Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/o careers for mothers
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:10 am
I have been following the thread about the best careers for frum women to go into to make money. For me, money is obviously a big factor, but an equally big factor is being available to be around for my kids. What are some careers that allow for a flexible schedule while making a steady paycheck? I am considering going back to school now. My ideal job would be one where I could have the option of working part or full time depending on my stage in life...The real dream is to work three days a week. Am I in dreamland?
Working on my own or starting my own business is not for me...looking for an official career.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:11 am
I don’t work at all because I got a job that’s good for a frum mommy. And now I’m depressed and not the greatest mommy.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:26 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I don’t work at all because I got a job that’s good for a frum mommy. And now I’m depressed and not the greatest mommy.

And I'm working at a job that's great for being a Mommy, but bad for me. And I'm depressed too.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:27 am
I have a job where I can do that, but I had to put in the time and effort, so there were a few years that I wasn’t as available for my kids. They were very little then and it was 100% worth it. Basically what I’m saying is you don’t get there overnight. It’s a serious investment of time and money, and eventually you have the ability to make good money and have a good work/ home life situation.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I have a job where I can do that, but I had to put in the time and effort, so there were a few years that I wasn’t as available for my kids. They were very little then and it was 100% worth it. Basically what I’m saying is you don’t get there overnight. It’s a serious investment of time and money, and eventually you have the ability to make good money and have a good work/ home life situation.

I understand that. I’m trying to get more specifics about which careers can offer that flexibility, and I’ll figure out if the investment is worth it for my family.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand that. I’m trying to get more specifics about which careers can offer that flexibility, and I’ll figure out if the investment is worth it for my family.

All the therapies.
Teaching.
If you are competitive, anything with design, including hair/wigs/makeup.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:46 am
All the therapies.
Teaching.
If you are competitive, anything with design, including hair/wigs/makeup.

Not competitive enough:( that’s why I want a job that I won’t have to be constantly competing for in order to earn money.
I live in lakewood and I was told by a friend that there are no jobs in the ot or speech therapies. Pt is extremely long schooling to get a doctorate, I wish it was more feasible. I don’t know many women who were able to do pt successfully.
Teaching is not for me unfortunately.
😟

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:50 am
I find social work to be very flexible for me right now, but as another poster wrote it took time for me to get to this place. At the beginning I worked terrible hours, like literally from when my kids got home from school through supper time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:12 pm
Would nursing fall into this category?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not competitive enough:( that’s why I want a job that I won’t have to be constantly competing for in order to earn money.
I live in lakewood and I was told by a friend that there are no jobs in the ot or speech therapies. Pt is extremely long schooling to get a doctorate, I wish it was more feasible. I don’t know many women who were able to do pt successfully.
Teaching is not for me unfortunately.
😟

Is this correct regarding the therapies?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this correct regarding the therapies?

Yes, but you don’t need a doctorate to become a pt. If it interests you, look into it. What about special Ed therapist?

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:37 pm
Physical therapist in USA is a doctorate but it’s only 3 years it’s def doable for woman I know a decent amount of female PTs. I’m a nurse there is a lot of options in nursing you can find a job where you work from home possibly. There’s also always nursing jobs you can hopefully find a good work life balance

bernadette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:39 pm
I don’t know how many children you have and what are ages and how much you have to focus on them.
I have a large family, a lot of young kids and some of my children need tutoring/therapy etc.
I wish I didn’t have to work!
It’s so hard!
We need the extra money. I don’t have a minute for myself.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:41 pm
Yes, but you don’t need a doctorate to become a pt. If it interests you, look into it. What about special Ed therapist?

Yes you do.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
nursing, PA, MD, accounting, architecture, law, psychology, any of the therapies, interior design, graphic design

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:24 pm
nursing, PA, MD, accounting, architecture, law, psychology, any of the therapies, interior design, graphic design

I don't see how MD can work for somebody looking for a good work life balance. If she currently already has kids, she would be missing ten years of their lives at least with all the schooling involved.

I'm starting nursing school next semester iyh. My goal is to eventually become an NP. I'll be able to do the job of a doctor with more doable training

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't see how MD can work for somebody looking for a good work life balance. If she currently already has kids, she would be missing ten years of their lives at least with all the schooling involved.

I'm starting nursing school next semester iyh. My goal is to eventually become an NP. I'll be able to do the job of a doctor with more doable training

I do have kids bh:) so yes, definitely would say the shorter the better!
Can I ask where you are starting nursing school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:49 pm

Thank you for these ideas! Graphic and interior design I’m worried may be very competitive

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:51 pm
I want a frum program so I'm doing Touro.

It's a four year program. First two years are really flexible. The last two years will be more intense but it's an investment.

My dream is to do night shifts in hospital. I'm a night owl and am looking forward to being able to make a nice income while working three nights a week and being there for my kids.

The NP part I'll leave for later in life. It's another 2-3 years of schooling. Generally done part time

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:54 pm
But the most important thing would be for you to know where your talents and interests lie. You don't want to spend lots of money and years of your life training for a career that's totally not your speed.

I'm doing nursing because I have a passion for medicine and want to do work that will help people. I could NEVER be an accountant much as I think it would match my lifestyle. I'd be miserable
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics