Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Any ideas how NOT to gain a million pounds over Chanuka????
Previous  1  2  3

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 1:50 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Rorie from full n free just did a whole insta post on these. She has a recipe for reg gluten free, low carb gluten free and baked grain free. 2 different toppings, chocolate drizzle, coconut sugar powder, and some kind of honey glaze. Also fillings made from 100%fruit jelly. There’s someone who also makes her recipes and sells them ready made. Hava java in monsey will also be carrying a full line of these over Chanukah.

I don’t know who Rori is but if it’s not fried, why bother? Also it really doesn’t sound sugar free which is most of the problem for most people. Celiacs, sounds great for. Weight loss or staying in control, not so much.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 6:22 am
During the day, avoid carbs and sugar like the plague, so you will really appreciate your treats. Always save your "cheat foods" for dessert. Make it the last thing you eat for the day, and make sure you have already had a full, healthy meal. If you are feeling "munchy", you will eat more than you intend to.

Use a small plate, and make yourself a portion. Stick to it! Do not go back for seconds. If you want a potato latke, pile on whipped cream cheese instead of sour cream. It will make you feel more satisfied, and it's heathy fat.

Only eat one donut. Eat half of it, and then wait a half an hour before having the other half. If you are avoiding sugar during the day, you may find that too much sugar will make you feel very ill. Since doing keto, I find that anything too sweet just makes me queasy. I'd prefer to eat a juicy tangerine any day.

Total deprivation of a craving always backfires on me, and I start having obsessive thoughts about the foods that I am denying myself. It creates a very unhealthy relationship with food, and then I cave in, and hate myself later. Don't do that!

The good news, is that if you shift your eating style and avoid sugar and carbs as much as possible, eventually your body will react badly to them when you try to sneak a treat. Once your system resets itself, it will reject things that are not working. I had a handful of potato chips last night, and ended up with intense stomach cramps. I used to be able to eat an entire family size bag, and then look down and wonder where all the chips went. A friend of mine thinks I'm insane, because I can eat one square of dark chocolate, and be satisfied.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
I don’t know who Rori is but if it’s not fried, why bother? Also it really doesn’t sound sugar free which is most of the problem for most people. Celiacs, sounds great for. Weight loss or staying in control, not so much.
The gluten free and low carb ones are fried, the grain free one can’t be fried because of the nature of the dough, but for someone that is committed to being grain free it can still offer them something. They are not sugar free, but neither are they sugar laden, and she only uses natural sugars. I know for some people like you, sugar is sugar and it makes no difference, but some people’s bodies do feel the difference with a bit of honey or coconut sugar vs a ton of refined cane sugar. Her line is not just for celiacs. There are people who have non celiac gluten sensitivity, which is a real condition, people on various gut healing diets that don’t have to be fully sugar free but can’t have gluten or grains etc. These are certainly better for you options than the generic variety. I’m not making any money off this, so I’m not sure why I’m defending this, but I think closer to nature foods deserve recognition, even if they aren’t “perfect”.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I haven't tried any of Rorie's line at hava java because they're higher priced than the regular hava java stuff (which is pricey enough!!), did anyone try any of that line? there was an option for the tuna fish...but I was scared to try it.......and if I'm eating a donut once a year, I'd rather just eat a custard/caramel/cheesecake donut!!! I'm not into fruit jelly.....
They’re going to be pricier because they’re made with better for you ingredients.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:48 am
If you are going out to eat, don't go super hungry because once I am hungry, I lose control.

Planning is critical. As others have pointed, out determine at the start of the day what the food is going to be like that day. Treat your calories like a food budget so that you don't starve yourself during the day but eat foods that are less caloric.

Eat only the stuff that is really worth eating. Everyone has some preferences so why waste calories on the stuff that isn't your favorite. Not quite the same but I love stuffing and so I eat the stuffing at Thanksgiving but I am not so crazy about mashed potatoes so I don't have that and I am fine without gravy.

I also don't eat foods that I can eat any time. I am not going to waste calories on stuff that I can buy at the store any time. So I will limit myself (for example) to only home made cakes and cookies.

Also it is really the first bite or first few bites of something that is truly delicious. So take your time to sit down and savor whatever you are eating. The first latke is sublime - the sixth one is just some fried potatoes Smile

Also standard advice is that you don't register satiation until about 20 minutes after the first bite so if you eat quickly you will still be hungry and take seconds. If you eat slowly then chances are you will feel full after eating normal portions.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:47 am
MiriFr wrote:
Go vegan for a week

You’ve never seen vegan donuts/latkas?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
The gluten free and low carb ones are fried, the grain free one can’t be fried because of the nature of the dough, but for someone that is committed to being grain free it can still offer them something. They are not sugar free, but neither are they sugar laden, and she only uses natural sugars. I know for some people like you, sugar is sugar and it makes no difference, but some people’s bodies do feel the difference with a bit of honey or coconut sugar vs a ton of refined cane sugar. Her line is not just for celiacs. There are people who have non celiac gluten sensitivity, which is a real condition, people on various gut healing diets that don’t have to be fully sugar free but can’t have gluten or grains etc. These are certainly better for you options than the generic variety. I’m not making any money off this, so I’m not sure why I’m defending this, but I think closer to nature foods deserve recognition, even if they aren’t “perfect”.

I was t attacking anyone. I asked a basic question that was relevant. Because if you’re not frying something, it’s not really a Chanukah treat.

My point wasnt my health. I was thinking of celiacs. To me there’s no point in eating a donut if it isn’t fried. But there’s also pan frying with oil wgich is gentler than deep frying. Anyways I was just curious. If someone wants to eat a non Chanukah treat, then have fun, but I thought the point was that it is Chanukah.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 6:04 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I was t attacking anyone. I asked a basic question that was relevant. Because if you’re not frying something, it’s not really a Chanukah treat.

My point wasnt my health. I was thinking of celiacs. To me there’s no point in eating a donut if it isn’t fried. But there’s also pan frying with oil wgich is gentler than deep frying. Anyways I was just curious. If someone wants to eat a non Chanukah treat, then have fun, but I thought the point was that it is Chanukah.
Plenty of people do baked doughnuts and baked Latkas, it’s in the spirit of things. Similar to parve cheesecakes on shavuos.

coffeetime

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 5:27 am
On each day you want to eat a doughnut do an extra work out!! and when you eat it, enjoy every bite!!!!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 5:59 am
I plan on making zucchini Latkes. If you make them bigger then you have less oil per bite and you may eat less. When tiny you don’t count them, bigger ones you might.

sabertooth

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:48 pm
Enjoy the treats. And enjoy the other things chanuka is great for- company, family, gifts... focus and enjoy other things in life besides food. Obsessing over donuts and stuff just makes you think abt them more

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 3:57 pm
I already did Sad
I had so much junk this shabbos while away.....

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:43 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Plenty of people do baked doughnuts and baked Latkas, it’s in the spirit of things. Similar to parve cheesecakes on shavuos.

I don’t get this at all. Meanwhile my husband made amazing zucchini jicama latkas that were amazing. Fried in olive oil. I had two on one day over Chanukah. It was enough. First time in two years we even bothered.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise