Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ISO Excellent OT in Monsey - Sensory

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:07 pm
Hi,
Desperate for a skilled OT for my pre school daughter, one that is experienced in working with a child whose lack of sensory regulation can lead very often to aggression and defiance. She can appear uncoordinated at times as well and can use help balancing, maybe spatial awareness, I’m not sure.

I am resigned to paying out of pocket since I don’t think I can get Fidelis to cover? Main thing is to find the best messenger to help my child.

We are also working hard on a behavioral front to help her in that aspect as well. I do believe the need for OT is a big piece of the puzzle of my daughter that l love so much...

TIA for anyone who takes time to answer this/refer someone

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:22 pm
I'm looking out for the same therapist, though for a 9 year old boy, similar issue.
If I know of anything, we can be in touch. (While we're both anonymous). Lol
Maybe a good idea to try reflex integration therapy or cranial sacral therapy, those can also be very affective.
Hatzlacha

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:26 pm
Im looking for a speach therapist in Monsey, private pay, that specializes in articulation issues.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:31 pm
Ricki dembitzer, OT, was a miracle for my dd, back when she was in preschool.

Dd had significant sensory, motor, and social issues.

Bh, bh... my daughter has made so much progress, I don't think her preschool teachers would believe it's the same kid.

I attribute much of her growth to the intensive OT and PT she did when she was 5, 6, years old.
Also, as she matured, she outgrew some of it, and learned to compensate for some of it.

Ricky is he ultimate professional, extremely dedicated, works very well with kids.

She is very expensive though...

Last edited by Cheshire cat on Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

overworked

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 9:31 pm
im currently using on the ball ot by elisheva Jacobson she has a crew of therapist under her she has offices in new square Monroe & Pomona she takes fidelis & opwdd elisheva was my daughter therapist from birth

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:32 am
Cheshire cat wrote:

Bh, bh... my daughter has made so much progress, I don't think her preschool teachers would believe it's the same kid.

I attribute much of her growth to the intensive OT and PT she did when she was 5, 6, years old.
Also, as she matured, she outgrew some of it, and learned to compensate for some of it.

Ricky is he ultimate professional, extremely dedicated, works very well with kids.

Thank you,

Did she come to your house?

Do you have her contact info?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 6:33 am
overworked wrote:
im currently using on the ball ot by elisheva Jacobson she has a crew of therapist under her she has offices in new square Monroe & Pomona she takes fidelis & opwdd elisheva was my daughter therapist from birth

I have heard about her, and it would be a big help if she takes fidelis.

How is her crew?

Are they well-trained?

overworked

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:54 am
the therapist that I have is excellent don't know about others there elisheva told me she has a great professional staff

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you,

Did she come to your house?

Do you have her contact info?

She does not do house calls. She has set up her basement into an extensive sensory gym, and she does the therapy only there.

Phone: (845) 354-5612

I recommend her highly. She addressed my daughters sensory issues, but also worked with us to help resolve her other issues. At that time, my daughter was clumsy, absent minded, defiant and difficult.

She really set my daughter up for sucess. I'm so grateful to her.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 3:12 pm
For person with 9 year old boy I would recommend lieby Lewis at achieve

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 11:34 am
Achieve has male and female therapists as does Monsey Medical Center (their OT department is under a different name). Kids First also does this type of OT. All of these places definitely take Fidelis based on the way you are describing your daughter.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 2:24 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:

How much does she charge? 🙈🙈eval? Treat?

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 2:33 pm
She treated my daughter 6 years ago. I no longer remember. Besides, her rates may have changed over the years.

But I do remember the financial stress that we felt during that time. She is not cheap.

I think that fidelis does cover OT in some cases. Maybe call a therapist agency like Kids First to see if your daughter would qualify? Then you could have her evaluated by ricki, but take sevices from an agency that takes your insurance...

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 2:51 pm
Can anyone explain the benefits of going to someone and paying out of pocket vs getting services thru the school district (cpse/cse)?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 4:56 pm
It depends on the needs and age of the child. A child can only receive services through the district if the disability is school related. For a child out of CPSE/EI this is extremely challenging and almost impossible to qualify for unless the child has a diagnosis. CPSE is a little easier to qualify for than CSE. It also depends on the needs of your child. If your child has sensory challenges or gross motor deficits a gym may be more beneficial than a school which has limited equipment and space. I know that where I live and can be in other places as well, not all schools get services through the district (I think this is a preference of the school). In terms of paying private, I think that is going to be a preference thing. In the case mentioned above, it sounds like the child will almost def be covered by insurance assuming the evaluator knows how to write the evaluation up correctly. There are some people who feel that the therapists who only take private pay are better therapists and worth paying for. I happen to think that in a community like Monsey there are plenty of very good and competent therapists who will take insurance if the child needs therapy. Sometimes paying private is a last resort when other therapy isn't being effective.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)