Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Did you travel by plane with a 2 year olds

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:25 pm
Since Covid?

I want to travel with DH and our toddler but I’m so worried about the whole mask situation.

We keep hearing insane stories how babies refused to wear masks and the family was locked off the flights.
I really can’t promise anything she’s a 2 year old baby.

How was your experience and which airline did you fly?

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:30 pm
I flew 3 times with 3.5 year old.

Overseas and United airlines.

Was never told a thing.

If it helps I gave him a paci and we wheeled him in a stroller so maybe they thought he was younger. But either way I could never get him in a mask for more then 5 minutes. And to force a child (really a baby) to wear one for 2-12 hours boarders on abuse IMO.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 9:53 pm
Unfortunately it's going to depend on the flight crew you end up with. I totally understand your hesitation.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:18 pm
I gave my kid an oversized lollipop.. The main is not to attract attention before take off.. So board the plane the latest possible and give your kid food.. Snacks and lollypops.. Itll keep them bz and gives them a green light to keep the masks off

Perrys

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:22 pm
Love this idea

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 10:30 pm
Flew twice with four year old.(and other kids) I brought gum and lollies and snacks. During takeoff made sure kids were eating. Also on the night flights it was dark so I put him by the window and nobody bothered us at all.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 11:33 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I flew 3 times with 3.5 year old.

Overseas and United airlines.

Was never told a thing.

If it helps I gave him a paci and we wheeled him in a stroller so maybe they thought he was younger. But either way I could never get him in a mask for more then 5 minutes. And to force a child (really a baby) to wear one for 2-12 hours boarders on abuse IMO.

Fwiw in my neighborhood children over 2 wear masks all the time. In the playground, at daycares/school/camp, in stores etc. I only mention it because it’s all what they get used to and all what’s modeled by their parents (obv parents in my community wear masks all the time too)

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:39 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Fwiw in my neighborhood children over 2 wear masks all the time. In the playground, at daycares/school/camp, in stores etc. I only mention it because it’s all what they get used to and all what’s modeled by their parents (obv parents in my community wear masks all the time too)

I disagree, my 2.5 year old begs to wear a mask everytime we leave the house. Even in situation were its not required but after a tiny bit he starts complaining that he's done. Just like when he's done eating and can't sit by the table anymore. I think its an emerging skill that 2-4 year olds need to adjust to. We try to encourage but don't want to make it into a a battle

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I disagree, my 2.5 year old begs to wear a mask everytime we leave the house. Even in situation were its not required but after a tiny bit he starts complaining that he's done. Just like when he's done eating and can't sit by the table anymore. I think its an emerging skill that 2-4 year olds need to adjust to. We try to encourage but don't want to make it into a a battle

Which part of my post did you disagree with?

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 1:10 am
Reconsider your plans. We live in crazy times!

https://nypost.com/2020/12/13/...../amp/

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 2:41 am
My 4 year old daughter wears her mask on every flight pretty nicely. (We flew 4 times since Covid, it's complicated but for us that's already cutting down our flying immensely. )
We once had our 4 year old cousin with us and we took him along thinking it won't be a problem- big mistake. Flight attendant kept reminding us to tell him to put his mask on, but he was uninterested, to say the least. He wore it by take off and once we were up they weren't going to land the plane because of it.

We also started driving our route rather than flying, it's annoying but less risk.
We also had my husband fly himself except when we felt we had to go as well.

So my advice- evaluate how important it is that your child fly at this time. If you decide to go- practice mask wearing in advance. Take him on car rides wearing his mask, walk around a zoo or museum, etc. Explain to him how important wearing his mask in the airport and on the plane is.
It's hard with a 2 year old. Good luck!

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:50 am
Totally depends on the flight attendants. We flew with my 3 year old and the steward was on top of us every time the mask slipped off his nose a bit. My brother flew the same exact flight the next day and didn't even bother putting a mask on his 3 year old.

Just be prepared that if you get a strict crew they absolutely will and have the legal right to remove you from the flight for a 2 year old not wearing a mask as crazy as that sounds!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:03 am
Like everyone is saying it depends on the flight attendants. I flew with my 2 yr old on Southwest and decided to try to see what would happen if I didn’t put a mask on her at all. Like basically I pretended she was under 2 and Bh it worked. No way she would’ve worn it the whole flight. At one point the flight attendant came over and was trying to making conversation with her and said “how old are you? Are you 1?” And we just kept quiet and Bh my DC didn’t know what the lady was talking about 😂

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:07 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Kol hakavod. If it makes you feel so great stuffing your child behind a useless face mask do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:30 am
Some kids, no matter how well behaved, are very sensory. Try getting a toddler to wear a shirt with a scratchy tag in the back!

Many years ago I flew halfway around with world with DD when she was 2, and she was probably the most well behaved person on the flight, adults included.

That said, I couldn't even put a barrette or pony in her hair. She would scream bloody murder until she could tear it out, and then she'd throw it across the room with all her might. My dreams of cute hairclips were not to be. Lady

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:43 am
SuperWify wrote:
Kol hakavod. If it makes you feel so great stuffing your child behind a useless face mask do it.

So rude.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Some kids, no matter how well behaved, are very sensory. Try getting a toddler to wear a shirt with a scratchy tag in the back!

Many years ago I flew halfway around with world with DD when she was 2, and she was probably the most well behaved person on the flight, adults included.

That said, I couldn't even put a barrette or pony in her hair. She would scream bloody murder until she could tear it out, and then she'd throw it across the room with all her might. My dreams of cute hairclips were not to be. Lady

Yes to this. I take my child each week for therapy and the facility follows extreme Covid guidelines. Calls before, screening again when you come in, ppe ect. And yet, being a children’s facility they understand that some kids are just kids. Especially the sensory kind of kids. They don’t force any child under 5 into a mask but you better believe that if a parent came in without a mask they would not be allowed to enter.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
So rude.

And telling me off for my apparent non-masking isn’t?

amother [ Peach ] wrote:

I won’t lie. I mask when I must. Because I am a law abiding citizen. Not because I think it will save my life and the lives of others.

But I digress. Back to op- you’ll have better luck on overseas flights. Good luck!

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:54 am
SuperWify wrote:
I won’t lie. I mask when I must. Because I am a law abiding citizen. Not because I think it will save my life and the lives of others.

But I digress. Back to op- you’ll have better luck on overseas flights. Good luck!

You started this exchange when you wrote that putting a mask on a two year old borders on abuse. Absolutely no one told you off for anything. No one commented on your own choices, only discussed what people in their circles have been doing. You are making rude comments other people's choices though. Talk about telling people off...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics