Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Any ideas how NOT to gain a million pounds over Chanuka????
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:59 pm
I think if I only ate when I was hungry I'd be very thin!!
that's a good one!!
the temptations are everywhere, even the cafes are serving 2000 plus calorie donuts.....and churros dripping in carmel sauce..........

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:07 pm
Eat regularly plus one daily treat. Be smart and save your treat till the end of the day so that if you splurge on a 2000 calorie diet from the store but then you're at a party at night, you're stuck cuz you already used up your treat of the day.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:52 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Maybe make yourself a goof fleishig meal right before a Milchig party and vice versa.
No one cheats on that!

Until someone brings Parve sufganiot...

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 11:15 am
Just don't bring too much junk into your house. Save the fried goodies for a special treat. You don't need to eat massive quantities of sufganyot every night. If you know you are going to parties, save your indulgences for parties only.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:02 pm
We eat well all the days of the year. We don’t eat high carb food. We love cheese and chicken wings ( though not together, of course.) I might make salmon patties because I can’t be bothered with low carb veg latkas.

Chanukah for our family does not mean insane eating and binging anymore.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:34 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Maybe make yourself a goof fleishig meal

Are you litfish? LOL

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would love to hear any and all ideas....besides eating lettuce and starving...
meaning how to enjoy Chanuka and enjoy the special Chanuka foods without gaining tons of weight!!
any tips/advice would be great!!
last year I gained like ten pounds!!!
(B'H I dieted and lost it right afterwards....but still, would love to avoid that!!)

Don’t eat donuts and latkes. Eat all protein and veggies and healthy fat and the weight will fall off.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:58 pm
I think the answer would be intuitive eating. Stop eating when your full. Eat only what you truly want and what will make you feel good. You probably won’t gain so much by doing this.
Also make sure to drink a lot of water and stay active.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:20 pm
I'm posting anonymously because I don't want to knock any of the previous good ideas.

Having said that there is only one thing that will really work

NO SUGAR , NO FLOUR for the whole duration.

Say it like a mantra: "no sugar, no flour". both these foods are HIGHLY addictive and leave you craving more. btw, NO SUGAR includes no sugar substitutes. aspartame, splenda, and all other similar poisons also leave you craving more.

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my number if you'd like to call me each night of chanuka before bed to let me know what you ate that day. I will hold you accountable and be your personal cheerleader.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:31 pm
Thanks navy, that's so nice of you!! I really appreciate it.
I think I'm from the group that does better having a little...I can totally do that and I don't have crazy cravings....just today for Shabbos dessert I had 2 tbs. of cookie dough ice cream plus 3 chocolate chips for dessert, I felt totally satisfied and happy, while I served everyone else a full scoop (I didn't use a real measuring spoon, because not allowed on Shabbos, but I eyeball pretty accurately)
if I would have tried to skip it totally, I would have been craving sweets all afternoon.
but I know alot of ppl are like this, that "once they pop, the fun don't stop" Smile
I'm going to try the intuitive eating approach, going with the food that talks me the most and listening to myself when I'm full, and of course eating slowly, and staying hydrated. also I'm going to keep a calorie count I"YH.
Also, I get rapid heart beat from foods that don't work for me and I know to avoid them...this has been going on for sometime, I haven't had candy in ages because I get rapid heart beat, I recently had ONE twizzler and I got rapid heart beat, I was like, ok, I got the message no more twizzlers!!
so I definitely use that as my barometer...
interestingly, I got rapid heartbeat from cream of broccoli soup from a cafe..... I thought it was a fluke and then the next time I got it again....so I am definitely avoiding that soup even though it was delicious and I had thought it was a great choice for lunch....

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Wheat, dairy and sugar are the 3 most addictive foods on earth. We just stay away. I make gluten free doughnuts with unrefined sweeteners. Vegetable latkas in coconut oil. If I want dairy I’ll use a little bit of sheep or goat feta in a salad or a gluten free pizza. Totally satisfying but not addictive.

This exists?
Do you have a recipe for the doughnuts?!

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:01 pm
Honestly trying to start a diet a week before Chanukah 🕎 is only setting yourself up to utter failure.

Right after Chanukah get on the bandwagon

Look into keto, because honestly it’s the only way of eating that you will never be starving once you’re fat adapted.
EVERYDAY for breakfast I have cheese crispy things I call nachos and mashed avocado
EVERYDAY for dinner I have chicken wings- deep fried if I please l, with a small salad full of mayo based dressing and some broth -and I’m super satisfied.

I’ve made fathead dough pizza that is the best pizza in the world. And just 1 slice is satisfying

This from someone that was always miserable and feeling deprived unless I ate the entire nosh isle at the supermarket and could easily eat a whole pizza pie and have room for fries and dessert.

Just a warning if you do try keto
It’s an all or nothing Way it f eating
If not you will gain weight.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 8:24 pm
what's fat head dough pizza?
that sounds interesting
recently I've been into vegetable slice pizza; I figured out one slice is only 330 calories, which is pretty good for a lunch....

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what's fat head dough pizza?
that sounds interesting
recently I've been into vegetable slice pizza; I figured out one slice is only 330 calories, which is pretty good for a lunch....

Fathead dough pizza is very calorie dense
I wouldn’t recommend it if you are a sugar burner
You can google it
The dough is made out of cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, egg, and seasoning-optional.
And yes I lose weight eating such fatty calorie dense food.
But it only works if you lower your carbs under 20grams.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I'm posting anonymously because I don't want to knock any of the previous good ideas.

Say it like a mantra: "no sugar, no flour". both these foods are HIGHLY addictive and leave you craving more. btw, NO SUGAR includes no sugar substitutes. aspartame, splenda, and all other similar poisons also leave you craving more.

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my number if you'd like to call me each night of chanuka before bed to let me know what you ate that day. I will hold you accountable and be your personal cheerleader.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

Seems ridiculous to repeatedly insist that THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS when so many people do not do this and yet do not gain weight.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 12:22 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
This exists?
Do you have a recipe for the doughnuts?!
Rorie from full n free just did a whole insta post on these. She has a recipe for reg gluten free, low carb gluten free and baked grain free. 2 different toppings, chocolate drizzle, coconut sugar powder, and some kind of honey glaze. Also fillings made from 100%fruit jelly. There’s someone who also makes her recipes and sells them ready made. Hava java in monsey will also be carrying a full line of these over Chanukah.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 12:26 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I wish I could share the meme I saw. It was a sign in Hebrew, in a bakery, which stated sugar free, dairy free, gluten free donuts and under it was a picture of a basket of tomatoes!
I remember seeing that meme too, and I get it, nothing gives us quite that sugar/carb/fat fix like a proper jelly filled donut. But it also made me a little sad and upset, because there really are so many delicious options out there that are sooo much better for our bodies, made from real ingredients. It’s just that they’ll never measure up as long as there’s the fake competition out there. But if someone really cares enough, and is willing to forego some of the addictiveness of the fake stuff, there are some really good substitutes available. Not just tomatoes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:05 am
I haven't tried any of Rorie's line at hava java because they're higher priced than the regular hava java stuff (which is pricey enough!!), did anyone try any of that line? there was an option for the tuna fish...but I was scared to try it.......and if I'm eating a donut once a year, I'd rather just eat a custard/caramel/cheesecake donut!!! I'm not into fruit jelly.....

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I haven't tried any of Rorie's line at hava java because they're higher priced than the regular hava java stuff (which is pricey enough!!), did anyone try any of that line? there was an option for the tuna fish...but I was scared to try it.......and if I'm eating a donut once a year, I'd rather just eat a custard/caramel/cheesecake donut!!! I'm not into fruit jelly.....

Is this an autocorrect fail/typo?

Tuna fish sufganyot?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

YOU CAN DO THIS.

This is an awesome offer and if anyone feels they need an accountability buddy, I think you should avail yourself of it. Being accountable can help people. Also show you patterns that you might miss when looking at yourself.

This offer was not made by me ( I always post under my screen name.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise