Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Calling Speech Therapists!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:53 pm
Just came back from PTA, and.... you guessed it, dd is having a hard time. Specifically in Chumash.

I think it has to do with her hearing the sounds and not being able to process, and dh and I discussed it now and we think that we both had the same thing. We don't hear words clearly and then we can't remember what was said.

Is this something for a speech therapist? (Assuming her hearing is normal). Can a speech therapist help her process sounds, and remember to repeat it correctly? Would it help her be able to memorize chumash words more easily?

TIA!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 10:55 pm
Yes we work on auditory processing.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:44 pm
Yes a speech therapist can definitely work on breaking down words into sounds, syllables, and prefixes/suffixes so that the words have meaning

If it were my student I would probably find out what they are learning in class and work on teaching her the new words in the pasuk before class so it will be easier for her to process the lessons in class

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:02 pm
Please get a hearing test to rule anything out. Then find a speech therapist who is good with this, not all are.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 8:33 pm
SLP here.

Please get her hearing tested asap. Then you can post back and we can give you some tips for help and carry over at home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics