Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Setting up a kosher Airbnb

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 7:43 am
Looking for more work from home options and thinking about renting out the basement.

Has anyone tried it? Renovated bedroom and bathroom with a separate entrance

(I have the laundry room downstairs along with couch, TV and storage in closets...)

What would I need to advertise in nj area or should I sign up with airbnb for more business 🤔

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:13 am
I don't know for sure, but I think if you sign up on airbnb, you may not be able to refuse rental to someone who does not keep kosher. You should check their terms & conditions.

If I were you, I'd start advertising in Jewish outlets first and see how it goes.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:16 am
You will have to kasher the kitchen between guests, as there is really no way to be sure that they all keep to the same standards. I would just rent it as a regular Airbnb, with the option to kasher everything for an extra fee.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:31 am
I don't have a kitchen in the basement just thinking of having a electric hot water kettle coffee machine and microwave...
Yes probably most lucrative with regular airbnb

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 8:58 am
You need to make sure your basement meets code — egress window in the bedroom, fire extinguisher, smoke/carbon monoxide detector...

In regards to the kitchenette, in addition to the items you mentioned, guests will want a mini-fridge and a sink.

Also...DH and I stay in these types of rentals when traveling. A pleasant ambiance makes a difference. If you are not good at that, hire a decorator. And be sure to provide little things like soap, a small basket of snacks, seltzer and juice in the mini-fridge, a few trash bags, etc.

And it needs to be really clean.

Wishing you hatzlacha!

jkw

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:01 am
You will also need a small refrigerator, table and chairs, at least a couch if not easy chair as well. Closets w hangars. Laundry privileges. Private entrance is best. Speaking from experience

jkw

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:02 am
You will also need a small refrigerator, table and chairs, at least a couch if not easy chair as well. Closets w hangars. Laundry privileges. Look at luach.com. Speaking from experience

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:14 am
I have seen places advertise they keep a special set of dishes for kosher guests. If you’re not supplying a real kitchen, it should be easier. You can add the option of renting a set of kosher kitchen ware for an additional fee.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:33 am
Is it an ensuite or attached bathroom? If not, is there a way to separate your laundry/tv room from the rental? I know I wouldn't want to be coming out of the bathroom and running into the host coming down to do laundry, or hear their kids watching tv.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:42 am
You need to fix it up a little and make it look like an impressive guest suite so it doesn’t look like it’s just your basement.

I live in a very frum neighborhood and if it’s a nice apartment it would be taken often by guests in the community.
If you advertise for the general public be prepared that you might have just about anyone possible staying in your house with you.
People are actually buying homes just to rent out because it produces a very good income. I’m not sure if it’s the same if you will be upstairs and your just renting your basement. Many people want complete privacy.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 10:39 am
I am confused about a kosher rental.
Most if you would not eat in my home. I eat chalav stam, pas non-yisrael, and really don't understand kemach yashan. I would NEVER use a kitchen or dishes that I didn't know. How could you possibly know if the person who was there before you or last summer was actually kosher? There are people who may rest it and. It be kosher at all, have different standards than you or even people who dress one way and have affairs and/or eat pork. Yes, I hold that in my community that you can accept gifts of food and lunch invites from members of the community who are known to be frum, but to use dishes or not kasher the oven in an Airbnb is unheard of in my circles.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:13 am
I don't use ceramic dishes in "kosher zimmers" but they often have glass dishes and platas for Shabbat and a shaon shabbat other amenities that make it easy for kosher travellers.

I like the idea of kashering as a service, but only if you have cooking facilites: for a microwave and hotplate, it's not worth it.

You can also have beds that can be pushed together or made separate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:24 am
The bedroom has an egress window with bathroom ensuite.... I'd make sure to finish laundry before guests arrive.... newly renovated thinking to keep it for kosher community guests who are looking for short term rentals( calling it Kosher just Jewish community ppl -even though there's no kitchen)

I'll add a small crib, new linens, towels, I already have a recliner couch and TV downstairs...
Mini fridge, microwave and Keurig...
Paper goods, toiletries

Or is it better to have it as a yearly rental? 🤔

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:30 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't use ceramic dishes in "kosher zimmers" but they often have glass dishes and platas for Shabbat and a shaon shabbat other amenities that make it easy for kosher travellers.

I like the idea of kashering as a service, but only if you have cooking facilites: for a microwave and hotplate, it's not worth it.

You can also have beds that can be pushed together or made separate.

Same here. Also you can supply a Shabbat lamp, hot water urn etc.
While I don’t use cook ware even in kosher rentals (in Israel never experienced this elsewhere), I always see them advertised and supplied so I assume some people do use them.
They usually supply Shabbat candles, kiddish cup, Havdala set, challah board cover knife, bentchers etc.
These are all things that would make your rental stand out and wouldn’t cost you too much to invest in. You might want to add a set of disposable dishes, and set up a service where you can supply Shabbat food from a local caterer, be specific about shuls and mikvaot in your area.
These can all be listed on your Airbnb account to attract the right clientele.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The bedroom has an egress window with bathroom ensuite.... I'd make sure to finish laundry before guests arrive.... newly renovated thinking to keep it for kosher community guests who are looking for short term rentals( calling it Kosher just Jewish community ppl -even though there's no kitchen)

I'll add a small crib, new linens, towels, I already have a recliner couch and TV downstairs...
Mini fridge, microwave and Keurig...
Paper goods, toiletries

Or is it better to have it as a yearly rental? 🤔

I doubt you’ll find people willing to take a yearly rental with no kitchen unless you’re willing to do a boarding like situation where they join you for dinner in your kitchen.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I doubt you’ll find people willing to take a yearly rental with no kitchen unless you’re willing to do a boarding like situation where they join you for dinner in your kitchen.

Also the laundry....
Without major renovations, currently this does sound like the set up for either very temporary rentals or else a boarder situation.

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 12:08 pm
Sounds like it would make sense to be for short term visitors if there’s no kitchen especially if it’s not closed off

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 1:08 pm
OP it really depends on your location and what the demand is in your area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers