Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
I would love to rid of my smartphone
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:16 am
I feel like this thread may have been prompted by one of Peter's videos.

Motherhood

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:25 am
wif wrote:
This is what works for me:

I have a "dumb" phone to make phone calls with. I also have a tablet, with WhatsApp. Its cumbersome, and I leave it in my small home office. So I have access to it only when I leave the main part of the house and go to the office, which cuts back on the distraction considerably, since I dont see or hear any notifications, etc. You can probably do the same by leaving it in a closet or something.

Good luck!

I do the same. I love it. Dumb phone is always on/near me and my tablet stays home while I’m at work and not always connected to the internet. I use it when I’m bored I.e. available.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:37 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Does kosher OS have a music app and maps? I'm looking for a phone that has music, maps/waze and texting and nothing else.

Yes. It has also has a camera and shiurim apps (TorahAnytime, OU Torah, YUTorah, Rabbi YY Jacobson, some others).

And I'm touched, though baffled that I got a hug.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:47 am
I have a smartphone. An iPhone actually
I use it to be on this site mainly and look up recipes that I’d like to make kosher or can kosherize in other words.
I mainly got it to take pictures (literally I have more pics and vids than music lol.) since I love taking photos of anything and everything.
I am on social media, on Facebook and Instagram but I rarely post or am on there.
It’s the only way I can be connected to my other family members who are not Jewish so I can see what they’re up to and that they can be in touch with me. I’m not really a call and I’ll answer type. I like texting better.

My chasidish rav holds it’s okay as long as I don’t have an addiction so it interferes with my daily tasks.
I have downtime set up and (all apps except WhatsApp and phone or texts are turned off until like 10AM) that really helps.

It only works on iPhone, though. Not sure about android

peacenine

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I got rid of WhatsApp like 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I don’t have any social media.
I have a dumb phone that has the same # as my smart phone so I can leave my smart Phone in the car or at work and still get my calls and texts. For keeping up with family I use WhatsApp which I can get thru reg texts. Disclaimer I’m in my 20s and my friends and family r all on social media. They make fun of me but I know they are jealous of the discipline it takes...

I'm impressed!! I have a flip phone in my house already but it's a different number so I dont use it.
Please tell me how I could have the same number for both. This would be my ideal set up

bumpkin2

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:39 pm
bump how do you use the same number on two phones?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:52 pm
I have done it and I would highly recommend it.
-At first (and I mean months, maybe a year...) it's really really hard. It's a mini amputation. And the flip phones are hard to navigate. It's like you're learning a new language. Now I can type crazy fast on flip phone. I should get a reward or something.
-I still have access, but not so handy. I got internet on my laptop. But I need to log in and I don't carry it with me. I couldn't cut out internet completely.
-Some things are still hard. Like travling for example. You don't have access to maps or local eateries... Everything is harder to navigate these days without a smartphone.
-but... It's a price I gladly pay. I am much more present. I go much shorter to the bathroom lol. There is nothing to do there than what you went in for. I enjoy my kids more. I appreciate the moment whatever I'm doing. Cooking, laundry... I listen to shiurim more....

It really does take time. You have to be willing to put in the work to reap the benefits.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media