Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
COVID Sucks!!!! Please stop minimizing it!!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
OP, you may not realize it--and obviously the imamother censor doesn't realize it, either, which is odd --but the word you used in your title to mean "is something very unpleasant" is a very vulgar term when used in this way. It's fine when you use it to describe the action by which a vacuum cleaner collects dirt, but used as you did, it's offensive and inappropriate for this site. Please, please, change it to "stinks" or "reeks" or "is horrible" or anything along those lines. I feel slapped in the face very time I see your thread title.

Maybe you and all the other imas are so temimusdik you don't even know it's a vulgar term.

Firstly, I am extremely happy to b'H be a temimusdik Yiddishe Mamme and ignorant of many vulgar words.
Secondly, I'm taken aback by the word options you suggested OP use instead of "sucks."
Seriously, does saying "corona stinks" or corona reeks" sound better than "sucks?"
The real definition of both words means - a very bad smell.
I don't see how those words even connect with describing corona.
Why can't we just use simple words which are correct in usage to what OP is talking about, like you wrote "is horrible?"
"Corona is horrible"
or
"Corona is disastrous"
or
"Corona is absolutely terrible"
Clean words which aptly describe the situation.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It's not universally considered a vulgar term. complex than most people .

I don't thinks it's a universally known expression/word at all, in the context that it was used in posts here.
It doesn't exist in England AFAIK.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:29 pm
It's not universally considered a vulgar term. The etymology is more complex than most people think. Suck it up, buttercup.

I am curious about the etymology.
But more than that, I want to get the thread back on track. Though it could be that OP feels sufficiently validated. OP, sending good thoughts and koach (no wait, I need that, sorry about that. Hope the thought counts, though) your way!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What did I write that was offensive???
Being that I am BBB - British born 'n' bred, I only know the definition of the word 'sucks' as when someone sucks on a sweet or lozenga or toffee... in their mouth, and haven't heard it used in any other manner.
Reading OP's post and understanding the gist of it, I made the assumption that with "sucks" she means to say that corona is difficult. And it is. I really feel with your pain, OP.
I thought I made that clear.

Sorry, didn't mean that what you said was offensive. Just that I wouldn't recommend to someone to use it without understanding the context of how it's generally understood.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is not a discussion about following restrictions. We should.
However, it really irritated me when people minimize other's pain.
My son had a Corona bar mitzvah in June. He spent 6 months practicing his parsha only to lain in front of 9 other men. He dreamed of a 90 person dinner, dancing, singing. He got a dinner in our living room with his class calling in.
He understood. He was a good sport.
But let him kvetchy. Don't tell him that his parents saved money. Don't tell him that bar mitzvas are stupid to spend money on.
Tell him Corona sucks.
My cousin who got married, my child who missed out on graduation and graduation trip, my neighbor who had her seminary year cut short.
My kids haven't seen their grandparents since Chanukah. They don't want to hear all the positives. How you can do everything like before with masks and social distancing.
They want to hear that Corona sucks. That it still sucks. That every bar mitzvah boy, chassan, kalla, graduate, everyone lost out.
And it's rough.
Why are we so afraid of doing that? Why the need for positive spin?

Corona does suck.
Wallowing in the misery of it sucks more.
That's all.
Best to focus on the positive and whatever we can be grateful for.
It makes for a far more pleasant life.
And I say this as someone with PTSD who has been very triggered by all the masks and SD and everything else that has come with it. This is not easy for me. I am suffering badly emotionally. Still I wake up every day and TRY my hardest to see the good and say THANK YOU HASHEM!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:36 pm
It's not universally considered a vulgar term. The etymology is more complex than most people think. Suck it up, buttercup.

In my world, telling someone to have some backbone and suck it up is not considered vulgar.
Using the phrase as the op did most definitely is considered vulgar.

I am not one to cringe from h*ll and d*mn (I use these words although I try not to in public), but s*cks sounds really coarse to me.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:44 pm
"Suck it up" is not equal to "sucks" which is, indeed, a vulgar term as it is used today.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
"Suck it up" is not equal to "sucks" which is, indeed, a vulgar term as it is used today.

I can only imagine where it comes from.... TMI

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:46 pm
It refers to a s*xual act.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

That's the origin but it's become standard vernacular, commonly used, even by kids, and I don't think anyone thinks of it in that way anymore.

mig100

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is not a discussion about following restrictions. We should.
However, it really irritated me when people minimize other's pain.
My son had a Corona bar mitzvah in June. He spent 6 months practicing his parsha only to lain in front of 9 other men. He dreamed of a 90 person dinner, dancing, singing. He got a dinner in our living room with his class calling in.
He understood. He was a good sport.
But let him kvetchy. Don't tell him that his parents saved money. Don't tell him that bar mitzvas are stupid to spend money on.
Tell him Corona sucks.
My cousin who got married, my child who missed out on graduation and graduation trip, my neighbor who had her seminary year cut short.
My kids haven't seen their grandparents since Chanukah. They don't want to hear all the positives. How you can do everything like before with masks and social distancing.
They want to hear that Corona sucks. That it still sucks. That every bar mitzvah boy, chassan, kalla, graduate, everyone lost out.
And it's rough.
Why are we so afraid of doing that? Why the need for positive spin?

Op I hear u.

I feel terrible for ur son.

It gets me so upset when people idealize the outdoor covid weddings.

Its not ideal. At all

I stopped posting on those threada. It got me too upset

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:03 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

It can, but it doesn't always. Historically, it is related to phrases such as "sucks hind teat", "sucker" (meaning fool, possibly derived from name of easy to catch fish). The vulgar meaning may have influenced this usage, but the word "suck" has always been used in a non-s-xual way to say something out someone is bad.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:13 am
It can, but it doesn't always. Historically, it is related to phrases such as "sucks hind teat", "sucker" (meaning fool, possibly derived from name of easy to catch fish). The vulgar meaning may have influenced this usage, but the word "suck" has always been used in a non-s-xual way to say something out someone is bad.

Slang evolves. Currently, the usage is based on a vulgar euphemism.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:18 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
That's the origin but it's become standard vernacular, commonly used, even by kids, and I don't think anyone thinks of it in that way anymore.

Sure, just like people don't think twice about the meaning of cr*p, and other words I see being commonly used on this forum that I would guess people are ignorant of their meaning, perhaps due to insularity.
Doesn't mean it isn't vulgar and I'd be pretty turned off by hearing a refined, religious person use it IRL. Just imagine your rabbi or child's morah using the term. I don't think you'd be pleased.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:40 am
What word would you suggest to replace it? There is no equivalent.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Slang evolves. Currently, the usage is based on a vulgar euphemism.

It's evolved to the point where it stands alone.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Corona does suck.
Wallowing in the misery of it sucks more.
That's all.
Best to focus on the positive and whatever we can be grateful for.
It makes for a far more pleasant life.
And I say this as someone with PTSD who has been very triggered by all the masks and SD and everything else that has come with it. This is not easy for me. I am suffering badly emotionally. Still I wake up every day and TRY my hardest to see the good and say THANK YOU HASHEM!

You're both right!
I think we need to validate the genuine morning and pain, not sublimate it. Recognizing that we don't wallow in pain. We face and acknowledge it, then ask ourselves, so where do we go from here?
And then, even when we pick ourselves up, we can be compassionate and empathic for others.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Sure, just like people don't think twice about the meaning of cr*p, and other words I see being commonly used on this forum that I would guess people are ignorant of their meaning, perhaps due to insularity.
Doesn't mean it isn't vulgar and I'd be pretty turned off by hearing a refined, religious person use it IRL. Just imagine your rabbi or child's morah using the term. I don't think you'd be pleased.

I agree I wouldn't like to hear a rabbi or morah using cr*p. But I still feel that a reference to excrement which is not the standard vulgar term is better than a vulgar reference to a s*xual act.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics