Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Baby Wearing
Previous  1  2

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol I’m not a trend setter and honestly will probably be more convenient to use my Doona when out and about 😉

This is exactly why I wore my baby. I live in Monsey and am in and out of the car a lot and I didn’t want my baby sitting in a car seat the whole day.

It’s also More convenient sometimes, like shul on Simcha’s torah I had a three minute walk and then was in shul for 3 hours with no room for a stroller.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
This is exactly why I wore my baby. I live in Monsey and am in and out of the car a lot and I didn’t want my baby sitting in a car seat the whole day.

It’s also More convenient sometimes, like shul on Simcha’s torah I had a three minute walk and then was in shul for 3 hours with no room for a stroller.

Makes sense. I probably should care more about babies being in car seats too much

little neshamala

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

It's much easier to go food shopping thats for sure!

YESSSSSSS!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Aww that’s so sweet about wanting to hold him all day ☺️

lol how old is your daughter?

11. She also asked as soon as I got home from the hospital if I’m ever going to be skinny again. Ah the joys of adolescence.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
11. She also asked as soon as I got home from the hospital if I’m ever going to be skinny again. Ah the joys of adolescence.

Lol what a pleasure 😂

Frumme

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:42 pm
I've definitely gotten looks baby wearing in town. Positive or negative I'm not sure, but a lot of people have come up to me and said good things (Monsey, Crown Heights, Lakewood).

I've baby worn to simchas, stores... it really is convenient and, quite honestly, safer. Like someone mentioned, I'm not leaving my baby parked outside of a store or stuck in a car seat all day. I get to have both of my hands free. Baby is quiet and happy!

I think the reasons why baby wearing isn't more popular in town are probably a combination of 1) fear of coming off as too "natural" or "crunchy", 2) pressure to conform, and 3) not knowing where to start/learn to baby wear.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:49 pm
Totally get this.

My husband thinks im a 'stick in the mud' for never doing it, but I just CANT...

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:50 pm
For safety reasons, I'm not a fan of baby-wearing , especially in a front carrier. If you trip and fall, will you have the presence of mind to twist around and land on your back? More likely you'll fall forward--these things happen FAST--and land right on top of your baby. I'll keep my baby in a stroller, tyvm, and if I fall, the baby's going nowhere. If I want to shop in a store that has no room for a stroller, I'll either shop elsewhere or go when I have someone to look after the baby. My operating system does not recognize the command "leave baby unattended."

Zehava

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:08 pm
Ideally I would love to but my back breaks after a couple minutes and I feel like I’m pregnant all over again. And my babies are small. I don’t get how people do it I need my space.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:14 pm
When I wore my infant a few times during a trip my back was starting to detach from the rest of my body. How do people do it all day every day?

How do you carry your baby yet carry heavy bags or run after a toddler like that?

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:18 pm
It's possible you just have a delicate back but I'm betting you were not using a good carrier adjusted well for your ergonomics. My back is not great at all but I was able to wear my largish baby comfortably until she was at least a year old. In fact, a good carrier worn properly distributes the baby's weight far better than holding them in your arms.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:19 pm
I used to wear my baby in big grocery stores in Monsey. My Chassidish neighbor borrowed my baby carier for a trip but told me she can't wear it in town "bec you know I'm chassidish" lol. I have to say I was a bit self conscious. I was THE ONLY ONE. Anonymous. Don't want to be found out Very Happy

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
For safety reasons, I'm not a fan of baby-wearing , especially in a front carrier. If you trip and fall, will you have the presence of mind to twist around and land on your back? More likely you'll fall forward--these things happen FAST--and land right on top of your baby. I'll keep my baby in a stroller, tyvm, and if I fall, the baby's going nowhere. If I want to shop in a store that has no room for a stroller, I'll either shop elsewhere or go when I have someone to look after the baby. My operating system does not recognize the command "leave baby unattended."

Whenever I have fallen as an adult (which is not particularly common for me), I have always caught myself with my hands before my stomach or chest hits the ground. Are there meaningful amounts of these trip and fall injuries with baby carriers that happen? I thought the real risk with them is suffocation, which can be avoided if you know how to use it correctly.

ETA: I would think carrying your baby in your arms would be more dangerous in a fall because you could drop them.

Last edited by challahchallah on Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 7:24 pm
I got a baby wrap carrier for my first. I used it at home. But it didn't fit me right and hurt my back.

For shopping I kept him in the stroller.

With my next one, I will experiment with a few different ones, and once I get it I would totally wear it outside.

I was born and live in Town, but I'm weird like that Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics