Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does this sound like my boss wants me to quit?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:19 am
I work from home for a lawyer.
I set appointments for him and answer calls. If a client needs a document he has to send it as I dont have accesses at home only when I am in the office. I will email him and ask him to send it.

So problem I am having is that the phone I use that he got for me is not working very well. I have spoken to him months ago and he said he is looking into getting me a new phone. It has been at least 6 months and he never does it. He claims that he needs his tax ID but cant find it and for some reason he doesnt want to call to get it.
Also he will not send out the documents that clients request when I email him. It could take weeks to get him to do it.
Clients call me and start yelling at me about it.
He knows it is him that is the problem. He brings his family baggage into the office.
There are times he will ignore my emails.

So I really dont want to quit because I enjoy the job even when I get yelled at. I work from home most of the time and I even took a vacation with my family and got paid because I was able to work also. (my boss didnt even know I was away)

But does it sound like deep down he wants to fire me but has a good heart deep down and cant do it and hopes I quit instead?

abound

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:25 am
he sounds inefficient.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:29 am
Don't quit, if he wants to let you go, let him make that decision.

happy chick

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:44 am
Sounds like he's a bit tzufloigen. If he wants you to quit, let him say so. But doesn't sound like he's organized enough to find his pad of pink slips, so you're prob good.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:47 am
No
If he wasn’t happy with your job performance, what would prevent him from firing you?

1. Is there any way you can place the order for the phone, and ask the boss if you can charge it to his credit card?

2. The documents - can you arrange a set time to drop into the office every day to pick up these documents, or is the office too far away from where you live?
Can the boss possibly scan it and email them to you, and you will forward them to the client?

Success10

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:51 am
Honestly, it sounds like he'd be horrified if you said you wanted to quit. He seems disorganized and he relies heavily on you. If you'd like to continue working for him, then accept him for who he is and know in advance that people are going to yell at you. And when they yell, don't take it to heart. You didn't do anything wrong.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:55 am
OP -let me tell you something. I work for a lawyer similar to your boss. Over the years I've observed him and other lawyer quite up close. I will not say all, but I will say, and this is coming from someone with years of experience in this field, that many many lawyers are jerks. Plain and simple. Some are mentchlich and act and treat others with respect. Others are out of control, out of line, jerks. His not responding to you is him being a jerk, him not taking care of work he needs to do is again him being a jerk. If you like your job then great, but just realize you are working for a jerk.

Success10

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
OP -let me tell you something. I work for a lawyer similar to your boss. Over the years I've observed him and other lawyer quite up close. I will not say all, but I will say, and this is coming from someone with years of experience in this field, that many many lawyers are jerks. Plain and simple. Some are mentchlich and act and treat others with respect. Others are out of control, out of line, jerks. His not responding to you is him being a jerk, him not taking care of work he needs to do is again him being a jerk. If you like your job then great, but just realize you are working for a jerk.

I work for one particular person who struggles with organization and he sometimes ignores my emails. I think when lots of work comes in, he gets overwhelmed and things fall between the cracks. I used to take it to heart, but I realized he just can't deal with so many emails coming in. Along the same line of ADD-like behavior, if OP's boss feels overwhelmed, he might just shut down and not do anything, like order a phone she needs. I don't think it means he's a jerk.

I'm sorry for your experiences working for such a person, though.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:03 pm
He sounds disorganized. And therefore he really needs an organized person like you to take care of all the stuff that would never get done if he had to do it himself.

Regarding the phone... have him give you his credit card info so you can take care of it yourself.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:18 pm
Thanks

I cant order a phone because its a business account and he doesnt have his tax id number.

I have asked him to send me documents and then I forward it to clients but not always does he send it to me.

Yes he tells me all the time that its him that has the problem not me. The reason why I am questioning if he wants me to stay is because of a conversation I had with my friend.
She is a client of his (she got me the job actually) and he told her that he doesnt want me staying because he doesnt want to pay me but I dont really know if he actually said it because this friend sometimes will make stuff up.

He kind of is a jerk....but a nice one.

I would love to come into the office on a regular basis to send e mails and to bill clients (he wont even send an invoice or follow up. Several clients owe money and he wont do anything about it. He even has their cc number but wont run it. And then he cries that he has no money. He did blame me for loosing 3000 dollars because of his stupidity but blamed me.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks

I cant order a phone because its a business account and he doesnt have his tax id number.

I have asked him to send me documents and then I forward it to clients but not always does he send it to me.

Yes he tells me all the time that its him that has the problem not me. The reason why I am questioning if he wants me to stay is because of a conversation I had with my friend.
She is a client of his (she got me the job actually) and he told her that he doesnt want me staying because he doesnt want to pay me but I dont really know if he actually said it because this friend sometimes will make stuff up.

He kind of is a jerk....but a nice one.

I would love to come into the office on a regular basis to send e mails and to bill clients (he wont even send an invoice or follow up. Several clients owe money and he wont do anything about it. He even has their cc number but wont run it. And then he cries that he has no money. He did blame me for loosing 3000 dollars because of his stupidity but blamed me.

He's a jerk op.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 1:12 pm
He won’t let you come in to the office?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
He won’t let you come in to the office?

He doesnt want me coming in because then he would have to pay me more than he does when I work from home.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 1:31 pm
Why won't he let u in the office?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 1:34 pm
sounds...messy
and you have a friend who sometimes tells you made up stuff? lies?

honestly Op maybe you want to look into therapy to set better boundaries and seek better company.

if you are happy with your job just keep it and don't chat with your friend who you say lies

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:27 pm
Why does he need his tax id to order a phone? He should call whichever cell company he has an account with, give his account number and order a new phone. Simple as that.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:36 pm
I have the same problem with my boss.
I used to take it personally, bit have since decided if he can’t get his act together, he will be losing business, not me.
I only reach out to him for the most important things, and when he needs me to do “emergency” things for him that Could have been done earlier but he didn’t bother, I say I am not available.
By setting boundaries he has started being more on top of his own responsibilities.
We also use Asana now which has been amazing in organizing the business and showing who’s responsibilities are being neglected.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 5:04 pm
I worked for someone like this many years ago. He wanted to be successful but didn't want to work hard. His family life was what he busied himself with (to the degree that I had to put up boundaries about which personal items I would not get involved in - and that sounds similar to what you wrote about your boss's personal life).
He hired a secretary expecting the big bucks to come in from someone running the office for him. But he was the one with the certified degree, the face behind his service business, and the reality was that business could only go so far without him and then would fizzle out when he didn't work the deals.
It was super frustrating to deal with. I stuck it out for a number of years because it was local with part time hours and I was happy to get back home and spend time with my little ones. I stayed until it didn't work for me anymore and then I moved on to a place with growth.
Your boss is a schlep. He's not looking to fire you. If it's working for you, continue.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 5:19 pm
Your boss doesn't sound like a jerk so much as guy who is less dependable than he could be--or, to put a better spin on things, a guy who prioritizes urgent matters and lets less urgent matters ferment. Although blaming you for losing money that was lost due to his negligence is pretty jerky. As long as he just rants and doesn't actually penalize you, you can decide whether or not the job's perks are worth putting up with that sort of thing

But all of this is neither here nor there. Your boss can't MAKE you quit. unless you were miserable, why would you quit just because he wants you to? let him fire you and you can collect unemployment. Furthermore, you yourself said that your so-called friend makes things up. Why would you quit a job that you enjoy and that has perks like being able to be done while on vacation, based on hearsay from someone who, let's be kind here, "has a vivid imagination"?

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also he will not send out the documents that clients request when I email him. It could take weeks to get him to do it.
Clients call me and start yelling at me about it.
He knows it is him that is the problem. He brings his family baggage into the office.

This type of behavior harms his relationship with his clients and shows that this is not directed against you at all.

But the fact that he doesn't want to pay you to come to the office so you can actually do your job properly sounds to me like he has a poor head for business. He's taking on a large chunk of your workload (sending documents), even though he has no bandwidth for this and his time is "worth" more than yours. As a result, he's always stressed and doesn’t get his work done. Penny-pinching and pound foolish.

He may want to fire you altogether, but that would be even stupider than what he's doing now.

If you think it would help, have a conversation with him explaining why you need to physically come to the office to do your job effectively, and that he will benefit from such an arrangement.

Unless you don't really want to come to the office, in which case do nothing (and maybe look for another job you can do from home).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics