Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Help why is my potato kugel mushy?

bargainlover

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:31 pm
It’s an eggy/gooey/mushy texture! Used the kugel blade on the brain processor. 7 eggs to 5 lbs potatoes and cup of oil

Last edited by bargainlover on Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:39 pm
Too much water? First thing to add is the salt, wait a few minutes, and then drain the potato/onion water before adding eggs, oil, matzo meal. It should, in the words of my great grandmother, have "enough oil to be oily." But you still don't want to add enough eggs and oil to make it a soup.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:40 pm
What else do you use? I don't like recipes that have flour, it can make it gluey. My go to is KBD, it comes out perfect every time.

tweety1

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 4:48 am
I add seltzer too.

MiriFr

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 5:09 am
I do 1 egg per lb of potatoes. So every 2 potatoes = a pound. I would use 2-3 eggs for 5 potatoes.

(And omg I’m cackling! “ kugel bald on the brain processor” )

Last edited by MiriFr on Fri, Dec 18 2020, 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total

yersp

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 5:10 am
I also had once upon a time an issue with potato kugel. Gave up making it and now started again and it's finally coming out good. Here's what I do:
One egg per potato

Preheat oven to 450.

6 potatoes
1 small onion
6 eggs beaten with fork
3/4 cup oil (pour into the baking pan)
Heaping tsp salt (not a measuring spoon, the dessert spoon that comes with the cutlery)
Sprinkle of black pepper

I grate by hand 3 potatoes. Pieces should look like small lukshin. The other 3 potatoes with the onion get chopped up with the S blade till watery.
Mix that with grated potatoes. Add the salt, pepper and eggs. Mix well. In the meantime put the pan with oil into oven to get warm. Then put mixture into warmed oil and mix with a fork or spoon to incorporate all the oil into the mixture.
Put in oven and bake till top is brown but not crusty.

Pour over kugel 1/2 cup of boiled water and cover well with silver foil.
Lower temp to 375 and bake for 2 hours at least. If you're not eating it, lower temp to 285 and leave kugel there for a good few hours.

nchr

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:27 am
Looks like you switched the number of potatoes with the number of eggs! Also for 7 potatoes you only need a quarter cup oil and a quarter cup seltzer.

Fave

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:16 am
Teomima wrote:
What else do you use? I don't like recipes that have flour, it can make it gluey. My go to is KBD, it comes out perfect every time.

Can you post the recipe from KBD?

bargainlover

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:17 am
nchr wrote:
Looks like you switched the number of potatoes with the number of eggs! Also for 7 potatoes you only need a quarter cup oil and a quarter cup seltzer.

5 pounds potatoes
7 eggs

nchr

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:19 am
bargainlover wrote:
5 pounds potatoes
7 eggs

I don't know about pounds, for 8 potatoes, 5 eggs is sufficient. She said 7 eggs and 5 potatoes, I think if she switched it and had 5 eggs for 7 potatoes it would be better.

Fave

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:23 am
nchr wrote:
I don't know about pounds, for 8 potatoes, 5 eggs is sufficient. She said 7 eggs and 5 potatoes, I think if she switched it and had 5 eggs for 7 potatoes it would be better.

She said 5 lb (pounds)

sub

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 8:42 am
Add some matza meal
Use less eggs
Drain the ground potatoes before adding other ingredients
Use a variety of potatoes ( I dont put alot of idaho) and different blades
Use the double sided kugel pan, on the stove

emzod42

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:11 am
Sounds like too many eggs and way too much oil.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:02 am
bargainlover wrote:
It’s an eggy/gooey/mushy texture! Used the kugel blade on the brain processor. 7 eggs to 5 lbs potatoes and cup of oil

If your recipe isn't working for you with the oven that you have, try a different one. Potato kugel is finicky.

shaynala

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:09 pm
emzod42 wrote:
Sounds like too many eggs and way too much oil.

to me it sounds like too little eggs!
I use at least 8 eggs for 5 pounds, my sister in law uses 12 eggs for 5 pounds and her kugel is a legend.
also is your oven preheated? very important that you work quickly, (mixture shouldn't sit an extra minute) as soon as your mixture of ground potatoes/eggs/oil/salt/pepper is mixed together, pop it into preheated oven at least 400, I usually do 425 or 450, gives the top a beautiful brown crust.
when it's all crusted lower to 350 and bake another good while, total cooking time is well over an hour...

gyf45

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:52 pm
Probably your cooking method. I put my oven on 500 then switch to 400 when it’s brown on top. Lower than that it wld be mushy. I do 7 eggs for 6 potatoes 3/4 c oil and same water/seltzer

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:19 am
Fave wrote:
Can you post the recipe from KBD?

KBD potato kugel
The only things I do differently when making it is I prefer shredded kugel, not pureed, so I use the S blade to puree the onion and one or two potatoes, then the rest of the potatoes I use the large grating blade.

I add a touch less salt and pepper than the recipe calls for.

I usually use one larger onion instead of two medium.

Otherwise, I make it exactly according to the recipe and it's delicious. Rich, creamy, not at all gummy, and conveniently it's also totally kosher for Pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes