Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What are some names you would NEVER use?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I live in Israel and know three non-Jewish Arab girls named Rasha, so maybe it's an Arab name used by Morrocan Jews, etc.

As for Chaya, I've heard it used in a positive context meaning "wild animal". A girl was using it to describe another girl on the soccer team who was very talented and very energetic.

The Rasha in my family was Russian, not middle eastern.

yonabets

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Personal opinion- this post is in bad taste.
If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all.
Every name is carried by a person and it represents their neshama
Please keep your personal opinions about bad names to yourself.
Enough said!

I agree.
It's not our כבוד to make fun of jewish names...

Miri1

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:01 pm
Most of these names (barring EC's well appointed list) make fun of people who were really given these names.
Nice that OP said it's all in good fun... how generous to have the fun at the expense of other peoples' names.
Seriously, this seems like Ona'as Dvarim to me.

Won't you all just stop?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:03 pm
Tushna Buttman used to be Klein, but then she married Itchie. LOL

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:05 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Most of these names (barring EC's well appointed list) make fun of people who were really given these names.
Nice that OP said it's all in good fun... how generous to have the fun at the expense of other peoples' names.
Seriously, this seems like Ona'as Dvarim to me.

Won't you all just stop?

If you think it is, you don’t have to join the conversation.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:07 pm
sequoia wrote:
Mine too.

If we went to the same school, it was a Reform, not Conservative temple. Very yekkish/Classical Reform, as I recall.

Unless you grew up in Florida, we didn’t go to the same school. You are right though, it may have been reform. I really know nothing about it. I never even saw the people who worked or prayed there.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:09 pm
syaem wrote:
I’m surprised no one mentioned name Necha yet. Now synonymous with unkempt untidy woman.

Maybe I’m living in the wrong world....what is the connection between Necha and unkempt?

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:31 pm
I love the name Yehuda but it's the name of the late husband of my step-MIL . It seems awkward to me to use it.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:37 pm
I actually don't understand why we name yiddish names anymore. I get it if it's after someone who was niftar, a close relative, but even then...

To me, Yiddish was a way to get around in pre-war Germany and Poland, to still keep a separate language and be a Jewish nation. But Yiddish is mostly German, and I don't get why we maintain this language in light of its roots.

Miri1

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:57 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
If you think it is, you don’t have to join the conversation.

It's not about me.
I'm upset that this conversation is happening on imamother.
It doesn't belong here.
It mocks real peoples' names. Fun at others' expense.
I'm not sticking around to continue reading. Just feel bad for those whose names are being listed, whether they see the conversation or not.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rasha! Wow never heard of that as a name. Must be pronounced with a long o sound. But still.

I have a cousin named Rasha, rhymes with Basha. Its very normal to us!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:53 pm
Miri1 wrote:
It's not about me.
I'm upset that this conversation is happening on imamother.
It doesn't belong here.
It mocks real peoples' names. Fun at others' expense.
I'm not sticking around to continue reading. Just feel bad for those whose names are being listed, whether they see the conversation or not.

Honestly, I don’t see any name being mocked or bashed. People are being quite respectful when stating why they don’t want to use certain names.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:01 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Honestly, I don’t see any name being mocked or bashed. People are being quite respectful when stating why they don’t want to use certain names.

If one of your kids had one of the names mentioned on the OP and she came home from school saying that a kid made fun of her and told her “Chaya means wild animal” what would you think of that girl? Let’s be honest, this is in bad taste and “past nisht” for mature young ladies!

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Unless you grew up in Florida, we didn’t go to the same school. You are right though, it may have been reform. I really know nothing about it. I never even saw the people who worked or prayed there.

No, not Florida.

Interesting coincidence, though.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Tushna Buttman used to be Klein, but then she married Itchie. LOL

LOL LOL

I met a beautiful little girl named Shartza Babcha. I felt so bad for her

Also met a girl Shandel Brandel

And a girl named Dubrish.

All real

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:45 pm
Rappel wrote:
Really?? No way.... Which circles?

DH wanted to use it after he learned the original context, and I'm like "you want to name her what????"

Same same.... He loved the meaning in the passuk so much. It was a firm no from me

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:29 pm
I hate to say this that those that are continuing this insensitive thread...your words are 10x worse than any Jewish name you may not like. Do you get the message yet?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 6:35 pm
Hi, my name's Yachet. Is it on the list?
I have a sister Yenta but we call her by her middle name.
Many of the names listed here are in my family and many other families.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:37 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
If one of your kids had one of the names mentioned on the OP and she came home from school saying that a kid made fun of her and told her “Chaya means wild animal” what would you think of that girl? Let’s be honest, this is in bad taste and “past nisht” for mature young ladies!

I DO have a child named Chaya, and I don’t mind this thread at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:44 pm
One of the names mentioned by another poster is my name! I completely don’t mind.
I apologize if anyone was offended. This was all in good fun and everyone can give their own perspectives.
I also had a good laugh with some of the names posted (Tushna Buttman and Itchie). 😆
everyone feels something toward a name. And I just wanted to hear their perspective. Please continue!
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names