Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Why does my challah dip in the middle wall rising

snowflake1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 6:34 pm
Hi, wondering if anyone could help me while I look at my two sad loaves.
Sometimes, while rising some of the loaves dip in the middle while rising it doesn’t happen to all of them and it doesn’t happen all the time I bake every other week wondering if anyone has an explanation for me Crying

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 6:48 pm
Try not to open the oven door mid-baking. Also, it can possibly a malfunction of your oven.

snowflake1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:25 pm
It happens before I put them in the oven while they are rising

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:32 pm
Oh. I let them rise in the oven at 170° in my experience it gets a better & quicker rise you can try this.
Do you leave it to rise in a cold place bc that can interfere with rising

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:32 pm
I mean cold is in below room temp.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:56 pm
Your pans are too small!

They’re pushing back on the dough !

challahchallah

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:02 pm
It could be over-risen. Are you letting it rise too long and/or adding too much yeast? Are you kneading it enough so that the gluten network is nice and sturdy?

snowflake1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:31 pm
It could be it’s over risen. just weird that it only happens to some of them and not the others
I have always been looking for them to be very light and fluffy
It takes them a really long time to rise about two hours
have tried letting them rise in a preheated oven to 170° and I find that it changes the texture inside it is more solid as opposed to more stringy which is the way we like it

challahchallah

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:49 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
It could be it’s over risen. just weird that it only happens to some of them and not the others
I have always been looking for them to be very light and fluffy
It takes them a really long time to rise about two hours
have tried letting them rise in a preheated oven to 170° and I find that it changes the texture inside it is more solid as opposed to more stringy which is the way we like it

The happening to some and not others could be depending on positioning if some are in warmer spots etc. It could also be that as you shape them some get handled more and so they’ve deflated more and have more rise left in them. You need to monitor each loaf. If you want a more consistent rise, you could do a long rise for all of them in the fridge (but of course that is contingent on having enough fridge space for all of them...)

CrazyDaisie

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:46 pm
Maybe it depends on the shape of the strands? If the strands are thick in the middle and thinner at the ends, the challah too will be thick in the middle....

When I make strands, I press down at the ends and roll, so that the middle will be thicker.

sub

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:54 pm
Try this
Cut of the ends, roll them into a small ball and put in center of pan. Then gently put the challah in the pan.
Can’t remember who taught me thus. But I remember that it was s/o who had experience with challa baking.

silverlining3

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:25 pm
Do you use dry yeast? Maybe it's not enough activated before you pour it into the bowl.
Maybe out gotta let it mix longer.
I'm not an expert. Though I never experienced what u have, I'm just thinking about the mistakes I have done in the past.

I let my dough rise 1 hr and 45 minutes. Comes out delicious fluffy.

snowflake1

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:04 pm
I want to thank the posters they gave me the tips to let it rise in a preheated oven to 170°. They look beautiful and it was perfect.
Thank you for also the poster who said that it was probably because some of it was getting too heated.
I was originally letting it rise over the oven that was on and I think that part of the oven was getting too hot so thank you everybody have a wonderful Shabbos

challahchallah

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:40 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
I want to thank the posters they gave me the tips to let it rise in a preheated oven to 170°. They look beautiful and it was perfect.
Thank you for also the poster who said that it was probably because some of it was getting too heated.
I was originally letting it rise over the oven that was on and I think that part of the oven was getting too hot so thank you everybody have a wonderful Shabbos

Yay! I’m glad it worked out. Thank you for updating us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads