Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm embarrassed to ask but am still wondering

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:57 am
Do men ever touch (wax) their eye brows? I have realized many times men that have the perfect kind brows. I'm used to boys/men having messy brows and it's very interesting to me when I see guys with the perfect shape.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:00 am
And no I'm not into boys or men it's just something I spot right away.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:40 am
I see ads for salons that do waxing for men. No one in my family does it, but there must be men who do.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:41 am
Yes many men do have their brows waxed or tweezed if they look too perfect it is because it's touched up. Some only do their unibrow and others get it shaped fully.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:42 am
Some do. I've never met frum men who do though I've never asked frum men. I would just know from my family and DH. All of which have decent eyebrows no unibrow or anything.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:44 am
My husband occasionally plucks his unibrow. Never waxes or touches the shape.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:46 am
My husband doesn’t wax but he naturally has great eyebrows shape. He is not hairy in general so maybe that helps

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:53 am
I would think this is assur for Jewish men since, like shaving underarm hair, it is a thing that women do. But so-called 'metrozexuals'--straight men who are very into looks and fashion--and of course gay men--do. But you know there are individuals of all genders who were blessed with naturally perfect-looking eyebrows, just as there are people with naturally-occurring perfect teeth and other "perfect" features.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 7:58 am
My husband doesn't wax, but he asks the barber to fix it up when he goes for his haircut.
He used to just leave it, but he's very hairy and I hated the unibrow. He doesn't shape it, just cleans it and makes sure it doesn't become a unibrow again.
(The first time he did it his dad commented something about it being a women's thing, and he said yup I'm married to a woman.)

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:01 am
zaq wrote:
I would think this is assur for Jewish men since, like shaving underarm hair, it is a thing that women do. But so-called 'metrozexuals'--straight men who are very into looks and fashion--and of course gay men--do. But you know there are individuals of all genders who were blessed with naturally perfect-looking eyebrows, just as there are people with naturally-occurring perfect teeth and other "perfect" features.

There are genuine reasons a man could remove hair. If it made him uncomfortable for example. If someone has a massive unibrow and it's to the point of embarrassment and not the usual for men than I think he would be allowed to remove it.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And no I'm not into boys or men it's just something I spot right away.

I would hope you’re into men... unless you’re a lesbian.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:15 am
LovesHashem wrote:
There are genuine reasons a man could remove hair. If it made him uncomfortable for example. If someone has a massive unibrow and it's to the point of embarrassment and not the usual for men than I think he would be allowed to remove it.

I think it also depends on the method of removal. My DH uses a little trimmer thing to trim his eyebrows/unibrow.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:32 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I would hope you’re into men... unless you’re a lesbian.

My dh yeah, into others? Noooo!!! Lesbian ? Nooo!!!!! never will be!!!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:39 am
My DH was told that he can remove any hair that I want removed (except his peyos, obviously). I've never had any thoughts about his eyebrows, but the Rav said he could shave down there.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 2:32 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

A unibrow is different from perfecting the shape, because a unibrow is usually considered a blemish.

While we find that changed practice can turn classically forbidden grooming into permitted, practice can also expand matters forbidden due to its feminine nature. The gemara (Makkot 20b) forbids removing individual hairs (from the head or the beard, which is generally permitted) if he is removing white hairs from among dark hairs, to make him look younger, as women do. Similarly, poskim of our era have generally assumed that grooming eyebrows is a feminine activity, and thus, as a rule, is forbidden for men.

Even so, fixing a unibrow is permitted according to rabbinic consensus (including Rav S.Z. Auerbach, cited in Nishmat Avraham, YD, p. 140). While not meaning to put down anyone who is willing to keep it, many, including you, consider it an embarrassing blemish (in some cultures, it is desired). Just as the Shulchan Aruch (ibid. 4) permits hair removal that would otherwise be forbidden when it is done to alleviate skin pain, so too it is permitted to remove emotional distress, even if it is not extreme. The main rationale is not that the need enables waiving minor prohibitions or relying on lenient opinions. Rather, the prohibition is based on the assumption that a man is acting with a degree of care for beautification that is generally reserved for women (see Igrot Moshe, YD II:61, in permitting coloring hair in order to get a job for which he looks too old). Removing a unibrow is not seen as acting to looking one’s absolute best, but just as avoiding sticking out negatively, and this is not within the prohibition’s parameters.

Regarding bushy eyebrows, the matter is less clear-cut and depends on time/place but likely also on the degree of grooming one is talking about. Extreme bushiness could reach the point of blemish. Regarding cases that are within the bounds of normal, we would say that a few decades ago, it was forbidden. However, it has become increasingly common for men to groom eyebrows (the norms of non-Jews are, according to many, relevant for determining these matters – Prisha, YD 282:5). Therefore, it is likely permitted these days in many places. We would just say that a man should do the grooming in the way men do it, if and assuming it is different from the way women do.

To make a long story short, each man should ask his rav.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 2:35 pm
My brothers look like they do but that’s just how it grows in my family.
Dh has two bushes! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics