Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3   14  15  16  Next

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:55 am
Lights are totally different than speed limits. If it's a state road they have updated LOS and TIS with pedestrian activity. State DOTs always prefer to lower speed limits because they take the position of supporting flow rather than stopping it (lights and stop signs) on a main road and every TIS they have would analyze multiple speed limit scenarios.

Last edited by nchr on Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

number

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:56 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
You basically left little to be discussed with all the things that can’t be discussed. As someone living in Lkwd for 30 years I will say, it’s incredibly frustrating for new people to make so many new problems when issues that needed to be address years ago still aren’t addressed. So u want side walks and traffic lights? Every 2 traffic lights cost a million bucks to install. That’s money that’s coming straight out of tax payers (which are already extremely high) pockets. Not every issue can be addressed and it’s frustrating to people who have been here forever waiting for roads to get repaved and possibly widening the 9 etc that these issues should take precedent. That being said, me k’amcha Yisroel?!? For every crazy thing that happens in this town there is chessed and tzedakah and Torah learning to top it all so I rather not get myself all upset over this. DH and I may have to leave soon for a new job opportunity and yes I will really miss it ...
Rt 9 can get widened as well, it's not one or the other.

Lakewood promised the state they would make this town more accessible to walkers. When they agreed to the LSTA deal it was on condition that Lakewood put in more sidewalks and lights so the kids would be able to start walking to and from school in a few years, and the courtesy busing could get phased out.

crust

Crookshanks wrote:
Please do not get involved. No one wants Rt 9's speed limit lowered. There are traffic lights every few blocks where I live. 40 miles is low enough.

Thats good to hear.

So, there are enough traffic lights but the people, instead of walking a few blocks to cross safely, are crossing where there is no red light?

Am I getting this right?

Crookshanks

crust wrote:
Can anyone clarify this?
Is it dangerous for people to cross the 9 or isn't it?

I crossed Rt 9 all the time in high school. I waited in the middle. It's not safe to do this but you do what you gotta do. I don't think a mother with children, or a stroller, should do something stupid like that. There are traffic lights by every major intersection where I live (which is also where the chassidish people live).

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 11:57 am
I had a problem about hit and runs on my street. Called Lakewood township a few times. Spoke to someone. No response.
Emailed "ask the mayor" on Lakewood scoop and got a response within 24 hours.
That's the good news.
The person responsible for road and safety is David Silberstein. He right away did a street study and made different recommendations within a month.
Unfortunately he warned me that it would need to be approved by the "committee " and it would take some time. We are now 4 months later and nothing was done. We did have one more hit( bh no run, the guy stayed around to write report!) and I emailed him once more with no response!
Good luck with getting anything done.
1- write to TLS
2-write directly to d.silberstein @Lakewood township
3-gather "proofs" that what you are asking for is in fact necessary!

number

nchr wrote:
Lights are totally different than speed limits. If it's a state road they have updated LOS and TIS with pedestrian activity. State DOTs always prefer to lower speed limits because they take the position of supporting flow rather than stopping it (lights and stop signs) on a main road and every TIS they have would analyze multiple speed limit scenarios.
That's fascinating.

I agree that you should please not get Rt 9 lowered, it already barely moves, but Rt 70 can be fast.

crust

Crookshanks wrote:
Crust, you don't live in Lakewood?

This thread is not about me.
See my OP what it is about.

Thanks!

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I had a problem about hit and runs on my street. Called Lakewood township a few times. Spoke to someone. No response.
Emailed "ask the mayor" on Lakewood scoop and got a response within 24 hours.
That's the good news.
The person responsible for road and safety is David Silberstein. He right away did a street study and made different recommendations within a month.
Unfortunately he warned me that it would need to be approved by the "committee " and it would take some time. We are now 4 months later and nothing was done. We did have one more hit( bh no run, the guy stayed around to write report!) and I emailed him once more with no response!
Good luck with getting anything done.
1- write to TLS
2-write directly to d.silberstein @Lakewood township
3-gather "proofs" that what you are asking for is in fact necessary!

Chassidish imas in Lakewood, do you know if any of these suggestions were already done and what the outcome was?

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:01 pm
crust wrote:
Chassidish imas in Lakewood, do you know if any of these suggestions were already done and what the outcome was?

a local municipality has no jurisdiction over a state road...

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:02 pm
crust wrote:
Thats good to hear.

So, there are enough traffic lights but the people, instead of walking a few blocks to cross safely, are crossing where there is no red light?

Am I getting this right?

Yes, but no. "a few blocks" in either direction can add up to a mile easily. Try that with a double stroller and buggy board in bad weather (plus walking kids) and suddenly crossing at a lull in middle of a busy highway seems almost easier.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:05 pm
cbsp wrote:
Yes, but no. "a few blocks" in either direction can add up to a mile easily. Try that with a double stroller and buggy board in bad weather (plus walking kids) and suddenly crossing at a lull in middle of a busy highway seems almost easier.

I agree.
In other words, there aren't enough red lights for pedestrians.

Correct?

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:09 pm
crust wrote:
Thats good to hear.

Am I getting this right?

Could be. From Central, there are lights on Central, Pine, Prospect, and Chestnut. From each light is a 5-15 minute walk straight down Rt 9. The chassidish people generally live between Oak and Chestnut.
(As an aside, one of my biggest complaints about Rt 9 is the speed limit. Traffic naturally slows it down when it's busy, and at night it's so hard to keep to 40:)

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:10 pm
crust wrote:
I agree.
In other words, there aren't enough red lights for pedestrians.

Correct?

If this is the case, you won't get it. State DOT doesn't obstruct traffic flow with lights and takes the position pedestrians should walk longer and account for extra time just like they don't care how long it takes to make a left turn from a side street (as long as the main road is flowing) because you have a choice to make two right turns.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:11 pm
number wrote:
Everyone wants more lights, not just chassidish. These are state highways. Getting anything approved takes forever, and sometimes happens never. So yes, welcome to Lakewood ...

This is what ppl always say but monsey is FINALLY, very slowly adding lights on the 59 that had similar issues

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
This is what ppl always say but monsey is FINALLY, very slowly adding lights on the 59 that had similar issues

Exactly!!
And this is my question.
Is any lobbying being done? If so, what?
If it doesn't help, why?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:17 pm
The problem with all your X-ed out rules is that without discussing those things, you’re not fully understanding the problem. So there’s no solution without addressing some of those issues.

But yes, people cross the nine when cars are going a lot faster than 2 miles an hour, and although I don’t think I’ve seen people crossing the 70, I do see people walking on the shoulder all the time. Both of those are highways and the speed limit will not change.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:20 pm
nchr wrote:
If you PM me the road names I'll get the speed limits lowered in 6 to 9 months. Unless it is a highway.

Maybe someone responded later on, but just to say - those are state/county highways. If you lower the speed limit on Route 9 and Route 70 then you'll get other people angry.

Though I have to say that lowering the speed limit is not exactly the issue (unless you're interested in lowering it to a negative???).

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
But yes, people cross the nine when cars are going a lot faster than 2 miles an hour, and although I don’t think I’ve seen people crossing the 70, I do see people walking on the shoulder all the time. Both of those are highways and the speed limit will not change.

Chayalla and amother Coral, can you explain this to me?

Are women walking on dangerous roads and are they crossing where it is dangerous to do so, or not??

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:23 pm
crust wrote:
Exactly!!
And this is my question.
Is any lobbying being done? If so, what?
If it doesn't help, why?

Maybe the non chassidim, or the people who drive- don’t want more lights. It be be very inconvenient to have 2-3 more lights between prospect and chestnut. It moves slow enough as is. If there were a vote many people would be against it. Maybe that’s why...

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:23 pm
crust wrote:
Can anyone clarify this?
Is it dangerous for people to cross the 9 or isn't it?

Route 9 is quite long so it depends which part.

Further south where there are less traffic lights and the traffic is actually moving it is dangerous. But it is ALWAYS dangerous to cross a state highway without following traffic rules....
Page 2 of 16   Previous  1  2  3   14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries