Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where do you find your Hungarian help

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:45 pm
Following the spin off on Hungarian cleaning help, made me consider trying one out...

Where did you find your Hungarian cleaning lady?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:54 pm
Is no one else offended by these inquiries?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:04 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

No

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:18 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

Yes.

naomi2

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:42 pm
What is offensive about this? She is looking to employ someone who is originally from Hungary because she heard they are good workers. What's the problem?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:46 pm
naomi2 wrote:
What is offensive about this? She is looking to employ someone who is originally from Hungary because she heard they are good workers. What's the problem?

It's offensive to stereotype on nationality, for good or for bad. If the good stereotypes are valid, then so are the bad ones.

Plus it's not such an amazing compliment to say a nationality are good cleaners. I wouldn't get all puffed up and proud if people said 'Ashkenazi Jews make the best cleaning ladies, where can I find one?'

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It's offensive to stereotype on nationality, for good or for bad. If the good stereotypes are valid, then so are the bad ones.

Plus it's not such an amazing compliment to say a nationality are good cleaners. I wouldn't get all puffed up and proud if people said 'Ashkenazi Jews make the best cleaning ladies, where can I find one?'

I disagree. I think it's a compliment!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:45 pm
Hungarians are the best at housekeeping. Period. It doesn't matter if they're Jewish or Rastafarian. If a person of Hungarian origin wants to earn a living cleaning houses there's no shame in that. She's getting a job doing something she's great at. That probably gives her some degree of satisfaction, and a decent salary too based on what cleaning ladies charge. There are exceptions to every stereotype and I'm sure there are Hungarians who are slobs, but it's hard to find one.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:48 pm
I don't think Hungarian cleaning ladies are still around. We had one in the family for 20 years, she went back 2 years ago. Oh did she clean! She was a machine!!! Since then we did not find yet a cleaning lady that even comes close to how good she was.
Some summer camps have Hungarians but they only come to the US for the summer months.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:49 pm
My mother was born after the war in Hungary. My grandparents emigrated to America with a family of several kids.

Anyway, whenever her cleaning help doesn't show, my mom jokes that this week she had an Hungarian do the cleaning. LOL (She usually has a Polish woman or lately a Hispanic women.)

Bubby6

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My mother was born after the war in Hungary. My grandparents emigrated to America with a family of several kids.

Anyway, whenever her cleaning help doesn't show, my mom jokes that this week she had an Hungarian do the cleaning. LOL (She usually has a Polish woman or lately a Hispanic women.)

Lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics