Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  1  2  3  14  15  16  Next

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:33 am
Hi Everyone!

First a clarification what this thread is not about;

❌This thread is not about the housing situation in Lakewood.
(As an FYI every established heimish community is going through this sardining stage now. Spinoff about the unfairness is welcome.)

❌This thread is not about whether Lakewood is meant to be a city or not.

❌This thread is not about whether you like chassidim in your town or not.
(You can start a spinoff)

❌This thread is not about whether you respect that chassidim don't drive or not.
(You can start a spinoff)

Now, onto the issue that has been pressing me for a while and I would appreciate any clarity on this issue.

My dear chassidish friends;

Most of the roads in Lakewood are not regular residential roads.

The typical speed limit is 40 or 50.

I am worried for my chassidish imas that cross these roads and put themselves in danger.

Is there a way to lobby for sidewalks and red lights in areas where you need to walk or cross?

I know there are heimish people on the board in Lakewood.
Is anyone doing anything about this?
Is anyone educating people before moving out about the situation?

Please understand that you cannot compare this to Monsey or any other community that has sidewalks and red lights.

The situation in Lakewood is so much more dangerous that something really needs to be done about it.

Before responding please note that I am not posting this because I am interested to hear solutions like;

❌Let them start driving.

❌Why do they move here?

❌Let their rebbes say xyz.

❌They don't have to go to these places.

✔You can start a spinoff about any of the above.

In this thread the only thing that I would like to hear is;

Practical solutions to the situation the way it is right now.

The way it is right now=
Chassidish women living in Lakewood and not driving wanting to get through the 70 and the 9.

Thanks.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:35 am
With all those big red X’s I have nothing left to say! What Silent

ShishKabob

I'm not from Lakewood, but I appreciate the thoroughness and the explanation of this thread! Good Luck in getting satisfying answers! Smile Ah freilichen Chanuka!

Chayalle

The 70? People want to cross the 70?

Wow.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:38 am
Chayalle wrote:
The 70? People want to cross the 70?

Wow.

They walk there. Thats what I heard.
Is that false?

When I was there the 70 looked like the Thruway to me. I would be petrified to even walk there. Even on the shoulder.

I can edit my op if that's not correct.

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:39 am
Lakewood is indeed getting better about sidewalks. I remember attempting to walk from West Kennedy to Coventry before sidewalks were a thing. Same for Central (that was propelled by nebach someone getting hit while walking on the "shoulder")

Maybe post to "Ask the Mayor" on the Lakewood Scoop?

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:42 am
Everyone wants more lights, not just chassidish. These are state highways. Getting anything approved takes forever, and sometimes happens never. So yes, welcome to Lakewood ...

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:44 am
cbsp wrote:
Lakewood is indeed getting better about sidewalks. I remember attempting to walk from West Kennedy to Coventry before sidewalks were a thing. Same for Central (that was propelled by nebach someone getting hit while walking on the "shoulder")

Maybe post to "Ask the Mayor" on the Lakewood Scoop?

I'm sure I am not the first one. I'm sure someone asked already.
I want to know if anything is being done.

Ps. Many sidewalks and red lights in heavily populated areas were only approved once there were a certain amount of casualties.

Beyond sad.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:45 am
If you PM me the road names I'll get the speed limits lowered in 6 to 9 months. Unless it is a highway.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:46 am
You basically left little to be discussed with all the things that can’t be discussed. As someone living in Lkwd for 30 years I will say, it’s incredibly frustrating for new people to make so many new problems when issues that needed to be address years ago still aren’t addressed. So u want side walks and traffic lights? Every 2 traffic lights cost a million bucks to install. That’s money that’s coming straight out of tax payers (which are already extremely high) pockets. Not every issue can be addressed and it’s frustrating to people who have been here forever waiting for roads to get repaved and possibly widening the 9 etc that these issues should take precedent. That being said, me k’amcha Yisroel?!? For every crazy thing that happens in this town there is chessed and tzedakah and Torah learning to top it all so I rather not get myself all upset over this. DH and I may have to leave soon for a new job opportunity and yes I will really miss it ...

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:47 am
nchr wrote:
If you PM me the road names I'll get the speed limits lowered in 6 to 9 months. Unless it is a highway.

Can any Lakewood ima chime in here with the exact road/highway names?

The only ones I've heard about are the 70 and rt. 9.

Im not sure they'll be happy to have their speed limits lowered but... let's see.

Thanks nchr.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:47 am
number wrote:
Everyone wants more lights, not just chassidish. These are state highways. Getting anything approved takes forever, and sometimes happens never. So yes, welcome to Lakewood ...

Can overpass sidewalks be built? They have them in Brooklyn over the major arteries. Those things absolutely save lives, and don't increase traffic.

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:48 am
nchr wrote:
She named the two highways in her post lol. Rt 9 and 70. You're not getting the state to lower the speed limit.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:49 am
number wrote:
She named the two highways in her post lol. Rt 9 and 70. You're not getting the state to lower the speed limit.

Watch me. If they are State roads it's very easy. County roads are harder.

You need to say from which intersections.

Last edited by nchr on Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:50 am
number wrote:

The 70 should never be crossed period. The 9, regardless of speed limit, crawls at 2 MPH most of the day ...

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:50 am
Rappel wrote:
Can overpass sidewalks be built? They have them in Brooklyn over the major arteries. Those things absolutely save lives, and don't increase traffic.
They could, but first they have to do a study. Then another study on the study. Then we have a different administration and the first 2 studies are no good so they need to do another one.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:51 am
number wrote:

Ok, thanks for saying this. I just want a better understanding of the situation without all the emotions of the people that are there for 30 or 50 years.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:54 am
nchr wrote:

Please do not get involved. No one wants Rt 9's speed limit lowered. There are traffic lights every few blocks where I live. 40 miles is low enough.

crust

amother [ Coral ] wrote:
The 70 should never be crossed period. The 9, regardless of speed limit, crawls at 2 MPH most of the day ...

Can anyone clarify this?
Is it dangerous for people to cross the 9 or isn't it?

Crookshanks

Crust, you don't live in Lakewood?
Page 1 of 16   1  2  3  14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries