Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What to tell the grandchildren?
Previous  1  2  3

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:10 pm
While dollar stores are not too exciting at some times of the year, there is considerably more to pick from at X-mas season. I agree that older kids are not too impressed, especially if they have a bigger gift in mind. In today's digitalized world, puzzles and games are not too exciting.
I did see where the game 'Set' is on sale at Toys 4 u for $8.99 so instead of a bunch of dollar store trinkets maybe get a cheap game for the entire family.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Kids should not ask grandparents for gifts. They should not expect anything. Whatever they do get should be an unexpected bonus. Do you make a party?

Yeah, my kids are pretty spoiled and my big one - the most spoiled tries not to take anything from my parents usually and my little ones are excited with stickers. When they get older, I will explain to them about not expecting too much from them because they are not in the best financial position, although iyH it should improve for everyone. It's not dire for them, but it's not amazing for a variety of reasons.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:21 pm
Can you send a chanukah treat to them? Or do a zoom chanukah donut/latke making together with them?
My grandfather gave us a coin every year. I still have every single one.

It's to late for Ali for this year but I bought a necklace and bracelet with my daughter's name on them for under $4 there and they are really nice!
I alps ordered cool. Looking (kid) watches for $2-$3 and I am. Sure they have other more mature styles.
Also lots of 'in style' hair accessories and hats for so cheap.

There are lots of interesting stuff you Can mail but may be expensive in postage. I mail. Out balls all the time and ppl love them. Look them up you may get a nice idea.

Can you find a game on sale and buy one per family?

You can do a homeade scavenger hunt and have them send the pics if stuff. It can be fun!

You can give each of them someone else to buy one gift from The dollar store for. Then they need to present it somehow. It becomes a trip as well as really fun!

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 10:55 pm
Gor boys in the dollar store, you can get pkg of rubberbands to start rubber band balls with. My boys love making those. For girls, you can look at the accessories for their rooms or hair.

We love the dollar store.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Can you send a chanukah treat to them? Or do a zoom chanukah donut/latke making together with them?
My grandfather gave us a coin every year. I still have every single one.

It's to late for Ali for this year but I bought a necklace and bracelet with my daughter's name on them for under $4 there and they are really nice!
I alps ordered cool. Looking (kid) watches for $2-$3 and I am. Sure they have other more mature styles.
Also lots of 'in style' hair accessories and hats for so cheap.

There are lots of interesting stuff you Can mail but may be expensive in postage. I mail. Out balls all the time and ppl love them. Look them up you may get a nice idea.

Can you find a game on sale and buy one per family?

You can do a homeade scavenger hunt and have them send the pics if stuff. It can be fun!

You can give each of them someone else to buy one gift from The dollar store for. Then they need to present it somehow. It becomes a trip as well as really fun!

This. There are a lot of games on sale now. I got my kids a family game for $10 and will play it as a family on chanuka. Done Mad

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 11:11 pm
My mil gave out gift certificates to the ice cream store! Which child doesn’t want a free ice cream from Bubby? She gave one gift card per family. It was in an envelope with each family’s name on it. She also included a fake $1,000,000 bill with a cute note attached how we are worth a million dollars etc and of course there was Chanuka gelt chocolate too.
Kids don’t have the luxury to just ask for anything their hearts desire. They are truly happy with small gifts too that come from a place of love.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 11:48 pm
I think target has a tween section in addition to their dollar area. But I think items are about $5 or more.
Very girly tween stuff. (I don’t know - haven’t been to target since pre Covid)
Maybe other people know?

persephonefalls

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 1:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First I want to say a big thank you to mommy3b2c. You have such a big heart and so so generous.
You should be bentched to be able to continue to do so much chesed that you do and inspire others to do the same.
But thank you but I dont feel comfortable taking.

Most of my grandchildren dont live local so its hard to do something with them.
They might come for shabbos so maybe we will have time to bake cookies toghther.
My kids didnt know that their kids asked for gifts if they would know they would of said something to them and I am not saying a word about it.

The dollar store is good for the little ones but not much for the older ones.

I daven that every year I would be in a better financial place than the previous year...Im still davening.

I may be coming to this thread late, but I just wanted to say: even if you live far away, the one gift covid has given us is the normalization of zoom activities. My parents can afford to give my children gifts, and they do, but recently my father has started learning mishnayos with my daughter weekly over zoom, and honestly that makes her happier than any gift item that my parents ever gave her.

If you can't afford to give gifts, maybe set up monthly zoom activities with them? Getting a regular dose of special time with Savta/Bubbie is more valuable than a toy. You can play games with them over zoom (on the computer, or if you have the same board game, like Sorry, you can set up a board at your house and their house, and move pieces for each other as you play), or read bedtime stories to them, or share screen and do joined computer drawings together...There are so many creative options!

They may not appreciate it as much as a toy in the moment, but I promise you, long term, it will be the best gift you could possibly give them, and they'll appreciate it and remember it for a lot longer than whatever toy or item you might have gotten them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics