Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby Eczema- Help!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:55 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Ooo I love this argument!
No. It is absolutely 2854318% false.
Just curious, how old are you?

Hey. instead of saying "its false". Please back up your data.
A) Insert disagrees with you.
B) I know way too many parents who have living proof of this and disagree with you.
C) I dont get paid to have these consults. People call and tell me how their kdis eczema developed and within how long of vaccination. Cant just be coincidence. Its a common trend unfortuantely.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:59 am
realsilver wrote:
Yes! I can’t believe this is a real thing. My kids are all allergic to chicken and chicken soup as babies.. I was wondering If it’s a real thing.

Yes, chicken allergies are real. And they fall into the egg category acd to some.. they both from same animal

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:18 am
What helped my kids was to stop bathing them frequently. As needed if they got dirty, of course, but otherwise only two or three times a week, max. No matter what medicines/oils/treatments I put in the bath water, no matter what creams I put on them afterwards, they'd still get eczema. But bathing less often helped a lot.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:45 am
kalsee wrote:
OP, I agree with you that this is all very confusing and not conclusive. The whole topic of eczema/allergies does not have enough accurate medical information at all.

Just in this thread, you have posters claiming amazing results, and another saying how the same treatment was the worst thing for her child.

So I just wanted to give you chizzuk that I know it's confusing and there's no "right" answer. You have to find what works for you.

Hatzlacha!

Thank you for the chizzuk. You're right this whole topic is confusing and this thread is a great example of that. In this thread alone I heard:
1. Coconut oil works wonders- don't use coconut oil!
2. Go off eggs and dairy to try it out- dont go off anything you dont know for sure as it may cause an allergy.
3. Use hydrocortisone- dont, it's a waste of time
4. Bathe infrequently- give long baths and lock in moisture afterwards.

(Sigh)
So meanwhile I'm on day two off eggs and day one off dairy. Today dd's eczema was absolutely horrendous, and I've been using only aquaphor.

Does anyone know if skin tests are accurate? I had dd tested twice, for the same things. One time it came out that she was not allergic to anything besides for peanuts. We went back a few weeks later and re-tested. It came back positive for about 7 things. I found it very weird. Did anyone ever have this? How should I know which test to trust??

kalsee

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 3:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So meanwhile I'm on day two off eggs and day one off dairy. Today dd's eczema was absolutely horrendous, and I've been using only aquaphor.

You have to reach a baseline of no open skin, no oozing wounds , no infections on the surface - in order to be able to see a difference.

I use a an antibiotic ointment and some steriod cream, diluted in a lot of moisturizer.
(Usually - 20 gram of each to 250 gram of moisturizer)

Using this once a day usually gets us down to clear skin within three days.

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Does anyone know if skin tests are accurate? I had dd tested twice, for the same things. One time it came out that she was not allergic to anything besides for peanuts. We went back a few weeks later and re-tested. It came back positive for about 7 things. I found it very weird. Did anyone ever have this? How should I know which test to trust??

I have had very very inaccurate results for skin prick tests. I don't trust them at all for kids with eczema.
I've done blood tests for specific food items I suspected. Strongly recommend testing for dust mites too

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 4:41 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Do you realize that by keeping eggs in your child's diet, you could be causing the eczema. Eczema is extremely painful and interferes with development.
Also, if you speak to allergists, you'll get varied opinions. Many allergists are reporting that they don't find this to be true.

Or she could develop an anaphylactic reaction to eggs due to being off of it for so long, which will make her life a lot more difficult in the long run (there are eggs in many foods/recipes).

BH she is developing perfectly fine.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 4:42 am
Don't forget OP there is a strong genetic factor to developing eczema.

Also, eczema does not start to develop until 2-3 months if age, whether vaccinated or not.

spikta

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:34 am
Another data point:
We also minimized baths, we only did once a week unless he was actually dirty. We used steroid cream to get the flare ups under control, and then aveno baby moisturizer twice a day. If I skipped the aveno it would flare up again. He grew out of it at around 9 months/when it got warmer out. He's having a bit of a flare up again now that winter started, but not as bad as last year, and the steroids +aveno have it under control.
No changes in diet.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:44 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Hey. instead of saying "its false". Please back up your data.
A) Insert disagrees with you.
B) I know way too many parents who have living proof of this and disagree with you.
C) I dont get paid to have these consults. People call and tell me how their kdis eczema developed and within how long of vaccination. Cant just be coincidence. Its a common trend unfortuantely.

I work in the field, and your anecdotal data doesn’t back up science, sorry.
The MMR and the flu vaccine have a tiny bit of egg in it. They can cause reactions in children who are severely allergic. In the event that your child has a severe egg allergy, stay in the drs office for 10-15 min after your child gets the vax.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the chizzuk. You're right this whole topic is confusing and this thread is a great example of that. In this thread alone I heard:
2. Go off eggs and dairy to try it out- dont go off anything you dont know for sure as it may cause an allergy.

(Sigh)

How old was she when she got tested? The skin tests are nearly 100% accurate, but they are less accurate before 6 months. She also could have developed allergies between testing.
I’ll address your concerns- 1. Coconut oil is great, but if she’s allergic it will not help. I wouldn’t recommend using any food to help the problem if she has food allergies. The thing is, you don’t know if she does. Try it and see what happens. It won’t kill her, dw.
2. Stay off of eggs and dairy. If you see no improvement, try gluten and nuts.
3. Hydrocortisone is a steroid and can cause skin thinning abs discoloration, especially on babies’ delicate skin. It also doesn’t necessarily address the problem. It just fixes the symptoms. If you choose to use it, use it sparingly. Ask your Dr about Eucrisa instead.
4. Bathe every other day, quick bath. And definitely lock in moisture.

mochamix18

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 7:00 am
I didn’t read through the whole thread. My firstborn has this horribly, he was red like a little lobster. The thing that helps the most nice I got it under control was cerave cream. I know it sounds crazy but it kept it under control. Also this didn’t work for me but a lot if people swear by oil baths. Something like this

https://www.drugstore.co.il/לה-רוש-פוזה-ליפיקאר-שמן-רחצה-להרגעת-העור?gclid=CjwKCAiAn7L-BRBbEiwAl9UtkE9zUaNirkHIn-jZ-A3OA6yathABcIBPDsn7MT3oPn7MRG_THzEXXRoCanwQAvD_BwE

is gentle enough even for baby and can do wonders. Add to the bath water. Do not put directly on babies skin.

ETA:
I know I’m going to get tomatoes thrown, but do NOT experiment with coconut oil with this condition. Any oil put directly on the eczema, even the one above will make it worse. Coconut oil in particular is comedogenic and yes there are allergies to it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Don't forget OP there is a strong genetic factor to developing eczema.

Also, eczema does not start to develop until 2-3 months if age, whether vaccinated or not.

I have heard that it runs in families. Interestingly enough, this is my 8th child, and none of them had any allergies or eczema.
I vaccinate all my kids. Eczema started st around 3 months

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

(Sigh)

There is so much conflicting information out there! I know the feeling. Personally, I try to go with things that have clinical studies backing them up.
My son has eczema and multiple food allergies. I have done a lot of research into the subject. Obviously, I’m not an allergist or a medical professional. Early introduction of food to the baby (4 months and consistent specific quantities) can help prevent allergies (not foolproof). Both skin and blood tests have a very high false positive rate. The true test is always eating the food. Allergists can schedule food challenges for these. Eliminating food the child is eating without an allergic reaction (eczema is not considered that kind of reaction) and has tested positive to can cause an allergy to that food. I don’t think that research has been done to show the same thing happening with you eliminating the food from your diet. I did need to eliminate most of his allergens from my diet before I saw a big difference in his eczema and projectile spit up. There is a link between introducing food proteins the child is not yet eating via broken skin (eczema) causing food allergies. I have three kids with eczema - only one has food allergies. His eczema was the the most severe and started earliest. Even so, it has improved a lot with time. We try to keep him moisturized (eucerin). We have done bleach baths with him and have used steroid cream and put him on Zyrtec. Right now, we have stopped using steroids and are using Eucrisa (prescription only cream) instead and moisturizer after every bath. There is also wet wrapping (sleeping in wet pajamas with dry ones on top) that is supposed to work wonders if the kids cooperate. This was suggested by several allergists for older kids. Kids can develop more allergies. Eliminating nuts and peanuts from my diet probably made the biggest difference in my son’s skin. He was diagnosed with allergies prior to actually eating them himself, so it’s hard to tell whether any were false positives. His bloodwork numbers were too high for our allergist to try a food challenge with him. He is currently in an oral immunotherapy program where he is introduced to tiny amounts of his allergens with the amounts increasing over time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
How old was she when she got tested? The skin tests are nearly 100% accurate, but they are less accurate before 6 months. She also could have developed allergies between testing.
I’ll address your concerns- 1. Coconut oil is great, but if she’s allergic it will not help. I wouldn’t recommend using any food to help the problem if she has food allergies. The thing is, you don’t know if she does. Try it and see what happens. It won’t kill her, dw.
2. Stay off of eggs and dairy. If you see no improvement, try gluten and nuts.
3. Hydrocortisone is a steroid and can cause skin thinning abs discoloration, especially on babies’ delicate skin. It also doesn’t necessarily address the problem. It just fixes the symptoms. If you choose to use it, use it sparingly. Ask your Dr about Eucrisa instead.
4. Bathe every other day, quick bath. And definitely lock in moisture.

Thank you for all your help.
So she actually was tested twice, about three weeks apart from each other. She was around 7 months old at the time. As I mentioned, the results were very different the second time, and that is why I am so confused. I dont understand how one can develop allergies in between testing. I am planning to get another opinion.

I have taken myself off eggs and dairy. I'm confused about the imamother who keeps saying that going off a food can cause her to become severely allergic and c"v cause an anaphylactic reaction. I have heard that to be the case with peanuts. Is it true for other foods as well?
How can anyone go off any food in that case? This is another one of those confusions.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:20 pm
bnm wrote:
ahhh the years old discussion if allergies causes eczema or the new research saying eczema can cause allergies. what they do agree is that kids with eczema seem to have more allergies and asthma.

about eliminating food from a nursing mother's diet- it can take 2 weeks to fully leave the milk.
Why does one have to cause the other? Why can’t they just be correlated via easinophils, IgE reactivity, atopy? With immune dysregulation being the driver of all of them?

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So she actually was tested twice, about three weeks apart from each other. She was around 7 months old at the time. As I mentioned, the results were very different the second time, and that is why I am so confused. I dont understand how one can develop allergies in between testing. I am planning to get another opinion.

I have taken myself off eggs and dairy. I'm confused about the imamother who keeps saying that going off a food can cause her to become severely allergic and c"v cause an anaphylactic reaction. I have heard that to be the case with peanuts. Is it true for other foods as well?
How can anyone go off any food in that case? This is another one of those confusions.

My allergist would never take a nursing mother off of foods without rhyme or reason. I think you shouldn't be going at it alone. Also the size of the hive and determining if it's an "allergy" is subjective. My child was tested for milk and developed a hive. The nurse at first thought it was an allergy. She called the dr. The allergist decided it was borderline in size and refused to call it an allergy. When my baby ate yogurt, my baby had a terrible allergic reaction. The Dr said wait 6 months and try again. Bh everything was good. That's why the dr didn't want to call it a true allergy. It's irresponsible to take yourself off of foods without medical guidance, IMHO. I did go off eggs completely in order to continue to nurse. It was HARD. I cannot imagine going off dairy as well unless it is medically necessary! It's just too hard!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My understanding is it’s a risk when a child tests positive for something, but the child is eating the food without having an allergic reaction that eliminating that food from their diet will then cause a true allergic reaction because they will lose their tolerance to that food. Of course, people do go off foods and don’t become allergic to that food, but it is a risk. My child did develop more allergies over time (comparing testing at 7 months to a year etc). Blanket testing for foods there is no history of reaction to is actually not recommended anymore because of the high rate of false positives and unnecessary food elimination that can raise the risk for a true allergy. Again, it’s a risk not a for sure thing.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Or she could develop an anaphylactic reaction to eggs due to being off of it for so long, which will make her life a lot more difficult in the long run (there are eggs in many foods/recipes).

BH she is developing perfectly fine.

Applause Applause

Exactly!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 8:00 pm
I really appreciate all the Imas out there who took the time to advise.
So I just spoke with the allergist.
He said that the skin tests are actually not very accurate and that there are many false positives. The most accurate way to know for sure is to eliminate the food and see if it gets better.
I asked him if I need to worry about possibly causing a severe allergy by going off the food. He said there is truth to that, but no worries if I only go off the food for a month or so. It can happen if I am off the food for a year.
Using hydrocortisone and then stopping will cause a rebound which is worse than it was before. (It wasn't my imagination!)
So for now, I will stay the course and eliminate eggs and milk from my diet for 2-4 weeks. If I see improvement, great. If not, I know I tried. He said food allergies are responsible for eczema in in 40 percent of cases , and 92% of the time it's an allergy to eggs, followed distantly by dairy.
So what do you ladies eat???

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really appreciate all the Imas out there who took the time to advise.
So I just spoke with the allergist.
He said that the skin tests are actually not very accurate and that there are many false positives. The most accurate way to know for sure is to eliminate the food and see if it gets better.
I asked him if I need to worry about possibly causing a severe allergy by going off the food. He said there is truth to that, but no worries if I only go off the food for a month or so. It can happen if I am off the food for a year.
Using hydrocortisone and then stopping will cause a rebound which is worse than it was before. (It wasn't my imagination!)
So for now, I will stay the course and eliminate eggs and milk from my diet for 2-4 weeks. If I see improvement, great. If not, I know I tried. He said food allergies are responsible for eczema in in 40 percent of cases , and 92% of the time it's an allergy to eggs, followed distantly by dairy.
So what do you ladies eat???

But why are you going off of two things at once? What did the allergist say about that? No test is absolutely reliable. Nothing is as reliable as actually ingesting the food itself. I would think going off one at a time will be more accurate?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics