Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Attn OT, ST, PT, SEIT in schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:37 pm
What’s the average Chanukah tip? I have few therapists to give to and have no clue what the going rate for tips are. Pls let me kno so I can show my appreciation for what they do for my preschool child. Ty!

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:54 pm
So nice of you to give. I can’t tell you what’s expected, because I have never received a chanukah gift (or end of year really). I’ve worked for years in the school as an SLP. Not sure why I’m always overlooked. I would be so happy to receive anything and be appreciated.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:57 pm
I’m a speech therapist in a school and it’s rare for me to get anything. I guess after the parents give all the teachers and rabbeim, there’s not much left to give. It will be very appreciated if you do but don’t feel obligated. They are definitely not expecting it.

Stars

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:26 pm
Anything from a chocolate bar/donut with a card, to $100.
The note is most important. I like to write something short and cute on a picture of my child , with a heartfelt thank you. They seem to appreciate the thought.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:48 pm
As a Seit, a standard tip was twenty five dollars. Definitely not everyone gives, though.

amother
White

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:52 pm
If giving cash or gift card, $20-$25. I’ve also gotten small gifts such as serving bowls, leather hadlakas neiros cards, books, fancy soap/lotion set, nice soap dispenser. Whatever it is, it’s very appreciated and makes us feel valued.
-SLP in a yeshiva

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:20 pm
I'm a seit. I love a nice note! And a picture drawn by my student. Of course it's exciting getting a gift but it's not necessary!

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:55 pm
There isn't really a "going rate" for therapists/SEIT. The assumption is that because they are getting a higher hourly pay rate, they don't need the tips the way morahs do. However, they still put a lot of heart and soul (and overtime!) into your kid so at least a token of appreciation is very appropriate. Most people don't do anything and it's a bit of an insult if those same parents went all out for the classroom teachers (if a parent either doesn't have the money or doesn't have their act together to do anything for anyone, I totally get that.) When I do get something, it's usually along the lines of a $10 Starbucks card and/or a mug-level gift (or Amazing Savings serving dish...pretty notebook... yknow, something nice but not major) Once in a while I get more and it's definitely appreciated but also definitely not expected.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:53 pm
I am speech therapist in a large school in Brooklyn. There is no going rate and no expectation of gifts. Most of my student do not give me anything. While of course a show of appreciation is nice, I am a parent also and I understand how difficult it is that Chanukah has turned into a grand tipping event, and everyone is expected to cough up so much money at this time of year.

The way I work with my own children is that if I can afford it, I tip everyone (meaning their teachers and therapists) equally. This year I am not tipping anyone because covid has really affected us financially.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:31 pm
I have been working in various schools over my 10+ years as an OT. In some schools, I received many gifts. In some, very few. Average received was 25, but I did receive $10-100 presents, gifts and gift cards. It is appreciated to be appreciated but also I understand that some really don't have money and teachers and rebbeim work much harder than me. For those that have the money, it is very thoughtful with a nice note.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:33 pm
SEIT here, don't really get much, anything is appreciated.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:39 pm
Thx for the input! We don’t have a lot of $. However, my child’s therapists are putting their heart and soul into him. I def want to give something to show my appreciation

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:44 pm
If you don't have money, a card is fine. It's the nothingness that's not very nice. Nobody wants to be ignored. But also nobody normal wants to receive a gift at the expense of someone else's needs or security.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:36 pm
seeker wrote:
If you don't have money, a card is fine. It's the nothingness that's not very nice. Nobody wants to be ignored. But also nobody normal wants to receive a gift at the expense of someone else's needs or security.

Agree. I rarely even get a card. It would just be nice to have my hard work appreciated.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
So nice of you to give. I can’t tell you what’s expected, because I have never received a chanukah gift (or end of year really). I’ve worked for years in the school as an SLP. Not sure why I’m always overlooked. I would be so happy to receive anything and be appreciated.

Are you in constant contact with the parents???? I can’t image why you’d be overlooked

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:52 pm
I never too my children therapists. Not because I don't appreciate their work. Just life is so expensive and we don't have extra money. And they get a lot of money from my child's case. Therapists make way more money then the Morah and teacher.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:41 am
flowerpower wrote:
Are you in constant contact with the parents???? I can’t image why you’d be overlooked

I am in contact with parents. More than my kids’ teachers are with me. I don’t know why either.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:42 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I never too my children therapists. Not because I don't appreciate their work. Just life is so expensive and we don't have extra money. And they get a lot of money from my child's case. Therapists make way more money then the Morah and teacher.

Not all therapists. I definitely don’t. But maybe people think I do.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

LOL no we don't make "way more money" than teachers. I'm curious how you know that?? There is this huge misconception that therapists have such an easy job and are just raking it in. Let me clarify what is involved in being a therapist:

1. We only get paid for sessions that were done. So there is no payment for child's absences and days off from school. And most of the cases don't come in from the DOE until mid-October or so, so there is basically no income for September and October (especially with all the chagim). I have sisters and sisters-in-law who are teachers, and because they get the same salary every month, it basically evens out over the course of the year, and we end up with similar salaries.

2. We have very large caseloads. Parents are surprised when I tell them I have approx 25 students. They think therapists have only 5 or 6 students. It is alot of work to manage such a large caseload

3. The same way teachers prepare for their lessons, therapists spend hours preparing for each session. I actually spend more time preparing than my family members who are teachers. While teachers teach the dame curriculum every year and just have to tweak it, I have 25 different "curriculums" and there are always new things coming up that I need to research.

4. The workday itself is longer. Most teachers work 3.5-4 hours a day; they either teach in the morning or the afternoon. Most therapists work 5-7 hours a day. Also, at least in my school, I see that the teachers have some down time (when the students have recess/lunch) to eat a little, schmooze with co-teachers etc. I run around the school doing session after session after session, back to back. I don't have a minute to breathe, eat/drink, or go to the bathroom. And I can't afford to take an unpaid lunch break, because like I said, we don't really make that much money

5. Teachers have a budget from the school and receive supplies from the school. Therapists have to buy everything themselves-posters for the wall, games, prizes, workbooks, glue/markers/pencils etc etc It really adds up.

6. Teachers were not affected by corona. They received the same paycheck every month, whether they taught a whole day on zoom or 45 minutes on a phone conference. Most therapists were affected very badly by corona. Majority of students on my caseload did not want teletherapy.

8. Therapists have a TON of paperwork. We need to write session notes, quarterly reports, annual reports +all the rest of the ridiculous paperwork that the DOE requires. I spend every evening, Sunday, Saturday night, and Sunday on paperwork. Teachers do report cards 2-3 times a year.

9. My agency requires us to call every parent once every other month. I don't think teachers speak with parents that often. And most parents call/text me often in between those phone calls. I have had parents keep me on the phone for 20 minutes. Multiply that by 25 students. And this is all on my own time, in the afternoons when I should be spending time with my kids, or in the evening

To clarify, like I said in my previous post, I DO NOT think you should tip if you can't afford it. Like I said, I cannot afford to tip anyone this year because of corona. But if you can afford it and you want to give it, I think the right think is to tip everyone equally

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:22 am
Thanks for explaining your side.

I never tipped because I felt like the therapists make sooo much money off my child's hours. They make so much so why do I need to tip them. (I'm a preschool Morah and make very little per hour compared to therapists)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics