Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary info
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 2:18 am
Hi all. I'm new to the Seminy world.
DD is looking to apply for next year.
Any current info on Sems would be appreciated.
We are looking for a mainstream BY sem,
Where the principal is willing to give her a chance.
She will excel academically anywhere, but isn't coming from the 'typical' 4 years of BY high school.
Therefore I understand it may not be as easy to get her in.
In a perfect world, we'd consider Bnos Avigail and similar schools.

Schools generally take themselves very seriously and really get into your kishkas about where each family member learned, lives, davens etc.
She is not a problematic girl in any way.
Family dynamics are not always so "perfect", we need a sem with an approachable principal who will understand this.

Does anyone know of a BY Sem (preferably text based) where the principal will be willing to judge her based on who she is now, and not based on how her 'high school career' looks on paper?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:32 am
Machon Raaya - incredibly warm and approachable principal, strong text-based learning. I graduated several years ago, but my year, there were some girls who sound similar to your DD. Their approach is very much – where are you are now, and where you’re going, not where you were X number of years ago or where your family members daven, etc.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 7:37 am
Darchei Bina a lot of my friends went there and they really liked it. Most of them came from similar backgrounds as your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Machon Raaya - incredibly warm and approachable principal, strong text-based learning. I graduated several years ago, but my year, there were some girls who sound similar to your DD. Their approach is very much – where are you are now, and where you’re going, not where you were X number of years ago or where your family members daven, etc.

Thank you for this suggestion. Machon Raaya sounds like a good fit for her. What is the Principal's name? Does anyone have their contact info?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know of a BY Sem (preferably text based) where the principal will be willing to judge her based on who she is now, and not based on how her 'high school career' looks on paper?

I think highly of the principal of Ateres, I definitely think this description fits. Ateres has tracks, so it can cater to students who are highly academic as well as those who are not. Some like this, and some want a seminary with only very high academics. Something to think about.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:14 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think highly of the principal of Ateres, I definitely think this description fits. Ateres has tracks, so it can cater to students who are highly academic as well as those who are not. Some like this, and some want a seminary with only very high academics. Something to think about.

I think tracks are a great idea. The question is, how academic is the highest track? Part of the reason she left high school was boredom. I am not opposed to her being in sem with girls of different abilities, I just want to make sure that she will be stimulated. Does anyone have more info on the tracks? Do the same teachers teach all of them? etc.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this suggestion. Machon Raaya sounds like a good fit for her. What is the Principal's name? Does anyone have their contact info?

The principal is Mrs. Bracha Rosenblum. Try emailing bymraaya@gmail.com or calling 732 276 1382 (American line in E”Y). Hatzlocha!!

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:18 pm
I sat in on one class when I was looking into it and didn't find it very stimulating. Your daughter may be bored. On the other hand, the principal is amazing and it's a sweet place. Also very out of the way in Ramot if that makes a difference to you.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 12:24 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I sat in on one class when I was looking into it and didn't find it very stimulating. Your daughter may be bored. On the other hand, the principal is amazing and it's a sweet place. Also very out of the way in Ramot if that makes a difference to you.

Ateres is known to be less academic overall, but yes, a warm place.

Machon Raaya is probably closer to what you're looking for, OP.

Would Bnos Avigayil not take her due to her past? Where is she holding now?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Ateres is known to be less academic overall, but yes, a warm place.

Machon Raaya is probably closer to what you're looking for, OP.

Would Bnos Avigayil not take her due to her past? Where is she holding now?

I haven't approached Bnos Avigail or any other sems in EY yet. I am hesitant to do so because she wasn't in BY high school for 4 years. She doesnt have a "past". She never got involved with boys, drugs, etc. She was in a typical BY for 9th and 10th grade and excelled academically and socially.
She came to me Before 11th and cried to me that she wanted real and passionate yiddishkeit. She wanted to connect with the mitzvos because she deeply feels them, not just go through the motions.
I told her that it is ok to explore and each of His children connect to Hashem in their own way.
She went to an excellent MO school for 11th grade, they were serious and frum girls. An accurate comparison of the school is Bruriah H.S. of which girls go to serious MO sems afterwards such as Michlalah or MMY.
She did well academically there too.

After 11th grade she realized that the MO world has its issues and the BY world has its issues, but as a hashkafa and way of life, she connects with the BY world much more.
Today she is your 'typical' BY girl.
She did apply to a seminary/college program in the tristate area, and as soon as they heard where that she went to an MO school, they turned her away in a nasty way.

I am reluctant to approach sems because unfortunately we live in a world that cares more about how things look on paper than the person themselves. They just want to tick all the boxes.
She is a sweet neshama and her only desire then and no was/is to grow. Kids are kids. So what if she did a little searching and tried a couple different things to see what is right for her? It's not like the school she went to was for bad girls.

Java

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:16 pm
It sounds like Bnos Avigail could be a really good fit actually

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:19 pm
She sounds like a gem; more thoughtful and connected than many girls who would not try something new to attempt to find the deepest possible connection to Hashem and her neshama.

I'm sorry she was dismissed so meanly from the seminary/college program in the tristate area. I hope wherever she ends up, she will be properly appreciated.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I haven't approached Bnos Avigail or any other sems in EY yet. I am hesitant to do so because she wasn't in BY high school for 4 years. She doesnt have a "past". She never got involved with boys, drugs, etc. She was in a typical BY for 9th and 10th grade and excelled academically and socially.
She came to me Before 11th and cried to me that she wanted real and passionate yiddishkeit. She wanted to connect with the mitzvos because she deeply feels them, not just go through the motions.
I told her that it is ok to explore and each of His children connect to Hashem in their own way.
She went to an excellent MO school for 11th grade, they were serious and frum girls. An accurate comparison of the school is Bruriah H.S. of which girls go to serious MO sems afterwards such as Michlalah or MMY.
She did well academically there too.

After 11th grade she realized that the MO world has its issues and the BY world has its issues, but as a hashkafa and way of life, she connects with the BY world much more.
Today she is your 'typical' BY girl.
She did apply to a seminary/college program in the tristate area, and as soon as they heard where that she went to an MO school, they turned her away in a nasty way.

I am reluctant to approach sems because unfortunately we live in a world that cares more about how things look on paper than the person themselves. They just want to tick all the boxes.
She is a sweet neshama and her only desire then and no was/is to grow. Kids are kids. So what if she did a little searching and tried a couple different things to see what is right for her? It's not like the school she went to was for bad girls.

Got it. I'm sorry that the program was so nasty. Your daughter sounds like a wonderful girl and every seminary would be lucky to have her!

As the previous poster said, I think Bnos Avigail could be a great fit. Your daughter should write about her journey in her essay.

Machon Raaya should be a good option, as well. I doubt they would turn away your daughter because of her school background.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 1:31 pm
Definitely reach out to Machon Raaya - they are interested in who a girl is and who she wants to be, and do not pigeonhole girls into who they were previously. Tell the principal what you explained here. Your daughter sounds like a gem. From knowing both Mrs. Rosenblum and Rabbi Kass/Rebbetzin Heller/Gottlieb, it sounds like either place would be a good fit.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:15 pm
I don't know much about Machon Raaya, but Bnos Avigail is run by Rebbitzen Heller-Gotleib, and she is a very real, fine to earth person. She is likely to appreciate a sincere desire to form a relationship with Hashem, even if the journey involved was slightly unconventional. Apply, and don't try to hide the story. Let her personality speak for itself.

On another note, and not meaning to disrail this thread, there may well be less girls applying to Israeli seminaries this year, because of general uncertainty about the Corona situation. Less competition means a better chance of getting in where she wants.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Oct 14 2020, 3:23 pm
I went to Bnos Avigail a few years ago. Sounds like it would be a good fit for her...the principals really aren't the type that look into the families and determine based on that. They are looking for a bais yaakov girl, but someone more out of town. Definitely text based and simulating.
Feel free to PM me!

cat81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:13 pm
My out of town frum daughter that went to non typical bais Yaakov (most girls go to michlala or similar) and is interested in going to college was suggested the following in case it helps:

Machon Raya
Bnos Avigayil
Bnos Sarah
Chemdas

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:16 pm
cat81 wrote:
My out of town frum daughter that went to non typical bais Yaakov (most girls go to michlala or similar) and is interested in going to college was suggested the following in case it helps:

Machon Raya
Bnos Avigayil
Bnos Sarah
Chemdas

As far as I know, bnos sarah and chemdas are more yeshivish

cat81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:49 pm
TravelHearter wrote:
As far as I know, bnos sarah and chemdas are more yeshivish

We heard that about chemdas and took it off our list.

How “more yeshivish” is Bnos Sarah? My DD is frum but hardly yeshivish (by NY standards) and is not interested in Kollel life.

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:30 am
cat81 wrote:
We heard that about chemdas and took it off our list.

How “more yeshivish” is Bnos Sarah? My DD is frum but hardly yeshivish (by NY standards) and is not interested in Kollel life.

I didn’t go there so I don’t know- ask someone who did.
But the friends that did go were yeshivish, some out of town version
(A few years ago)
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics