Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Roasted Carrot Salad

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:12 am
This was an excellent addition to my make-ahead substantial salad repertoire Smile The roasted carrots was a nice touch. Dish would be nice to serve with a grilled fish.

Recipe is easy to scale up to feed more people.

Roasted Carrot Salad

Excerpt From: Carla Hall - Cooking with Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You
Serves 4

When I go to picnics, I’m so happy when I see a salad like this on the table. It’s hearty enough so that it doesn’t get all sad and wilted in the sun, but it’s not heavy, so you feel light enough on your feet to play around afterwards. The North African–Mediterranean blend of garlic and cumin soaks into the chickpeas and carrots as the salad sits, so it becomes more flavorful over time. It’s great as a side dish, but I like to eat it as a light vegetarian lunch, too.

SPICY CUMIN VINAIGRETTE

1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

SALAD

1 pound carrots (about 6), cut in half lengthwise then into 1/3-inch-thick slices at an angle
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 cup walnut halves, toasted
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves

1. To make the dressing: In a large bowl, combine the garlic, salt, and vinegar. Let stand for 2 minutes.

2. Add the mustard, cumin, honey, and cayenne. Whisk until well blended. Continue whisking and add the oil in a slow steady stream. When emulsified, add the chickpeas and stir well to coat. Let stand while you roast the carrots.

3. To make the salad: Preheat the oven to 400°F.

4. On a half sheet pan, toss the carrots with the garlic, cumin, oil, and salt until well coated. Roast, shaking the pan occasionally, until tender and browned, about 25 minutes.

5. Discard the garlic, if you’d like. (I love eating roasted whole cloves, but I know not everyone does.) Transfer the hot carrots to the bowl with the chickpeas. Toss until well mixed. Cool slightly, then toss in the walnuts, feta, cilantro, and mint. Season to taste with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Catering Like Carla

The dressed chickpeas and carrots can be refrigerated overnight. Be sure to bring to room temperature before serving.

If you are making this for a picnic or making ahead for entertaining, add the nuts, cheese, and herbs just before serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics