Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO recipe to make chocolate

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:04 am
I recently purchased silicone molds in the shapes of dreidles and I would like to make chocolates.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe? A YouTube tutorial to recommend? I am new to this.

TIA Smile

MiriFr

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:07 am
You can cheat by melting chocolate bars and pouring it into the molds. I’ve done that for mishloach manos in dark, milk, and white chocolate, and it came out gorgeous.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:16 am
Thanks!
Do you use baking chocolate? Bittersweet or milk? Milk would be yummier but I thought I need to add oil and such.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:23 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Thanks!
Do you use baking chocolate? Bittersweet or milk? Milk would be yummier but I thought I need to add oil and such.

I used the elite bars (the one with the cow on it). Unadulterated.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:54 am
Great thanks!
I have some in my pantry.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:09 am
Nobody makes chocolate from scratch at home. You'd have to get your hands on chocolate liquor, which is not something normally available to consumers, and use equipment for mixing and tempering which is also not available to the consumer. Just buy chocolate chips or bars and melt them. Do not use baking chocolate, which is a blend of cocoa powder and fat and bitter vee gall as the expression goes.You can't just add sugar to baking chocolate--the sugar will not dissolve but will remain grainy.

I'll let you in on a secret: most small confectionery companies do not make chocolate from scratch, either. They buy what they call "chocolate chips" which are chocolate disks the size of big cookies, melt them down, add whatever ingredients they want, e.g. chopped or whole nuts, crushed hard candies, chopped dried fruits, raisins, marshmallows, coconut and so on, pour them into molds, let harden, unmold, pack and ship.

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:50 am
If using “real” chocolate (with cocoa butter in the ingredients) you’ll want to temper it so that it sets hard and shiny at room temperature and your moulded chocolates won’t melt in your fingers. If using compound chocolate (no cocoa butter, usually made with vegetable fat) then you can just melt and use.

Look up “How to cook that tempering” on youtube, she explains several methods to temper chocolate very well.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:51 am
This got complex really fast Smile
I created a double boiler system and I have coloured 'chip's which we are melting as we speak...... I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics