Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
My husband is allergic soysauce,nuts,seseme seeds,tofu

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 12:56 pm
Help, my husband cannot eat soysauce,sesame seeds, tofu, all nuts,and chickpeas. I try to eat healthy and I love all these things. Plus most good recipe's (especially stir fryes and salads ) require one or two of these ingredients. Does anyone have any suggestions for nutritious and tasty meals? Also does anyone know how to subsitute for soysauce?

mommy2

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 1:01 pm
u can make dairy or meat meals

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 1:13 pm
Sorry, doesn't sound too limiting to me. I can't think of even one thing that I cook that uses those things, besides maybe soy-sauce and sesame seeds in one salad. But I guess if you're used to cooking them regularly, it must be hard. It's a little hard to give meal suggestions unless you're more specific as to what kind of things you're looking for.

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:04 pm
I guess I am looking for stirfrys and even meat recipes that do not have soysauce in them. I really use soysauce regularly even in chicken, as we do not like heavy and thick sauces

elisecohen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:00 pm
Okay, here are some suggestions--I can give you recipes for anything that sounds good, and more ideas once I know what kinds of things appeal:
Crockpot summer veggie medley
vietnamese salad rolls (yes, you can do it without soy)
two bean sloppy joes
Tuscan bean and pasta stew
roast lima beans with garlic and olives
Portuguese potato and kale soup
Salad pitas
Lebanese white bean salad
Enchanted broccoli forest
Southwestern bean cakes (kind of a veggie burger)
White bean and vegetable gratin

If you want an asian kind of flavor, use mirin, vinegars, pickled ginger, fresh ginger, and similar.

Good luck. I check out all the veggie cookbooks at the public library and copy out the recipes that appeal to me and dh. Then I keep them on 3x5 cards in a box and pull them all out to make monthly menu plans with the kids' input.

elisecohen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:01 pm
Oh I forgot--you can use seitan instead of tofu. It is made from wheat. In fact you can make your own from bulgur wheat. Many people prefer it to tofu or tempeh because it is more "meaty" and less "tofu-y."

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:42 pm
Wow elisecohen Thank you so much in advance, you are a lifesaver. Your recipe ideas sound so pretty and fun. If it's not a bother can I have the recipes for the Crockpot summer veggie medley
vietnamese salad rolls,
two bean sloppy joes

Salad pitas
Lebanese white bean salad
Enchanted broccoli forest
Southwestern bean cakes (kind of a veggie burger)
I know it is a lot so whatever you have time for I would be very grateful for. I also know about the seitan, and again what do you use instead of soysauce?

elisecohen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:32 pm
Okay, I'll do a couple at a time.
Crockpot summer veggie medley:
3 chopped zucchini
1 ear of corn cut off the cob (or equivalent frozen or canned)
1 sliced leek
1 seeded & minced jalapeno pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 peeled, chopped tomatoes
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Throw it all in the crockpot and cook on low 5 hours

Vietnamese salad rolls:
12 round 9" rice paper wraps (if you cannot get these kosher by you, you can substitute leaves of boston or romaine lettuce)
6-8 leaves of romaine in thin strips
1 C bean sprouts
1 shredded carrot
1/3 C each fresh mint and cilantro
1 block seitan in thin strips
Dressing made of 1 T honey, 6 T rice vinegar, 1 T oil, 1 tsp rice wine, a pinch of salt.
Dip the wraps one by one in a pan of lukewarm water for 2 seconds, layer on a plate alternating with moist paper towels. Heat the seitan strips in a skillet in a little oil for a few minutes, til warmed through. Serve everything burrito-style, with you having made the wraps up in advance, or fajita-style by putting everything out on the table for the family to make their own wraps according to taste.

elisecohen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:36 pm
Two bean sloppy joes:
1 can each black-eyed peas and red kidney beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups bottled marinara sauce
1 can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
1/2 Cup each frozen cut green beans and chopped green pepper
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
kaiser or hamburger rolls
Bring all ingredients except of course the rolls to a boil in a skillet, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until the bell pepper is tender. Serve on the buns.

Lebanese white bean salad:
2 C canned white beans
1 chopped cucumber
1 chopped tomato
1 T fresh dill
1 T fresh mint
1 tsp cumin
1 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Mix in advance in a bowl and refridgerate a few hours to allow flavors to mix.

I'll post the others, but now the fast is over here and I'm off to make havdala and get some water!

elisecohen

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 7:34 am
Salad pitas:
1/2 C seitan, mashed
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 scallion, chopped
1/3 C chopped red bell pepper
2 T pickle relish (sweet or dill)
Mash all of these together with any other salad-type additions you like, stuff in whole wheat pitas along with
1 C shredded lettuce

2 C green beans, steamed 5 minutes
4 C canned white beans
3 tomatoes, seeded and quartered
1 small red onion, chopped
1 chopped bell pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
5 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 C olive oil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Topping:
1 C bread crumbs
1 T olive oil
Preheat oven to 375*. Combine all ingredients except topping in casserole dish. Mix the topping crumbs and oil and sprinkle on top. You can keep it in the fridge at this point for the whole day. Cover in foil, bake 30 minutes, uncover, bake 30 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.

This one is so easy and takes so little "potchking" at the last hour before dinner time, always something of a witching hour here. And even my incredible picky 10 year old found she loves it!

elisecohen

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 7:39 am
Enchanted broccoli forest:
1 lb broccoli
1 T oil
1 C chopped onion
3/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T lemon juice
6 C cooked rice
black pepper, cayenne
2 T fresh dill
3 T fresh mint
1/4 C fresh parsley
1/2 C toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
Steam broccoli a few minutes til barely tender. Saute onion and salt 5 minutes in the oil, add garlic and lemon juice and cook 2 more minutes. Mix in greased 9x13 pan with the rice, herbs, and seeds. Arrange broccoli flowers-up like a little forest. Bake at 325* for 15-20 minutes.

Southwestern Bean cakes:
2 15 oz cans white beans
1/4 C broth or water
2 T lime juice
3 T minced cilantro
1 minced jalapeno pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 C cornmeal
1/4 C flour
3 T olive oil for frying
Mash beans, broth and lime juice in a bowl, and add all other ingredients except the oil. Add more cornmeal if needed to make mixture less sticky. Make into 8 patties. Fry in a nonstick pan for 4 minutes on each side til browned.

These are also ones my picky 10 year old has found she actually likes. In fact even my vegetarian-food-phobic MIL liked the bean cakes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics