Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kale

blessedflower

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 1:51 pm
I'm looking to buy kale. It can be frozen. Preferable the curly one. Any idea where I can buy it in beit shemesh or Jerusalem?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:20 pm
In Jerusalem, machane yehuda - some stalls sometimes have it.
In Bet Shemesh - Shufersal, Rami Levi, Best Market - I have seen it in all of these stores but not on a regular basis.
Oh, also the vegetable store in the mercaz in Alef, next to Cofix.
It's hit or miss. I just buy it when I see it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 2:24 pm
When you find it, buy a LOT of it.

Check it, and then blanch it in hot water. Strain and then dump it all into ice water. When it's cool, freeze it in batches. Then you'll always have some ready on hand. Doing one big batch that may take an hour or two is easier than having to do it every time you need kale.

blessedflower

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 3:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
When you find it, buy a LOT of it.

Check it, and then blanch it in hot water. Strain and then dump it all into ice water. When it's cool, freeze it in batches. Then you'll always have some ready on hand. Doing one big batch that may take an hour or two is easier than having to do it every time you need kale.
I was planning to do that. I'm really in the mood in some dish my mom used to make in the winter. Do you know when it's in season, what time of the year the shops will have it? I'm Antwerp I was able to find it only in the winter

Teomima

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:57 pm
I've never seen frozen kale here. But now you can often find it in the supermarket, usually packaged in a clear box by the packages lettuces. It's become a year round staple. I get it at least once a month through my CSA box and see it at farmers markets (in Jerusalem there's one at Ramat Rachel on Thursdays and one at Beit Yehudit on Fridays).

blessedflower

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 6:01 am
Anyone know if the flat type and the curly type are the same in taste and texture? Is there a difference other than how it looks?

Last edited by blessedflower on Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total

Makehumusnotwar

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 7:08 am
Teomima wrote:
I've never seen frozen kale here. But now you can often find it in the supermarket, usually packaged in a clear box by the packages lettuces. It's become a year round staple. I get it at least once a month through my CSA box and see it at farmers markets (in Jerusalem there's one at Ramat Rachel on Thursdays and one at Beit Yehudit on Fridays).

What is a CSA box?

grivky

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 7:35 am
You may be able to order bug free kale here if there’s a pickup location near you. https://israfresh.com/#/en/store/2 Kashrus of each product is different. I’m not sure who certifies the kale specifically.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 7:55 am
Makehumusnotwar wrote:
What is a CSA box?

Community Supported Agriculture. There are farms that sell produce directly to the consumer instead of going through a store/market. I get a box of produce delivered to my door every week. The contents differ week to week based on what's in season, but there's always) almost always certain basics like potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots. These days the cruciferous vegetables are hitting their stride. There's often kale.

blessedflower

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:18 am
blessedflower wrote:
Anyone know if the flat type and the curly type are the same in taste and texture? Is there a difference other than how it looks?
I found the flat one today in the grocery. I bought it but I'm curious about the difference. Until now I only used the curly one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions