Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Career/life options for learning disabled young adult

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:20 am
I have a close relative (not my own child) in his early 20s whose having a hard time deciding on a path in life. He's not stupid, but has always had difficulties in academics from a young age. His parents got him tutors, special resource programs etc. But he's just still not really good at math, english science etc.

Right now he's working part time for a business basically doing secretarial work like imputing information into the computer etc.
He doesn't really enjoy it though, and spends a lot of time with video games, watching stuff on the internet etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or career options for this type of kid.
Thanks

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 8:21 am
If he likes video games maybe he can become a video game tester

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:14 am
Yeah, we though of that. I think that field is more than flooded...

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:15 am
Does he like physical things? Maybe he can be a personal trainer.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:32 am
Karate instructor
Personal trainer
Swimming instructor
Tour guide
Store manager
Handyman
Painter
Plumber
Ac/Hvac

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:42 am
honey36 wrote:
Yeah, we though of that. I think that field is more than flooded...

A lot of fields are flooded and yet if you don't apply you'll never know....

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:44 am
They should contact their local unemployment office. There are counselors there who can help decide which fields would be appropriate, and often they can help with getting vocational training and placement.

My dad is severely dyslexic, but he built a very good career with his own gardening business. He loves the outdoors, and is happy to be outside rain or shine.

He eventually built up to having several employees, his own trucks and equipment, and large corporate clients as well as residential clients.

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 9:57 am
Thanks for all the great ideas. We thought of personal trainer but thought the to get certified he would need to learn a lot of anatomy etc. And would be really hard. Maybe I'm wrong and we should encourage him to try it?

He tried working for a contractor and electrician for a few days, and felt that construction and those types of jobs were too rough for him. People swearing and screaming at him all day. Could be not all construction/plumbing/hvac work is like this, but I think that's the norm.

Painter sounds good. Maybe I'll mention it. Although I feel like he'll say it will be too boring for him.

He's just very hesitant to try anything because he feels he's not good at anything and everything he's tried so far has failed (like the construction thing). He also tried getting into some sort of a IT or online marketing program, but he couldn't pass the basic math test (not intense math, like 8th grade level)

His parents are having a hard time keeping up his self esteem, but gently encouraging to try new things/ career programs. Anyone have general advice for how to achieve a good balance for this type of situation? Like should they pressure him to just try painter/personal trainer (for example, but rlly anything) or should they just leave him to make his own decisions, in which case he may just never move forward from where he is.

Makehumusnotwar

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:01 am
Perhaps see if he has a basic aptitude for coding (really anybody can code, doesn't necessarily need high level math).

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:03 am
singleagain wrote:
A lot of fields are flooded and yet if you don't apply you'll never know....

We spoke to someone who has his own large gaming company, and besides for it being flooded, it's just not a good job. Pay is very low, most people do it as a hobby, not a real career. If you want to make any money you need to be very competitive etc.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:06 am
There are various employment agencies which will help him figure out what career is good for you know is good.

I worked with a career counselor for several years before I found the job I have now.

I did a program in Jersey that was actually state-funded so was absolutely no cost to me if that's an issue.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:19 am
Would he work for Amazon or Target?

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:39 am
He's spoken to career counselors / employment agencies etc. And they weren't very helpful. I don't remember what jobs they recommended for him, but I think it was very off base. But it is a good idea. Maybe he just needs a different person to talk to/better agency. I'm going to ask what went wrong last time because I forget the details.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 10 2020, 10:59 am
Did he go to college? A lot of kids need to explore different subjects post high school to see what they're interested in. Community college courses could be helpful for him.

Does he have good managerial skills, good people skills etc Maybe a job in human resources. At a video game company Wink

I have a teenage son who struggles academically and has some developmental challenges, so I get it. I worry, too. But what I have seen is that when he is motivated and interested in something, he performs so much better.

singleagain

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 8:39 am
Years ago. I went to a program called bridgeway rehab to get help finding a job. they were very good ... Even though I went through 3 counselors. It just took that long but they didn't give up. I met with my counselor every week. And we went through job boards and practiced calling people. Eventually I found something and even became a success story.

It is location specific, like I had to live in the country, but here's a link and maybe they have a center near you.

https://www.bridgewayrehab.org......html

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:34 am
I have a sibling like your relative, op and we are also trying to figure out some sort of career that would be good for him. I really think that the only thing that could work would be for someone very nice to take him under their wing and train him in.

honey36

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 9:39 am
singleagain wrote:
Years ago. I went to a program called bridgeway rehab to get help finding a job. they were very good ... Even though I went through 3 counselors. It just took that long but they didn't give up. I met with my counselor every week. And we went through job boards and practiced calling people. Eventually I found something and even became a success story.

It is location specific, like I had to live in the country, but here's a link and maybe they have a center near you.

https://www.bridgewayrehab.org......html

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah, we don't live in the u.s., but that sounds like a great lead otherwise...will try and see if there is anything similar where we live.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 10:04 am
My ASD son has a certificate in AutoCAD and is trying to increase his skills and look for work now. In the mean time, he builds his portfolio.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 10:28 am
Working mashgiach. I know several guys like this who are fairly happy as a working mashgiach.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 12:14 pm
stock boy/cashier
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children