Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lifehacks to not clean all day

thegiver

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:06 pm
I know...leave the mess til after kids sleep but by them I'm asleep lol

So in these departments what makes you work faster or more efficiently? (I have only a few hrs of cleaning help a week and sometimes none)

Dishes (I learned not to leave dishes in the sink so it doesn't get grimy)
Laundry (I already presort by color)
Tidying toys with MILLIONS of pieces (I started hiding them...otherwise it will stay there until I do something about it sigh)
Clean tables
Clean floors
Linens
Sorting clean laundry
Clean counters
Clean fridge

Showers and toilets I just clean as they get dirty.

I already know about fly lady.

I don't like cleaning around my kids and would love any advice on keeping the mess and chores at bay. Would love to be with them emotionally when I am with them...and not always making it about cleaning up together.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 3:17 pm
Listen to a podcast while you clean with earbuds
I do one room each night - kitchen, bathroom, LR/DR, master bedroom etc. That room gets a full cleaning and everything else is left for the specific night.
I also wash all dishes and clean down counters every night

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:05 am
*Kids are only allowed to eat at the table!!! Prevents crumbs all around the house.

*Everyone must take off shoes when entering the house

*If the kids don't put away toys with a lot of pieces (Legos, puzzle, etc) and Ima has to pick them up, then they go in the closet until Ima decides to bring them out again.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:02 am
Blindfold.

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:56 am
Schedule your week to tackle one room/area a day.
Toys get cleaned up together with kids (you will still do 90% of it, but it is an important lesson, plus they will help somewhat.)
Are your kids old enough to pitch in? They can sweep, wash down counters/table, clear supper table, help fold laundry.
FYI, it is not always best to leave everything until your kids are sleeping. You will be too exhausted by then. Rather, do it with them (except heavy cleaning) .
Hatzlacha!

Frumme

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:16 am
Have your kids help you sort laundry (before and or after washing). A folding board might help you streamline folding.

Get some clorox-tilex "Spray and walk away" for the showers and tubs.

Get a swiffer WetJet to clean floors regularly. Every 2-4 weeks do a deeper clean with steam mop or regular mop

Teach kids to rinse off dirty dishes after using.

Teach kids if anything isn't stored properly in the fridge, it'll be tossed (drink concoctions, half empty leben, peeled mozzarella sticks, etc)

Choose one day a week every week to go through the fridge. If there is a spill etc clean it asap.

Wiping down tables and counters can be a kids chore. Have a basket with cloths and a spray bottle (water and vinegar, method, clorox, whatever you like) available to them

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:40 am
I work at night so even more so than not having the energy I don’t have the time at night. (Disclaimer I do have cleaning help but dh and I both work/have school very full time)
- I only use plastic with the exception of pots and pans and stirring spoons
- I got these locks for my play room closet and its a GAME CHANGER. It doesn’t look evil cuz there’s not actual lock or combination but the rule of one toy at a time was impossible to enforce till now
Child Safety Strap Locks (4 Pack) for Fridge, Cabinets, Drawers, Dishwasher, Toilet, 3M Adhesive No Drilling - Jool Baby https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072.....R651W

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:26 am
Frumme wrote:
Have your kids help you sort laundry (before and or after washing). A folding board might help you streamline folding.

Get some clorox-tilex "Spray and walk away" for the showers and tubs.

Get a swiffer WetJet to clean floors regularly. Every 2-4 weeks do a deeper clean with steam mop or regular mop

Teach kids to rinse off dirty dishes after using.

Teach kids if anything isn't stored properly in the fridge, it'll be tossed (drink concoctions, half empty leben, peeled mozzarella sticks, etc)

Choose one day a week every week to go through the fridge. If there is a spill etc clean it asap.

Wiping down tables and counters can be a kids chore. Have a basket with cloths and a spray bottle (water and vinegar, method, clorox, whatever you like) available to them

Good advice but I wouldn’t give kids Clorox.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:05 pm
Get dark countertops, furniture, clothing

Change lightbulbs to 25 watts. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics