Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Brooklyn homes without private driveway

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:51 pm
Don't buy one.
Trust me on this one...
Unless you enjoy sharing a driveway with your neighbor/ circling all evening for a spot and then parking 3-5 blocks away/ don't own or plan on ever owning a car...
You're welcome Smile

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:53 pm
Yup. That was my number one thing when we bought. I told dh that I'm not buying a million dollar house and spending my life paying a crazy mortgage...just to have to circle round and round, park blocks away, and fight with a neighbor about a shared driveway. BH bought a corner house with a garage I can block on a street with pretty good parking.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 12:54 pm
If you have a driveway, you have to fight for it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Yup. That was my number one thing when we bought. I told dh that I'm not buying a million dollar house and spending my life paying a crazy mortgage...just to have to circle round and round, park blocks away, and fight with a neighbor about a shared driveway. BH bought a corner house with a garage I can block on a street with pretty good parking.

Totally!! And then when these people realize it was a huge mistake and want to sell, well noone wants to buy a house with no private driveway, so good luck!!
I see these gorgeous renovated homes for sale, but if no private driveway, it takes forever to sell.
Back in the day when these homes were built, all they needed was a narrow sliver of space for a horse Wink

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:56 pm
There should be a law that houses and condos can't be built without a driveway and parking garage respectively in Brooklyn. I don't know why people buy houses without driveways with space for at least 2-3 cars, because what do you do when your older teens or 20s start driving and they're still at home.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 1:56 pm
Not everyone has a car.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 3:18 pm
A big reason for the mass exodus from Brooklyn is the terrible parking conditions.

Sweet Pea

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 8:39 am
OP, what neighborhood do you live in? Not everywhere in Brooklyn can be that bad?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:06 am
Sweet Pea wrote:
OP, what neighborhood do you live in? Not everywhere in Brooklyn can be that bad?

Everywhere where the yidden live is bad.

Sweet Pea

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:18 am
Have you tried speaking to your neighbor? Maybe you can work something out with sharing?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Everywhere where the yidden live is bad.

Great! Go live in Bed Stuy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:20 am
Sweet Pea wrote:

The only areas in Brooklyn that I can think of that might have easier parking are Seagate and maybe Mill Basin??
The rest, Jewish and non Jewish areas, all difficult parking situation.

Sweet Pea

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 12:32 pm
Is it possible to work out a parking arrangement with your neighbor?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 1:29 pm
Sweet Pea wrote:
Is it possible to work out a parking arrangement with your neighbor?

Easier said than done.

- Someone who rented in Flatbush with a shared driveway for several years, then insisted on buying a private driveway - even without a house attacked to it!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:56 pm
My family had a private driveway. It was partially blocked so many times.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:21 pm
driveway fits 2 cars. dh and neighbor get along fine about it. they talk at night, who is leaving first in the morning, and arrange that car in the front of the other car. with that said, they allow their married children to park there whenever, and they freak out if my tenant parks there for a minute to empty out her groceries.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 6:52 pm
we dont have a driveway. we dont use the car much during the week bc my husband takes it to work. We always find parking on my block.... because every one else on my block has parking 😂😂😂

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
My family had a private driveway. It was partially blocked so many times.
happens to me all the time! I can't take it.. I once tracked the perp at the wig store down the block from me and 1 person was at the dentist. I walked into both place (dif times) and made an announcement to the waiting room. Of course they always play dumb..they couldnt care less that they are wasting my time!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:08 pm
What about a shared driveway with space in the back for parking and/or a garage. That's not what we're talking about here, right?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:19 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
What about a shared driveway with space in the back for parking and/or a garage. That's not what we're talking about here, right?

You're still at your neighbor's mercy... just because they *can* pull all the way to the back doesn't mean they will...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries