Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is COVID really different from all other viruses?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:50 pm

Success10

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:01 pm
It basically functions like any other virus. You get exposed through airborne particles, or perhaps surface contact, you are contagious before you actually see any symptoms. Most symptoms are typical of a flu-like virus. It dies out, end of story.

But it has a few unique features that make it completely different than most viruses out there. The huge amount of asymptomatic carriers (and potential spreaders) is very unique. That it hardly affects children, and seems to prey mostly on the elder population is unique. That it seems to target men over women, and other certain risk factors, is odd. The complete loss of sense of smell and lingering after-effects that continue long after the virus has died are perplexing. It's not the deadliest virus ever, by far, but it infects people at an alarming rate, making it more dangerous than most other viruses.

It's unique. You can't deny it.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:13 pm
The rate of transmission, lost of taste and smell, and damage to the main organs even in healthy people are some of the things that make COVID unique.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:17 pm
It is different. Some people have no reaction while others fight for their life, entire families. Something genetic makes certain people react really badly and not breathe, or even die. This is not like the flu,. it's different and nobody knows long term effects.

Success10

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
It is different. Some people have no reaction while others fight for their life, entire families. Something genetic makes certain people react really badly and not breathe, or even die. This is not like the flu,. it's different and nobody knows long term effects.

I just want to point out that we can't make any conclusions about things nobody knows about, like the long term effects of this virus. It can't be concluded yet that they are any different from any other virus. But from what we can see so far, it's a different virus and I agree with everything else you wrote. People's varied reactions are so weird. Sometimes there is a predictable pattern to the reactions, and other times there's no rhyme or reason to it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:22 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
The rate of transmission, lost of taste and smell, and damage to the main organs even in healthy people are some of the things that make COVID unique.

Loss of taste and smell isn't unique to COVID-19 as a virus, just as a successful virus.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:25 pm
Also it effects different organs for some people that have nothing to do with respiratory functions.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:28 pm
I actually think we know more about it than other viruses, in a way, because it’s been so studied. Every virus is unique in its own way, but nothing about covid is entirely unheard of in other viruses. Lots of the after effects that are being linked to covid have been linked maybe not as strongly to other viruses, this just isn’t well known. If someone came to a dr with some of these weird/vague/chronic symptoms before covid they were probably be brushed off, sent to a psych, given a wastebasket diagnosis, not worked up for chronic viruses. But lots of people in the chronic illness community have been connecting these dots for years, and nothing here is sooo surprising.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:31 pm
Success10 wrote:
I just want to point out that we can't make any conclusions about things nobody knows about, like the long term effects of this virus. It can't be concluded yet that they are any different from any other virus. But from what we can see so far, it's a different virus and I agree with everything else you wrote. People's varied reactions are so weird. Sometimes there is a predictable pattern to the reactions, and other times there's no rhyme or reason to it.
Of course we can't make any conclusions about a novel virus, time will tell, science evolves.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I actually think we know more about it than other viruses, in a way, because it’s been so studied. Every virus is unique in its own way, but nothing about covid is entirely unheard of in other viruses. Lots of the after effects that are being linked to covid have been linked maybe not as strongly to other viruses, this just isn’t well known. If someone came to a dr with some of these weird/vague/chronic symptoms before covid they were probably be brushed off, sent to a psych, given a wastebasket diagnosis, not worked up for chronic viruses. But lots of people in the chronic illness community have been connecting these dots for years, and nothing here is sooo surprising.

So what other viruses or disease cause chronic illness besides COIVID? I’d like to learn more. Even now lots of people were told in a video I posted that they were just having anxiety or it was all in their head.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Also it effects [sic] different organs for some people that have nothing to do with respiratory functions.

So does poliomyelitis.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:36 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
So what other viruses or disease cause chronic illness besides COIVID? I’d like to learn more. Even now lots of people were told in a video I posted that they were just having anxiety or it was all in their head.
EBV/mono is a more well known example. CMV can cause similar issues. Strep has been linked to neuropsychiatric symptoms since the 1600’s. Lyme is often chronic. Bartonella has recently been linked to schizophrenia. Just to name a few. The literature is full of this information.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:40 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Epstein Barr and cytomegolovirus can both cause long term problems. They are being studied in connection with chronic fatigue syndrome.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:18 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Epstein Barr and cytomegolovirus can both cause long term problems. They are being studied in connection with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Yes. HHV6 as well. And loads of others that Id never heard of and can’t remember off hand that my dr tested me for. Literally vials and vials all testing for chronic infections.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:29 pm
Herpes simplex. Everyone gets this virus at some point, most people have no idea they’ve ever had it. https://jamanetwork.com/journa.....95486

Virtually every single pathogen can have chronic neurophsychological and systemic manifestations. Lots of viruses have an affinity for the central nervous system.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:42 pm
Is anyone here both knowledgeable enough on viruses, including COVID 19, and creative enough to write lyrics to a parody of mah nishtanah on this topic?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course, that's not really new, that there are other coronavira out there and even SARS and MERS, which are quite similar.

However, the note at the end is imbecilic.

There are many deadly viruses out there: HIV, Hepatitis, Poliovirus, SARS, MERS, Ebola, Coxsackie-Virus, EBV, you name it.

But many of them can maim or kill humans.

The fact that Cov-Sars-2 bears some resemblence to the sars virus and other coronavira does not make it more harmless...

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:02 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Herpes simplex. Everyone gets this virus at some point, most people have no idea they’ve ever had it. https://jamanetwork.com/journa.....95486

Virtually every single pathogen can have chronic neurophsychological and systemic manifestations. Lots of viruses have an affinity for the central nervous system.

HIV is a virus too. And you might live quite some time without knowing you have it.

Do you want to have it?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:15 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Did you ever hear of HIV?

It takes a long time till HIV manifests itself. You could well live 10 years without even knowing you have it, spreading it around if you change s-xual partners. Does this imply that the virus is just in people's heads? That they should not test for the virus to avoid spreading it? That they should not treat it as best as possible? Because in the end, no-one dies of AiDS, people die of pneumonia.

Why are people so gullible? Did you never learn the basics of human biology? Did you never take the time to watch one or two serious youtube videos or medical lectures? The information is out there, served in easily digestable portions. But don't fall for the kind of video you are referring to. And why would you post a video that spreads disinformation rather than information?

You could have watched and posted this:

Or this:

Or this:

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Also it effects different organs for some people that have nothing to do with respiratory functions.

Yes, that's old news.

It enters the cell through ACE2-receptors, so the virus could reproduce in any place where there are ACE2-receptors: respiratory tract, digestive tract, the inner coatings of blood vessels (causing blood clots that can cause strokes or heart attacks), and also in nerve cells, hence the anosmia in many patients, and not to forgot the atypical Kawasaki syndrome in children.

We have known this for around 9 months, maybe 8 for Kawasaki.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics