Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Vegetarians: what do you make for Shabbat?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:32 am
What do you make to make Shabbat special?

(If you cook meat for DH, then answer as if theoretically he were away and you were only cooking for vegetarians).

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:37 am
Ds is vegetarian. I make him crispy cubed tofu (and he pours on different sauces), vegetarian chulent and then regular sides and veggies.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:39 am
A few types of fish, dips, salads. And then we finish with soup.
Fish, dips, eggs, salads, vegetarian cholent for day meal.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:44 am
I’m not vegetarian but I often make a pareve day meal. I make dhals (Indian lentil or chickpea based stews), Asian noodle salads (there are a lot of recipes out there - soba, udon etc), different raw vegetable salads, and cooked veg/legume sides like roasted fennel and tomatoes with chickpeas and a punchy dressing. You can also make quiches and tarts though I don’t really.

Debbie

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 7:51 am
My daughter is vegan and she makes an amazing chulent with vegan sausages, beans and dumplings,and plenty of herbs; the rest of her menu varies from week to week but another regular item is chickpea 'tuna' which is basically chickpeas blended with seasonings, it looks a bit like tuna; not sure what it tastes like because I don't like chickpeas!
Some weeks I would make a shepherd's pie with vegan mince, and I often make a vegetable soup.
Just to add that vegetarians do not eat fish, if a person doesn't eat meat but does eat fish they are not vegetarian, they are pescetarian.

Last edited by Debbie on Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:06 am
Vegans and vegetarians here.
Spicy lentils (black or brown), stuffed peppers (with rice or quinoa in tomato sauce), stir fry tofu, potato dish, veggie soup, buckwheat ....that's for this shabbat.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:35 am
We are not vegetarian, but I always have vegan options
Different salads and dips, veggies kugels, parve cholent (I only make it parve if I know someone is coming that’s vegetarian, eggs, fish

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I’m not vegetarian but I often make a pareve day meal. I make dhals (Indian lentil or chickpea based stews), Asian noodle salads (there are a lot of recipes out there - soba, udon etc), different raw vegetable salads, and cooked veg/legume sides like roasted fennel and tomatoes with chickpeas and a punchy dressing. You can also make quiches and tarts though I don’t really.

How do you heat the dhal for lunch? We eat a lot of Indian during the week, but can't imagine leaving it on the plata all night.

Teomima

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:59 am
Vegetarian here. I make lots of regular Shabbat dishes, like soup, kugel, salads, etc. I don't focus on the idea of a specific main protein, rather multiple non-meat dishes. Friday night we love vegetable stir fries over rice or noodles, vegetable soup, vegetarian kubbe soup, couscous with soupy veggies, salads. Lunch we'll often have kugel, vegetarian chollent, maybe baked potatoes, polenta, vegetarian sushi, roasted veggies, salads, stuffed grape leaves or other stuffed veggies.

Just to add, to me what makes Shabbat special isn't necessarily specific dishes. It's the ambiance, the kedusha, the calm and quiet, and the whole family being together.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:10 am
Dh is a vegetarian, we make: vegetarian tcholent, kugel, lentil curry, quinoa salad, pasta, sambusak, spinach cheese pie, quiche, vegetarian kibbe, lentil mock "meat" patties, chickpeas, there are so many different dishes you can make!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
How do you heat the dhal for lunch? We eat a lot of Indian during the week, but can't imagine leaving it on the plata all night.

I cook it in a pot on Friday and transfer it to a crockpot before Shabbos. I don’t let it cook for very long before Shabbos - it’s just barely cooked through. I leave it on keep warm all Shabbos- you need to fiddle around it with to see how cooked you need it to be beforehand and the temp of your crockpot. I think if you soak your legumes in advance you might even be able to leave it on pretty raw before Shabbos, but you’d have to try and see.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I cook it in a pot on Friday and transfer it to a crockpot before Shabbos. I don’t let it cook for very long before Shabbos - it’s just barely cooked through. I leave it on keep warm all Shabbos- you need to fiddle around it with to see how cooked you need it to be beforehand and the temp of your crockpot. I think if you soak your legumes in advance you might even be able to leave it on pretty raw before Shabbos, but you’d have to try and see.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try it one week. Our chulent has lentils in and they do pretty well.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 10:02 am
Teomima wrote:
Vegetarian here. I make lots of regular Shabbat dishes, like soup, kugel, salads, etc. I don't focus on the idea of a specific main protein, rather multiple non-meat dishes. Friday night we love vegetable stir fries over rice or noodles, vegetable soup, vegetarian kubbe soup, couscous with soupy veggies, salads. Lunch we'll often have kugel, vegetarian chollent, maybe baked potatoes, polenta, vegetarian sushi, roasted veggies, salads, stuffed grape leaves or other stuffed veggies.

Just to add, to me what makes Shabbat special isn't necessarily specific dishes. It's the ambiance, the kedusha, the calm and quiet, and the whole family being together.

I am the opposite of vegetarian and agree that the ambiance, the kedusha, the calm and the board games make Shabbat special. Not the meat we eat every day.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 10:08 am
The entire meal is pretty much the same either way. The only thing you need a substitute is the chicken. Try veggie burger or quinoa burger with aa nicecsauce

MiriFr

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 11:10 am
Impossible beef is A++. I also make jackfruit pulled beef flatbread. For cholent, sauté onions for the fat, and use more barley than beans. Add a sweet potato.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 11:23 am
I am a vegetarian and DH doesn't cook much so ends up eating vegetarian too. LOL

Shabbat favorites are vegetable pot pies, lasagna, stuffed vegetables, enchiladas, thai or indian curry..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note