Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:24 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Maybe someone responded later on, but just to say - those are state/county highways. If you lower the speed limit on Route 9 and Route 70 then you'll get other people angry.

Though I have to say that lowering the speed limit is not exactly the issue (unless you're interested in lowering it to a negative???).

I also think so and said that in a previous post.

Do you also find chassidish women walking or crossing where it is dangerous to do so?

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:25 pm
I feel it would be wrong to add lights for pedestrians. The road was originally created for drivers...No people who drive want traffic to be worse.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:25 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Route 9 is quite long so it depends which part.

Further south where there are less traffic lights and the traffic is actually moving it is dangerous. But it is ALWAYS dangerous to cross a state highway without following traffic rules....

True. I can't agree more.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:27 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I feel it would be wrong to add lights for pedestrians. The road was originally created for drivers...No people who drive want traffic to be worse.

Ok, I hear that.
I'm not in charge of the final decision. Smile

Chassidish imas, were you aware of this situation before you moved?

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:28 pm
Crookshanks wrote:

This. Adding more lights would really inconvenience drivers. Except for Oak and Route 9 - I can't for the life of me understand why there's no traffic light there.

Crookshanks

Don't know if they were aware or not, but it's hard since kids get kicked out of school if their mothers drive. But I don't think the solution is making a major road in Lakewood slower and traffic-ier.

amother
Blush

My city has a road with a lot of accidents. So they put speed cameras and red light cameras. Now you have to creep along at the speed limit or get a $100 ticket.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Maybe the non chassidim, or the people who drive- don’t want more lights. It be be very inconvenient to have 2-3 more lights between prospect and chestnut. It moves slow enough as is. If there were a vote many people would be against it. Maybe that’s why...

Get it. Lights are not an option and the drivers would be mad if they were added.

But do you see people crossing or walking in areas where it is dangerous to do so?

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:30 pm
Crookshanks wrote:

It's nearly impossible to get levels of service that would warrant traffic light installation (since traffic light installation would actually make existing roadway levels of service worse and obstruct trsffic flow) without having tried everything else and chv something I don't want to mention.

Crookshanks

amother [ Blush ] wrote:
My city has a road with a lot of accidents. So they put speed cameras and red light cameras. Now you have to creep along at the speed limit or get a $100 ticket.

Do you live in Staten Island? I visited once and crawled along empty roads at 25 miles an hour...So frustrating!

real israeli

One thing that chassidish AND not chassidish people need to start doing is wearing reflectors! I cannot tell you how many times I've driven once it starts getting dark (5pm these days) and barely seen someone walking on the shoulder until I passed them. It's a disaster waiting to happen! The streets are not well lit and if the walkers aren't wearing reflectors they are nearly impossible to notice making their presence dangerous by definition.
There are traffic lights on route 9 but you'd probably have to walk 15 minutes to get from one to the other. I don't think they can install many more because it's a state road, it's a highway, the speed limit is already only 40 as opposed to 50/60 on either side of Lakewood, and you can't drive at 40 and stop every 100 feet - practically speaking. It's hard for chassidish people. I know many and yes, they struggle. But it is possible to safely cross at a light if it's important enough to you.
I don't spend much time driving on the 70 so can't chime in about that

crust

Mommyg8 wrote:
This. Adding more lights would really inconvenience drivers. Except for Oak and Route 9 - I can't for the life of me understand why there's no traffic light there.

Can we start with a single solution like this?

Chassidish imas, is anything being done on a smaller scale at the very least?

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:31 pm
crust wrote:
I also think so and said that in a previous post.

Do you also find chassidish women walking or crossing where it is dangerous to do so?

I don't live in an area where I see this often, so I'll let a different poster chime in. I could see though, that it could be frustrating for someone who is used to walking to figure out how to navigate a town where absolutely NOBODY walks.

I think lobbying is a great idea (if you are clear about what you are lobbying for) but for the meantime, I think it would be wonderful for both sides to get more educated. Drivers should get educated about walkers (let's be real, drivers should stop for pedestrians and they don't), and walkers should get educated about how state highways work.

crust

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:34 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't live in an area where I see this often, so I'll let a different poster chime in. I could see though, that it could be frustrating for someone who is used to walking to figure out how to navigate a town where absolutely NOBODY walks.

I think lobbying is a great idea (if you are clear about what you are lobbying for) but for the meantime, I think it would be wonderful for both sides to get more educated. Drivers should get educated about walkers (let's be real, drivers should stop for pedestrians and they don't), and walkers should get educated about how state highways work.

On my end, I can try getting chassidish people educated about how state highways work but I cannot get the drivers educated about pedestrians and that would have to be for another thread because this one is for the pedestrian side only.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:35 pm
real israeli wrote:
One thing that chassidish AND not chassidish people need to start doing is wearing reflectors! I cannot tell you how many times I've driven once it starts getting dark (5pm these days) and barely seen someone walking on the shoulder until I passed them. It's a disaster waiting to happen! The streets are not well lit and if the walkers aren't wearing reflectors they are nearly impossible to notice making their presence dangerous by definition.
There are traffic lights on route 9 but you'd probably have to walk 15 minutes to get from one to the other. I don't think they can install many more because it's a state road, it's a highway, the speed limit is already only 40 as opposed to 50/60 on either side of Lakewood, and you can't drive at 40 and stop every 100 feet - practically speaking. It's hard for chassidish people. I know many and yes, they struggle. But it is possible to safely cross at a light if it's important enough to you.
I don't spend much time driving on the 70 so can't chime in about that

I’m not from lkwd so don’t know this road. But curious if you walk to cross at a light and then have to walk back on the other side of the road? Or you’re walking towards a different street? Because if you still have to walk on the road you’ll now be on the same side of traffic & hey, another PSA- always walk facing traffic.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 11 2021, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:36 pm
Crust is is not a new issue as someone who has bean living in Lakewood on and off for the last 30 years(I keep trying to leave and get yank back Lakewood is a whirlpool everyone gets sucked in).

Were to start?

This is not a Chassidish problem, pedestrian have been a problem way before all the new Chassidish developments, in another thread I wrote in North Lakewood you have men pushing strollers in middle of the street in South Lakewood you have women pushing strollers in the street-Are men mad that women took over their job?

This is a "collage town" and every collage town has a problem with pedestrian traffic.

The town has been "promising" that they will help pedestrian traffic for more years then I have been living here.

In 2000 the big plan was to cut Lakewood into 11 parts and every year put sidewalks in that part after 11 years the whole Lakewood would have sidewalks. Sounds good right? They put sidewalks on Clifton and Forest and then ??? Right Before Coivd I asked what are they doing about this plan and well it ani't happening.

A few years ago the town did a traffic study to study traffic, the problem it only studied cars and how to control them forgetting that Lakewood has a big pedestrian traffic problem. A better study would be to study all types of traffic walking, biking,hiching, and driving. The traffic study made more problems then it solved. Look at the light on 1st and Clifton.

I can not think of off hand what will solve the traffic problem one thing they need to get real on making developers put in sidewalks an both sides of the street and by stores like in back of Evergreen.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:37 pm
crust wrote:
On my end, I can try getting chassidish people educated about how state highways work but I cannot get the drivers educated about pedestrians and that would have to be for another thread because this one is for the pedestrian side only.

It's extremely dangerous for drivers to stop for pedestrians because the drivers behind them go around and can kill the pedestrian. At the end of the day, it might be hard but it's not legal to cross anywhere and wait for cars to stop for you.

real israeli

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 12:38 pm
If you're wearing a reflector you'll be seen regardless of whether with the flow of traffic or against it

crust

gamzehyaavor wrote:
I’m not from lkwd so don’t know this road. But curious if you walk to cross at a light and then have to walk back on the other side of the road? Or you’re walking towards a different street? Because if you still have to walk on the road you’ll now be on the same side of traffic & hey, another PSA- always walk facing traffic.

I figure it means walking a half a mile to a mile to the light and then back.

I understand the inconvenience of it.

The question is if the women moving out know that they should expect this and whether anything can be done to make their lives easier and safer.

amother
Rose

crust wrote:

How about ticketing pedestrians?
Page 3 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries