Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Girls high school
  1  2  3  28  29  30  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:51 am
Can anyone tell me the difference between oros and aderes?

What about bais Yaakov and shiras Devora?

What about meon and bais shaindel?

What about bais kaila and bnos bais Yaakov?

My daughter is a good smart regular bais yaakov girl trying to figure out where to apply. Can’t figure out difference between the schools. Need to pick 4. Don’t have pull anywhere

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:38 pm
Anyone??

My daughter is in 8th grade and I need to apply to high school in January

Thank you

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:57 pm
Speaking as a girl who grew up in Lakewood though most of these places were not around when I was in school 15 years ago...

I have a a niece in Aderes. I don’t know much about Oros but I do know My niece in Aderes LOVES the school. I think Aderes has a much more homey feel as it is a smaller school but becoming quite popular. My niece is more on the quiet side and she’s shining there.

Bais Yaakov and Shiras Devorah are the biggest schools in Lakewood. Bais Yaakov is a huge school, pretty academic. If a girl needs individual attention these are not the schools for her, it’s very easy to get lost. Shiras Devorah also, huge academic place. Both have lots of extracurricular programs. My nieces in Shiras Devorah had a great experiences there but they are the first to say it’s not for everyone. You need to be able to hold your own, otherwise it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. Shiras Devorah is considered the “IT” school in Lakewood.

I have a niece in Bnos Bais Yaakov as well. I don’t know much about the school but I do know she’s happy there.

I went to Bais Kaila. I loved loved loved everything about it. There were amazing teachers and staff though I know some of them are not there anymore. I had a great experience and made my good friends there. Academically there are two tracks. A higher level for those who want and a regular level. There is work and tests etc but it’s not crazy and excessive. I do know the school changed a bit but I do not know in what way.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:01 pm
Thank you!!

Do u know anything about bais shaindel?

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:25 pm
Bais shaindel is definitely where the frummer more heimish/chasidish type go as a continuation from Bais rivka rochel if u know what I mean... They provide a lot of services for girls that need and have different academic tracks. Meon is extremely frum and yeshivish and I'm not sure how experienced they are when it comes to a girl needing a little extra .... They're still pretty new . Bais Yaakov is amazing for the cookie cutter type girl that can follow the styles and rules of the school but not for a girl that's a little out of the box.... Shiras Devorah is very big but has a very warm homey feel! The principal Mrs David is like a bubby to each individual girl and knows each girl by their name already in ninth grade. I was extremely impressed with how the school is run and how they try to recognize each girl for who she is. Its hard cuz it's a big institution but overall my daughter is extremely happy there. It's not all Bais Tova girls she says it's more like 2/3 to 1/3 new girls in ninth grade with most girls coming from Bais faiga, tiferes, or tiferes chaya. It's more of a heimish by type of school.... It is a very academic school. Bais Kaila and bnos bais Yaakov are definitely more chilled, with it type of high schools in town. If u drive around town and see the girls you'll see what I mean... Oros and aderes are supposedly the most academic schools in town not sure crowd wise in aderes but oros is definitely very balabatish girls that go there... Good luck! Hope it's a help!

small bean

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:45 pm
Baid shaindel is the biggest high school in Lakewood with about 900 girls. It is acholent pot of lakewood. It used to cater to the more yehsivish and heimish school, but today it is more mixed as all the schools are. Academics are what you make of it. The school is fun and very well run.

I also have an 8th grader and really am chilled about the whole thing. They all have maaloa and chesronos ans wherever you end up, daven she finds goos frienda and all will be good.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 4:00 pm
Look up the many threads on imamother about Lakewood high schools!
There are pros and cons to every single school.
My opinion is that you don't really pick the school, in most cases the school picks you!
It's really important to be happy and open minded!
The system where you have to apply to 4 school not including the very big ones that you mentioned (bais yaakov,bais shaindel...)makes it that you basically apply everywhere else!!! LOL
Ask every high school girl around you where she goes and what does she like or doesn't like about her school.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:26 pm
Firstly I Woukd ask the mechaneches or principal of her current school for help. They know her and the high schools. Doesn’t your school have a person that helps with this?
Then I Woukd talk to the other moms Of her friends. Also talk to people in your neighborhood, work or shul who have similar types of homes to yours and ask them about the school they send to.
But one thing to have in mind is that yo have very little say which of the 4 you go to. It will depend on who accepts your daughter so make sure you are ok with all 4

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 9:48 pm
small bean wrote:
Baid shaindel is the biggest high school in Lakewood with about 900 girls. It is acholent pot of lakewood. It used to cater to the more yehsivish and heimish school, but today it is more mixed as all the schools are.
Yes when meon first started it was intended to be what bais shaindel was back in the day. Although I hear meon has more of a mix as well.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:04 pm
Thanks everyone. I will definitely ask her school and friends mothers. I just wanted an idea of what the schools are like.

Anyone know about bnos bais Yaakov?

Also someone on the other thread said to stay away from oros. Anyone know why?

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. I will definitely ask her school and friends mothers. I just wanted an idea of what the schools are like.

Also someone on the other thread said to stay away from oros. Anyone know why?

I know a lot of ppl that are very happy in oros.
It's a very intense, high academic bais yaakov place from what I've heard. My dd don't go there.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bnos bais yaakov had some crazy politics going on a few years ago. It was major. I haven’t heard about them in a few years so I’m assuming it’s calmed down? Talk to someone who sends there.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Bnos bais yaakov had some crazy politics going on a few years ago. It was major. I haven’t heard about them in a few years so I’m assuming it’s calmed down? Talk to someone who sends there.

it's a great school, but the crowd is a bit mixed. Hanhalla and teachers are great! They work really hard to make school both enjoyable, academic, social etc.. and make menthes of the girls.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:38 am
Does anyone have info about the school that is just starting next year Tehlles Bais Yakkov?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:06 am
What about chedvas?

What’s the new ashira high school?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:07 pm
So I guess if we want academic then aderes, oros, bais yaakov, and?? Is bais kaila academic or shiras Devora?? Doesn’t sound like bais shaindel or chedvas are academic

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:29 pm
Bais Kaila is definitely more chilled and Shiras Devorah is more academic

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:43 pm
Thank you!!

small bean

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:17 pm
Bnos bais yaakov is fun and they really care about each girl. The school is much smaller thsn the others. I have neices there and they are overall happy.

I believe if you apply to either bais yaakov or bais shaindel, you need to choose 5 schools.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What about chedvas?

My DD is in 9th grade in Chedvas.

In terms of academics, the classes are pretty small (19-22 girls) with 4 'tracks' with the 'highest' offering AP classes and college credit and the 'lowest' being a modified curriculum/schedule for girls with real learning issues. Girls move between the tracks for various subjects on an as-needed basis. The modified track has the option of working in the preschool in Bnos Bracha for part of the day.

Mrs Jaffe works very hard to unify the girls so that the tracks don't become cliques. In general, there is a very warm feeling in the school and the girls feel heard and cared about. Many of their policies seem to be made in a way to make it easy for the girls to do the right thing without the need for constant 'policing' (e.g. the uniform calls for ankle-length skirts which means which socks they wear is almost a non-issue and there are no arguments about how to measure 4 inches, etc. and even if a girl grows a few inches, her skirt is still tznius).

Most of the teachers are great and really want to teach the girls (as opposed to teaching the curriculum no matter what). The day is not divided in half (morning limudei kodesh/ afternoon limudei chol). the schedule is mixed throughout the day (although I believe all classes start the day with Chumash). This gives them the option to hire some great teachers that might work in other schools during 'regular' hours.

They have developed a few very interesting classes including a combined history/historia that covers all of world history in 4 years using secular sources and tanach to understand the events and put them into perspective. They have also said that they will be offering drivers' ed in 11th grade and allowing the girls to drive once they qualify for a license.

If you have any other specific questions, I can do my best to answer them.
Page 1 of 30   1  2  3  28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries