular cleaning of floors, laundry, vacuuming, cleaning surfaces, toilets etc. with bleach based cleaner but then we pretty much do that anyway

that said everyone has different risk factors and the like so if someone were uncomfortable we wouldn't pressure or try to convince them to come maybe we would suggest they speak with their dr for updated advice.

GetReal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:08 pm
Our local public library leaves books for five days which is probably overkill.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:10 pm
Wipe down surfaces
Change the sheets
Clean bathroom
Wash the floor

Despite the panic at the beginning, surface contagion is a lot less frequent than was initially suspected. General good hygiene seems sufficient.

Is this relative still wearing gloves at all times?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:13 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Wipe down surfaces
Change the sheets
Clean bathroom
Wash the floor

Despite the panic at the beginning, surface contagion is a lot less frequent than was initially suspected. General good hygiene seems sufficient.

Is this relative still wearing gloves at all times?

Not sure about gloves, but she yelled at me for not using alcogel. She visits other relatives who are older and high risk, so there is some reasoning behind her extra caution. She's not so worried about herself, she really just doesn't want to spread it around.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:21 pm
GetReal wrote:
Our local public library leaves books for five days which is probably overkill.

When I returned a book to the university library they had a set of shelves in the entrance labelled 'Books in Isolation'. The security guard told me to leave it on the top shelf, and the other shelves were labelled 'Day 1', 'Day 2' and 'Day 3'. Each day it got moved down a shelf, and on the fifth day I got an email confirming that I had returned it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
When I returned a book to the university library they had a set of shelves in the entrance labelled 'Books in Isolation'. The security guard told me to leave it on the top shelf, and the other shelves were labelled 'Day 1', 'Day 2' and 'Day 3'. Each day it got moved down a shelf, and on the fifth day I got an email confirming that I had returned it.

Why don't they just move up the labels "Day 1, Day 2," etc... so they don't have to touch the books?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

That is mamish heterical! Poor books....

Rolling Laughter

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:27 pm
We opened the windows
Sprayed some Lysol
Changed the linen.
Moved on with our lives

I wouldn’t feel
Comfortable with this relative visiting me with her conditions. I’d say meet outside or see her in your home in January (why January?)

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 12:47 pm
If whoever loaned you books is careful they will quarratine them. Thats what we do with books.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
That is mamish heterical! Poor books....

Rolling Laughter

At least they didn't need two weeks before they got to rejoin their friends on the shelf...

GetReal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:20 pm
I’m accumulating fines for the “overdue” books in quarantine but they library assures me that one day five they’ll mark them as returned and remove the fines.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:24 pm
Libraries are requesting books back or they're considered overdue?

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:36 pm
Even at the height of the pandemic when people were terrified of touching anything, best advice was to just leave stuff out because the virus died in optimum conditions after 72 hours so I just left anything non-perishable in a corner and then assumed it was safe after 3 days.

As others have posted open windows to ventilate as that helps get rid of any aerosolized virus but it is unlikely is still floating in the air anyway.

Wash down all surfaces with Lysol or the equivalent and especially any stuff that people touch like door handles, refrigerator handles etc.

I understand if she doesn't want to visit you as everyone I know is not seeing anyone outside their household and is limiting themselves to essential errands. Even more so if she has people at risk that she needs to be around.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:37 pm
What would be the point of spending on a sanitizing company? Is it a one time thing? Because unless they're back at your house on a daily basis, your house can just become contaminated after they leave. I saw this advertised back in April, and I didn't understand.

As for library - do they have guidelines? I wouldn't be more makpid then what is requested, because what would be the point if no one else is doing the same?

Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle guests that are being extra careful. Unless you have no choice, such as your parents.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:44 pm
She has her quirks, a bit of a control nut, but she is a wonderful aunt and it would mean a lot to the kids if she could come for Chanukah one night and bring presents. We don't really have much other family. Believe me, I know what crazy family is, and she is not it. But I'm not going to go crazy cleaning. I'll do a basic cleaning, some anti-germ wipes, and if she comes, she comes. If not, we'll zoom!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics