Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Reflux 5 Months.All input/advice Please!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 5:45 am
Please please please, I'm tired and Im begging and im trying it all and it isn't working. I need solutions!! For reflux what helped your baby. Mine is off dairy, bottle is thickened, always elevated (during feeds, after feeds, honestly alllll the time) on probiotic and given gripe water, on both pepcid and prevacid. And NOTHING is helping him. He is ALWAYS squirming
Day and night. Never ever comfortable. He cant get more than 5-7 broken hours of sleep a night. Day naps are all horrific. He wakes contorting his body (even in stroller) struggling to get comfortable, or from chocking or from needing to reflux or burp hours aftet feed. He needs help! His eyes are always red and hes rubbing them, yawning all day very irritable and CLEARLY tired. His reflux clearly isnt managed. Please tell me if you have any ideas or answers. Please.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 7:03 am
Have u gone to ENT or gastro? They can scope it and see if there is anything else going on. Also, because babies grow quickly, their dosing grows quickly. He may not be taking enough meds. My reflux babies slept well in the car seat. No crib, even elevated, made them comfortable. Perhaps the formula itself is what he is sensitive to, and needs a change. Have u checked his stool for blood? That can also be soy allergy not just dairy.
One of my reflux kids had FPIES. Causes massive vomiting and diarrhea and uncomfortability. She was allergic to oatmeal. In babies, the most common fpies reactions are to rice and oatmeal. Of ur thickening with that, It can contribute.
Not to overwhelm you but some ideas u can explore.
Good luck. Refluz is h.lll

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Have u gone to ENT or gastro? They can scope it and see if there is anything else going on. Also, because babies grow quickly, their dosing grows quickly. He may not be taking enough meds. My reflux babies slept well in the car seat. No crib, even elevated, made them comfortable. Perhaps the formula itself is what he is sensitive to, and needs a change. Have u checked his stool for blood? That can also be soy allergy not just dairy.
One of my reflux kids had FPIES. Causes massive vomiting and diarrhea and uncomfortability. She was allergic to oatmeal. In babies, the most common fpies reactions are to rice and oatmeal. Of ur thickening with that, It can contribute.
Not to overwhelm you but some ideas u can explore.
Good luck. Refluz is h.lll

3 gastros, 2 ent, 1 allergist, 1 pneumologist dosage keeps getting imcreased but never helped in first place.not allergic to formula or the thickening agent. He does prefer the car seat but that also only lasts a short while. Its reallly horrible. I want to help him.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
3 gastros, 2 ent, 1 allergist, 1 pneumologist dosage keeps getting imcreased but never helped in first place.not allergic to formula or the thickening agent. He does prefer the car seat but that also only lasts a short while. Its reallly horrible. I want to help him.

I wonder if a craniosacral therapist can help.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:39 am
Maybe it's time for alternative like cranial sacral therapist?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:41 am
Was he ever on Prevacid? Ask your pediatrician about starting him on solids.
Maybe you need to switch his formula to something lighter or to soy. There's sensitive tummy formula.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:08 am
Have you checked for tongue tie?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Was he ever on Prevacid? Ask your pediatrician about starting him on solids.
Maybe you need to switch his formula to something lighter or to soy. There's sensitive tummy formula.

See above

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:12 am
My baby was similar, crying non stop and never sleeping. She was also constantly spitting up everywhere, insane amounts. She wasn’t gaining weight because that’s how much was coming back up. I switched her to allimentum, and literally after the first bottle I saw a difference. It stayed down. She smiled at me. And then took a nap. Poor baby must have been so hungry for 5 months:(

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:13 am
Also, I finished my prescription for reflux meds not long after I started her on allimentum. I didn’t rush to refill it and saw she was completely fine without it. She’s been off of them ever since.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:16 am
Sounds terrible hard. My 8 weeks old baby has it now too, he was screaming half the night , by once he fell asleep (in my bed) he stayed sleeping. He refuses to eat much , and is being very uncomfortable. Now he's got his meds . Hope it helps cause yesterday was a hard day for me and for him. Good luck, keep him elevated for now.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:33 am
I was also gonna suggest to try a cranial sacral Therapist. I have gone for myself and my reflux and vomiting was cleared up.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How did u test for allergies? FPIES isn't testable by any bloodwork or prick. Just by digesting it. Its an allergy that affects ur stomach. Most pediatricians aren't familiar with it. If he still squirming, he is uncomfortable so something has to change. The formula, the thickening agent, adding solids etc.
(The way I found FPIES was because ei was trying solids early because of reflux. I tried oatmeal first. She only got the intense vomiting and diarrhea after a few times eating it.)
He is rubbing his eyes, he is sensitive or allergic to something. It is very hard to test young babies for allergies. You just need to do eliminate stuff and see if its better.
(One reflux kid was dairy, wheat and soy...the other was oats...very random.)

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:58 am
Are you making sure to give the prevacid 30 minutes before a feed?
Giving it close to a feed with not work nearly as well.
Try an hypoallergenic formula like neocate or allimentum. all my babies were allergic to both dairy AND soy. Soy allergy often causes gastrio symptoms. By now I have pediatrician prescribe the allergy formula before I give birth, so it's ready in case I'm not available to breatsfeed right after birth. I do breastfeed, but I give formula from time to time. I go off all milk products before birth already.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:09 pm
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s so hard. Please don’t give up going for other opinions. You know as a mom something isn’t right. I think first switch to a formula like elecare or nutramagen .... with docs guidance if you can. And see if there’s a change within a week or two. You may need to go find a top GI to help you get to the bottom of it. Allergies don’t always show so young so even if you test you may not get a full picture. Also someone mentioned a tongue tie, please have that checked not always is a posterior tongue tie visible only a trained doctor would know. Are you in New York. Dr Ari goldsmith was excellent for us in tongue tie and dealing with reflux.....

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:06 pm
Very often the issue with reflux is insufficient stomach acid, as opposed to too much. Which is why the drugs that inhibit acid production just make things work. I would look for ways to increase stomach acid and improve digestion. Magnesium (topical for babies), digestive enzymes, infant probiotics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics